Merry XMAS to ME! New Rig aka "THE DARKSIDE"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amascuba:
Ron,

Nice rig! :) I'm sure you will love it and burn that zeagle bc before long. :wink: Unfortunately I won't be able to make it on the 15 - 17. I'm sure we'll see each other sometime in 2007. Have fun!

Well, I wish we were down this weekend, but I'll be down in 2007. Dan will get bored, or Kent will want to go, and we will hook up.

I'm going going to burn that Zeagle just yet! I'm hoping my son may want to learn to dive, and it's a LOT lighter, so I may travel with it. It's a great BC, and honestly the main reason I like the BP/W setup is for the added weight and even distribution needed diving Dry. I certainly have no issues diving the Stiletto with 10lbs in the ocean, but with 20lbs+ in the pockets the trim is not as nice as the BP/W.

I would swap the backup reg to the front port on the reg, the hoses flow better....

RonFrank:
Yeah, that long inflator hose. Any suggestions for how to secure this so it's usable, but not dragging?

I already have a short second, and long primary. I got some surgical tubing from the Hardware store, and made a nice necklace, and pulled the bolt snap from the octo and attached it to the primary so I'm not dragging that across the parking lot!

Well, I got some bicycle innertube (used from a bike shop, dirt cheap) for a mountain bike (big tube, like 2-2.5 inch), cut it in strips (so it makes a circle) and use a couple of those to secure the lp hose to the corrigated hose. You can use a loop of bungie through the left chest d-ring to keep it from flying all over the place. Hope that makes sense, if not i'll take a picture of mine and post it.

Jasonmh:
Well, I got some bicycle innertube (used from a bike shop, dirt cheap) for a mountain bike (big tube, like 2-2.5 inch), cut it in strips (so it makes a circle) and use a couple of those to secure the lp hose to the corrigated hose. You can use a loop of bungie through the left chest d-ring to keep it from flying all over the place. Hope that makes sense, if not i'll take a picture of mine and post it.

I think I understand what you are suggesting, but take a photo! A picture is worth a few words! :D

ShakaZulu:
I would swap the backup reg to the front port on the reg, the hoses flow better....

Yea, Shaka is right. Kind of hard to see from the pic but he did see it :)
The backup reg should be in the port closest to your head on the right, so swap the backup and primary, will route much better.

ShakaZulu:

Well with that monster long hose, I think that is a good suggestion. I like having the long hose, but it is a bit more to get in the way. I've never had to share air outside of classes and drills, but it's going to make doing so a LOT easier if I ever run into that situation.

SUCKER!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Ron - way coooooool, but you are goin' to die using that brass bolt snap and yellow ziptie. :D:D:D

Just kidding on all that. I can't wait to hear your report on what it feels like diving with it. I bet you are going to love it.

To answer your question though about the inflator bungie:
You can either use surgical tubing or better yet black:wink: shockcord say about 1/8" - 3/16" diameter. Start with say around a 12" piece. Now thread it between your left shoulder d-ring and the webbing. I like using a water knot to tie the ends together.

The loop should be big enough so that you can thread your inflator mouthpiece through it, but barely. Trim off the ends of your shockcord.

Now there are two schools of thought as to which hose you thread through the bungie. Some will say to thread your inflator and leave your LP hose on the outside. Others will say just the opposite. I prefer to keep my inflator hose on the outside because it is easier for the bungie loop to slide on the LP hose as I raise it to vent...
Some will say that can lead to the bungie disconnecting the LP hose from the inflator. Hasn't happend to me.

Now go and enjoy your cool rig. Merry Christmas. :D

About the monster long hose:
What you need is a can light. It works great to keep that long hose from choking you to death. :D

RonFrank:
Well with that monster long hose, I think that is a good suggestion. I like having the long hose, but it is a bit more to get in the way. I've never had to share air outside of classes and drills, but it's going to make doing so a LOT easier if I ever run into that situation.

You speak the truth Ron. I had my first real OOA experience in BVI 2 weeks ago, and I was very glad to have the long hose.

Pitures are on the way...

Here you go:

Bungie thru left chest d-ring to hold inflator hose:
bungieloop.gif

The 2 hoses with the innnertube around them:
lphose.gif

Extra innertube on the harness, usefull for holding things and some extra on the waistband can be used to tuck in the excess waist strap:
innertube.gif

The lp and corrigated hose held together with the innertube and both thru the bungie:
together.gif

Hope that helps. Next time we are out there we can pratice some OOA...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom