Mask still fogging up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey everyone, thank you for the responses.

What my op was saying but didn't explain well was that when I got the mask I swam in the pool with it and experienced almost no fog. Then I know I was supposed to clean it with toothpaste to remove the seal and I wanted to do this before going to Belize. I have not used the cleaned mask in the water yet but just wearing it in the air for a minute it was completely fogged. Will this be different in water? I will try burning or a different solution for scrubbing

So I should spit or use defog a few minutes before my dive and let it dry? And then put it on and try to keep it from getting wet? Is that what I'm supposed to do or did I not understand all of your explanations?

This isn't as important but I tried scrubbing just normal swimming goggles with toothpaste too and now they are really messed up. I have rinsed them tons of times and scrubbed them with my finger and qtips but I the goggles are still really covered with something, maybe some toothpaste residue? It makes the goggles very blurry and hard to see out of. Does anyone know why this would happen or more importantly how to get it off?

This isn't as important but I tried scrubbing just normal swimming goggles with toothpaste too and now they are really messed up. I have rinsed them tons of times and scrubbed them with my finger and qtips but I the goggles are still really covered with something, maybe some toothpaste residue? It makes the goggles very blurry and hard to see out of. Does anyone know why this would happen or more importantly how to get it off?

I imagine your swim goggles are plastic - they are not glass. All you have done is scratched the heck out of them with the abrasive toothpaste.

i imagine your swim goggles are plastic - they are not glass. All you have done is scratched the heck out of them with the abrasive toothpaste.

haha i am so dumb.

Last edited:
I'm a spitter and keep my mask to myself. I also breathe into my mask from time to time with no problems. The very occasional fogging problems arise when I've let my mask rest on my forehead or around my neck before setting it on my face and rolling into the water. So, I endeavor not to for that. Have even taken to not rinsing the spit out until I'm down. That works very very well.

Apply a few drops of Baby Shampoo to the mask before every dive, never have problems of fogging.
That's what I do. Undiluted. Add some water, rub and wash, rinse. I've also seen quite a lot of people use dish soap, but I can imagine that it would burn in your eyes if you got any in them.

Hey everyone, thank you for the responses.

What my op was saying but didn't explain well was that when I got the mask I swam in the pool with it and experienced almost no fog. Then I know I was supposed to clean it with toothpaste to remove the seal and I wanted to do this before going to Belize. I have not used the cleaned mask in the water yet but just wearing it in the air for a minute it was completely fogged. Will this be different in water? I will try burning or a different solution for scrubbing

So I should spit or use defog a few minutes before my dive and let it dry? And then put it on and try to keep it from getting wet? Is that what I'm supposed to do or did I not understand all of your explanations?

Spit in the mask, rub and rinse, then dunk your head into a filled sink. It should not fog.
Even on dry land it shouldn't fog for a bit, as long as you don't breath out your nose. If you don't spit and prime though, it will fog. The toothpaste rub gets ride of the silicone coating which exacerbates fog, even in water; but it alone does not prevent fog 100%, it just helps to prevent it.

If you're lens is not tempered glass, anything abrasive will scratch it. This is probably what happened to your goggles.

adimi24

Return to post 7.

It will be worse in water, did you do the test I prescribed?

I prefer to apply by defog (babu shampoo) while setting up and let it set up if it has time. It may be a little hazy when you hit the water but condensation will soon start to sheet and the fog will be gone. IMO it makes no sense to swish a mask after applying defog. If your stuff is goopy you can wet the mask before applying the defog so it will better disperse.

You probably scuffed the plastic goggles.

Pete

It took me about 7 rinse cycles to finally get my mask to stop fogging...or at least fog less. You should be rubbing the toothpaste in with your fingers, hard enough to where you can hear it "squeak." On my last trip, I combined spit, anti fog solution, and baby shampoo. We went on 3 dives, my mask did not fog until the last dive.
Be sure to let your spit sit in the mask for awhile before rinsing.

The best mask cleaner I have found is Glass Stovetop Cleaner. This product is designed for cleaning stuck on food and other stuff, and will not harm the glass. This was recommended by a high end mask maker to resolve fogging issues in their $$$ masks. I have found that a good defog makes a big difference too. In my opinion the best commericial product is 500PSI, but we use a mixture of baby shampoo and water in a spray bottle aboard our boat and this works very very well.
I don't think it is a very good idea to spit in ones mask. Saliva contains a lot of bacteria and a "pink eye" infection is a possible outcome of this. I'm as "old school" as they come (diving for more than 50 years), but I won't spit in my mask.
dans right I clean with softscrub a non scratching clenser cean selveral times spit dont rince mine does not fog

Back
Top Bottom