Minimum depth for PADI AOW deep checkout dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BORG

Contributor
Reaction score
Tucker, Georgia, just northeast of Atlanta
# of dives
100 - 199
I want to go ahead and get my PADI AOW this summer and there is lake in Tenn. called Loch-Low-Minn. I've heard it has max. depth of 75 ft. I've heard it's clear(40-50ft vis) and close by(about 3 hours from Atlanta, saving some gas $$$$). Would this qualify as enough depth for PADI AOW deep checkout dive?

Thanks.

Anything deeper than the PADI OW "max depth" qualifies, although I personally think it should be far closer to the AOW max depth than the OW max depth for it to be much point to it..

Barely. Beyond 60 ft is technically considered deep. BUt 75 unless one is susceptible easily to being narced it kinda defeats one of the purposes of the dive and that is t oshow the effects of narcosis on an individual. I'd want the option of being able to go to 100. Usually however you don't choose the site. The instructor does. As an instructor I'd want at least 90-100.

You may want to also consider Lake Jocassee in the Upstate of SC. Depths there allow dive training within required limits. For AOW qualification, I would expect deep dives to be in the range of 100 to 130 fsw to get the full training benefit and experience of deep diving conditions. I would personally not consider 75' as sufficient, although I would have to check the PADI Standards to verify. With SDI, the first dive is limited to 100 fsw, and second dive is limited to 130 fsw. I would expect actual training dives be very close to these maximums.

This may spark some controvery - but if an Instructor is willing to certify you as Deep Diver qualified with a maximum depth of 75', I would question their motives.

I want to get my AOW this year. I dive Loch Low Minn regularly, but I won't let my LDS take me there if that is where they want to go. I hit the trench regularly at LLM, and it's a stretch to hit 74' let alone 75'. You can get it if it rains for the next 2 weeks or maybe dig a hole to stick your computer in.:shakehead:
I have been to 90' a few times at other locales and I would prefer to do the skills/tests at that depth or more for an AOW. LLM is a fun and nice dive, but I would personally feel ripped off if that is where my "deep dive" took place. IMHO
(edit) An alternate location would be Alabama Blue Water Adventures in Pelham, Al. It's just outside Birmingham and alot deeper for your AOW

You may want to also consider Lake Jocassee in the Upstate of SC. Depths there allow dive training within required limits. For AOW qualification, I would expect deep dives to be in the range of 100 to 130 fsw to get the full training benefit and experience of deep diving conditions. I would personally not consider 75' as sufficient, although I would have to check the PADI Standards to verify. With SDI, the first dive is limited to 100 fsw, and second dive is limited to 130 fsw. I would expect actual training dives be very close to these maximums.

This may spark some controvery - but if an Instructor is willing to certify you as Deep Diver qualified with a maximum depth of 75', I would question their motives.

If you take a better look at the op you'll see that this is an AOW question, not a Deep Specialty question.

I'll find an instructor who can find a place close by with reasonably clear water and depths of at least 100 Ft. The lake where I do my training dives is Lake Lanier, north of Atlanta. If I got to 100 ft in that lake with it being pretty murky, I probably couldn't see my hand in the front of my mask without a good light.

If you take a better look at the op you'll see that this is an AOW question, not a Deep Specialty question.

My reply was based on the title of the OP Thread.

You are right - it is possible to get your AOW without Deep. SDI for example requires 25 logged dives plus four specialties - and offers about 30 possbile specialty areas available for the OW Diver. I would personally suggest that Deep be a core requirement since many Dive Operators consider AOW and Deep certification synonymous. If not for AOW - then I certainly would recommend the OP take Deep for the training value and experience.

Dive Safe!

Last edited:
So those of you that like to take your students to 100', do you set them up in larger tanks?

I ask this because, personally, I follow and recommend that no one dive deeper than the number of cubic feet of air they have on their backs. So when diving an AL80, we keep our max depth at 80' (yes, I know an 80 is only 77.4cf, but I get mine pumped to 3200, so we actually do have 80cf in them...).

If you do take your students beyond 80' in an AL80, what's your gas management plan?

BTW, to answer the OP's question, yes, 75' is deep enough to satisfy the PADI AOW deep dive standards.

Back
Top Bottom