AOW Deep Dive uncontrolled ascend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you and your team, including the instructor and DMs, agree on a dive plan that includes lost buddy plan, gas turn around pressure, compass bearings, path of the dive, emergency procedures, max depth of the dive, max time, etc.? How did you know you were coming up fast? Did you have a dive computer/digital gauge on you?

Hi BoltSnap,

I can't recall it exactly, as it was more than 4 months ago, we did have pre-dive discussion, however not in such a detail you're describing. Certainly no emergency procedures, max depth or time weren't mentioned.
Yes I did have Zoop Novo, and if I'm not mistaken it was beeping, however I'd be lying if I'm to say I'm certain of it, considering I was fighting buoyancy issues, discomfort in my ears, bubbles etc.
Speed of ascent could be estimated in the attached dive profile I shared in the 1st post.

Don’t be too disappointed.

Something similar happened to me during AOW.

Albeit uncontrolled, you managed to surface safely. You can improve your buoyancy control by practicing dumping and ascending very slowly.

From my limited experience, people new to drysuits do not dump gas from their drysuit early enough: they wait too late before dumping, when they are already ascending with a bit of speed. You want to feel when you start being floaty and think whether you need to dump a bit then.

Like @Norwegian Cave Diver said, try to keep an eye on your SPG every 5-7 mins, that will help you to have more awareness about when to ascend.
BlueTrin, tanks for the kind words too!

You're right, I was/am quite new with the dry suit too, that was my 8th dive with it, now I have about 20 more.

I glad you were not injured.
However....
Your instructor violated standards, thus her competency is questionable.
(1) The timed task at depth disappeared from the PADI AOW Deep Dive #curriculum in 2009, and was replaced by looking at colors at depth. The timed task is not done until dive #3 of the full Deep specialty course.
(2) The instructor must be in direct supervision of all the student divers at all times. On the deep dive, this cannot be delegated to certified assistants. And, if your DMs were in training, they were not even certified assistants. Your dive plan violated the requirement for direct supervision, and the execution of the plan was worse.
Frankly, you ought to ask for your money back and complain to PADI.
(I assume PADI, since you refer to AOW.)

Thanks Tursiops,

I think you're right on all points.

Though at the lake we were diving, I don't think you can see any colors once you hit 20m depth, it's literally pitch black. Perhaps that's why the instructor opted for numbers in place of color palette.

Whilst I was replying to you yesterday, SB crashed....

The good news is that your ascent rate is not that bad, still fast but it shows you were either properly weighted or managed to vent some gas.
Mistakes happen, as your instructor proved by getting his certification.

The dive you tdescribe shows a lack of situational awareness, regard for safety and any sane agency standards.
My suggestion would be to change the instructor.

Hey Vicko,
Thanks.

I was done with that instructor after AOW, went for vacation to Crete, dove there and when I came back I told the story to the LDS. I understood yesterday that the lady instructor isn't part of the team anymore as she had some other wrong doings with the shop. Since mid November I started MSD program with them, though with different instructor, who I only have positive feedback for.

Though at the lake we were diving, I don't think you can see any colors once you hit 20m depth, it's literally pitch black. Perhaps that's why the instructor opted for numbers in place of color palette.
That is another standard violated. The instructor does not have that option. The site was not appropriate for the training requirments.

That’s quite a mess of a dive. Glad you made it out unscathed.

I had an adventurous 1st dive for Deep Specialty, yet despite having to assist with a real diver rescue where the diver left by ambulance, I can honestly say that my instructor was far more competent. The diver had to be rescued due to IPE, which really wasn’t anyone’s fault, and the rescue was handled pretty much perfectly.

Sounds like you realized this group is not qualified. Good that you realized before something bad happened.

another option and one that i would not hesitate to do is abort the dive. i have leaned over decades of diving, just because some one is a dive master or instructor, doesnt mean they are competent. making an ascent from deep water in bad visibility is un nerving to say the least. if you have a surface marker buoy and line, shoot that up and make your ascent while reeling the line back in. when in doubt…..bail out.

The AOW instructor slates have colors on them specifically for this exercise so there is no need to look at coral or anything else of color. Look at them, then shine the torch on the them. You can also, depending on the ratios and site, look at the slate as you descend and watch as the colors change with depth, then once at the planned max depth, shine the light on them to watch them "reappear"

But that is just one small problem in a dive that had a TON of problems from the instructor. You should have never been in a position where that ascent happened as the instructor should have been there to assist. This was a giant cluster F*&% from the start.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom