Morrison Springs is Dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think he meant it wasn't going to be as bad as it originally sounded.

From the initial design rumors, it sounded like they wanted to run the boardwalk either around the entire basin, or a larger percentage of it, or out into the middle...

from the pictures I've seen, it doesn't seem like they went as far out as I was afraid they would...

It certainly changes things, but it can't be much more than the arc from the beach to the rope swing. It's up around head level if you were on the ground, so if you're floating above the cavern and taking photos in that direction, it'll be prominent in the photos. On the other hand, you could basically shoot a 270-degree pristine panorama.

Once it's done, I may have to do a "Two Views of Morrison Spring" photojournalism project. If the remaining work is basically just finishing what's been started, I'm fairly certain I can make both a glowing "as beautiful as always" set and a mournful "paved paradise to put up a parking lot" set of the same spring on the same day and have each of the views be convincing.

Fish food.. it's been a good 20 days since your last update, have you been on site lately? If so, what kind of progress did you see, if any! =)

Also, do you know where one would call to get permission to dive it? With the Vortex Springfest coming up on April 19th & 20th, I'm sure many folks would love to get permission to dive from the regular water hole entrance.

Ill be there Saturday, the 12th (tomorrow) and take some pictures. As far as diving it, I highly doubt that will be possible untill all the expensive equipment is gone. However, you can call the Walton County Commissioner in charge of the project and find out. Here's his info:

Scott Brannon
brascott@co.walton.fl.us
Dist. 1 Commissioner
(850) 835-4860

EDIT:

Just found out the boat i was goin out on tomorrow got cancelled. Wont be goin by Morrison.

Well dang, I wanted to hear the report. I am going to try to dive it next weekend if the floods stay away.

I've sent Mr. Brannon an email and I'll let you guys know what he says. Since Vortex Springfest is coming up, now would be a good time for them to open up a small entrance for us to dive it. If not, I'll be on google earth looking for another entrance to the river :)

I've sent Mr. Brannon an email and I'll let you guys know what he says. Since Vortex Springfest is coming up, now would be a good time for them to open up a small entrance for us to dive it. If not, I'll be on google earth looking for another entrance to the river :)

Might wanna call. Ive sent several with no reply :shakehead:

Ive sent several, don't hold your breath. :shakehead:

Like I said earlier, they didn't seem that interested in divers or what we had to say when we attended that that onsight meeting that the county comission had a while back....

call it rebuilding a park or whatever, but this is about getting local fishermen a boat ramp that doesn't get blocked by those pesky divers who come in from out of town.

The boardwalk heads down to the beach entry, but there is another branch thats going to route around through floodplains and off to the West side of the basin. It will not be pristine. Sure it seems like it will be a nice park, but certainly not pristine.

Frank - Morrison is flooded now, and will be next weekend. There's a line of showers headed over there as we speak.

Just last week(early) Eduardo and a guy named Zach dove Morrison with 100' of visibility. Last weekends rains and the rains this weekend killed that though.

That would be nice of them but I would not count on it. I have another way in but it does no good the way that holmes creek looked last weekend. And like SB said, more rain coming so I am sure it would be a wash.

Well if Morrison is a wash and any of the other springs besides Vortex, we still have slots open for the offshore dives! I am really bummed about Morrison tho...maybe later in the summer! Hopefully all will be ready for Vortoberfest!

Carolyn:sharks:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom