Merry XMAS to ME! New Rig aka "THE DARKSIDE"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, it was bad timing, but I ran into a deal on a new OMS 32lbs wing, and then the rest was just like a rock rolling downhill! I'd like to kick Kevin, Jason, and the rest of the ABQ crowd IN THE TEETH for making this a reality! :mooner:

Actually Kevin has been great helping me, allowing me to dive his gear, and giving me advice, and helping me set this up. Now I know how to thread a BP/W!

BPW_002.jpg

BPW_001.jpg

BPW_004.jpg

BPW_003.jpg

BPW_005.jpg

I have not dove it yet, but I think I will like it very much.

The DiveRite CAM bands are the bomb! They have nice rubber pads to help secure the tank, and the SS buckles are downright pretty.

The DR harness was also a pleasant surprise with a real nice SS buckle, webbing that feels about right, and these webbing covers for the shoulder and waist area's where the webbing goes through the BP. These will protect the webbing, but more importantly they prevent the webbing from slipping, so no keepers are necessary.

The Hammerhead BP/STA is a heck of a deal. It's not pretty like some SS shiny BP's but it's a rock, and the STA is HEAVY. Just what I wanted for Cold water diving.

My only complaint is the inflater hose on the OMS wing! It's like 6 feet long! What was OMS thinking! :11:

Does anyone have a quick or cheap fix to getting a shorter inflater hose? Does anyone know what that bungee loop is for that is attached to the top of the inflater hose keeper?

I still need to get a crotch strap, and a weight belt, and some bungee or tubing for the octo. Anyone think those buckles that adjust for depth are worth the $20?

Boy won't it just break you heart when I show up with this, and my Apollo Bio-Fins! :shakehead

RonFrank:
Does anyone know what that bungee loop is for that is attached to the top of the inflater hose keeper?
Can you describe what you're talking about better? Is it in a pricture?
RonFrank:
...and some bungee or tubing for the octo.
Backup. If you're going dark side it's a backup reg, not an octo. Octos you donate.

You'll like the dark side... :)

Roak

Hi Ron,

Nice rig! I am envious. Also, I read your post about hitting the Blue Hole Dec. 9 & 10th. Ugh! I am off work from the 11th thru the 24th and wish I could join you and anyone else going. Did I hear you all may be going the following weekend? Too bad some of you can't go during the week.

Have fun testing your new kit, it looks awesome!

CON8IV:
Hi Ron,

Nice rig! I am envious. Also, I read your post about hitting the Blue Hole Dec. 9 & 10th. Ugh! I am off work from the 11th thru the 24th and wish I could join you and anyone else going. Did I hear you all may be going the following weekend? Too bad some of you can't go during the week.

Have fun testing your new kit, it looks awesome!

We are in fact planning to be there on Dec 16th~17th if you would like to join us. It should be like Springtime for Hitler, and Germany! :D

Hey Ron,

Brass boldsnaps and zip-ties??? You're giving me an aneurysm :) (just kidding)
So I see you must be getting ready for this:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=168254
:1poke:

But seriously, nice rig. Let us know what you think once you try it in the water.
Don't forget that you'll need a shorter LP hose for your backup reg when you go the bungie.
I have plenty of extra bungie and some stuff to secure your inflator hose, hopefully i'll see you out there soon.
Take care,
Jason

RonFrank:
We are in fact planning to be there on Dec 16th~17th if you would like to join us. It should be like Springtime for Hitler, and Germany! :D

Ron,
Thanks for the invite. I just checked to see if my friends from Kansas are coming that weekend. Indeed they are. So, although I'll be glad to see them, I'll miss the dives with you. That's too bad, because I'd really like to visit with you about your bp/wing. I'm thinking of going that route, and would like to get some feedback/opinions from you on the subject. Maybe we can get together another time and you can advise me? Have a fantastic trip!

Ron,

Nice rig! :) I'm sure you will love it and burn that zeagle bc before long. :wink: Unfortunately I won't be able to make it on the 15 - 17. I'm sure we'll see each other sometime in 2007. Have fun!

Merry Christmas to yourself!:santa3:
I'm psyched to see it in person, but I'm not going to help you get everything hooked, unhooked, wrapped and unwrappred, bungied, etc.:rofl3:
I'll be geared up in my Ranger and waiting at about 60ffw.:coffee:

Divedoggie:
Merry Christmas to yourself!:santa3:
I'm psyched to see it in person, but I'm not going to help you get everything hooked, unhooked, wrapped and unwrappred, bungied, etc.:rofl3:
I'll be geared up in my Ranger and waiting at about 60ffw.:coffee:

The setup is basically done. I may need to adjust it as I did not try it on dry, so it might be a little loose, but it's ready to dive. I'll also have my Stiletto! :D

Getting in the water with a BP/W takes no more time than any other BC.

But hey there DiveMASTER, it's your JOB as a buddy to get me hooked up! I hope you will at LEAST turn on my air!:mooner:

I actually need more help with my Drysuit then any other equipment. It's kinda impossible to get into one of those with a Back Zipper by yourself! :D

Jasonmh:
Hey Ron,

Brass boldsnaps and zip-ties??? You're giving me an aneurysm :) (just kidding)

Don't forget that you'll need a shorter LP hose for your backup reg when you go the bungie.
I have plenty of extra bungie and some stuff to secure your inflator hose, hopefully i'll see you out there soon.
Take care,
Jason

Yeah, that long inflator hose. Any suggestions for how to secure this so it's usable, but not dragging?

I already have a short second, and long primary. I got some surgical tubing from the Hardware store, and made a nice necklace, and pulled the bolt snap from the octo and attached it to the primary so I'm not dragging that across the parking lot!

Brass is cheap! At under $1 each I can go though a LOT of bass before I get to the price of SS. In fresh water, I don't see a problem. They are DAMN proud of those SS boltsnaps! At $6~8 each, VERY proud! Zip-Ties rock! I'm very sure I'd find some on your rig if no where else on the reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom