Morrison Springs is Dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for the improvement of the boat ramp at Morrison, hopefully the new boat ramp will cut down some of this type activity. This was the view as SeaYoda and I surfaced one day.

Note: though this is standard redneck procedure at Morrison, this guy was pretty polite. I think though if he had tires that were a little bigger though that his truck would float and he wouldn't need the boat at all...

BTW... He just left his truck parked in the water while he was out in his boat fishing... kinda funny itself.

IMAG0142_small.jpg

IMAG0144_small.jpg

Yknow...after seeing the houseboat there last year...there truly are some entertaining people in the world!

Carolyn:sharks:

I stopped by Saturday and took some more pictures:

Morrison Springs Construction - May

One item to mention is the "Scuba Center" tank holder. However, it's about 5 foot high in 2 foot of water. So no giant strides :rofl3:

They had a ramp and floating dock sitting on the ground, maybe thatll connect the Scuab Center to the water?

You know what? I like it. Yes, it may "ruin" the unaltered state of the previous spring, but after considering what the construction projects did for Peacock, Orange Grove, Troy, Emerald, etc., I think this is much in the same spirit, and looks to be very nicely done.

If there is a set of nice steps that goes down to the water from the tank prep area, I think it will be well worth the effort.

SCUBA CENTER? OH my oh my! Well...that might become a traffic jam. It sure looks pretty tho! I can't wait to see everything done! I do think they might have gone a little overboard. The area is so pretty natural.

Carolyn:sharks:

I stopped by Saturday and took some more pictures:

Morrison Springs Construction - May

One item to mention is the "Scuba Center" tank holder. However, it's about 5 foot high in 2 foot of water. So no giant strides :rofl3:

They had a ramp and floating dock sitting on the ground, maybe thatll connect the Scuab Center to the water?

that ramp scares me... they'll let that floating dock and ramp protrude out into the main body of the water....

the "scuba center' bench just makes me laugh. When SeaYoda and I were at the first meeting they had out there 2 years ago, we asked for some gear tables to gear up on. We didn't mean on the stupid dock/boardwalk. In fact we tried to tell them that the divers didn't want the boardwalk. we asked for gear tables on land...

in this case with the "scuba center" it looks like they were kinda clueless and thought it was going to be a boat dive. I guess I can sorta applaud their efforts for thinking of divers, but the last thing we need is divers taking gear bags out on the dock to get ready, then leaving crap all around the dock 'scuba center'.

oh welll.....

I prefer to look at the positive. Instead of a ramp with a "scuba center", they could have easily have placed a sign that said "no diving" and forced us up the road to Vortex where they could have collected county fees.

Guess I'm the only one happy that "county progress" didn't exclude divers for a change...

I can see what you mean PerroneFord, It is a great thing that the Local Gov't didn't "force" us north as an ONLY alternative. It's nice to have the option of Diving Vortex AND or Morrison too. We drove out from P-Cola and dropped into Vortex twice and headed to Morrison for an additional tank. It is NICE to get wet at several sites in one day.

I think that Mile_s's comment was meant at providing input about wants on what facilities to provide to us by the designers of the facility and when the suggestion was only half-way listened to. They provided tables...but the location wasn't listened to. If this site is used MORE than Vortex because of the cost then that Table WILL get crowded and I'd rather do like we have in the past.... Gear up at the car and HUMP it down to the water.... Kind of defeats the Table....

The way it is now... You drag all your gear and set up at the end of the boardwalk and then when your rig is ready, you get to walk back to your car to put your bag away... if the set up table was closer then it would SIMPLY be more convenient for us....
HEY it's MUCH better than the table we had before.... We didn't have one!!!! Thank you for giving us an additional option and a cleaner look to the Spring. I'm looking forward to getting wet there again.

I was there this evening on my way across the panhandle and it doesn't look close to being ready for opening......I would like to see miracles but I'd give it 3 or 4 months minimum.

New pavillion is up, boardwalk is nearly complete, I'm assuming steps into the water from the Scuba Center(which by the way is too tall to be usefull for most, and the tank racks are too far back - but built in good spirit), and it needs to be paved. Thats quite a bit of work to get done in a little over a month, but who knows?

I'll agree completely with Perrone, the work is on par with Peacock State Park, it isn't pristine anymore, but its atleast not as much of a monstrosity as Little River.

We went swamp stomping in the woods just East of Morrison today and damned near got lost.

Back
Top Bottom