Mask still fogging up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adimi24

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just bought my first mask, an aqua lung, for an upcoming trip in Belize. I just tried to remove the manufacturer's seal on the inside, applying toothpaste (white, not gel), scrubbing with a toothbrush and getting in the edges with a q-tip and rinsing thoroughly. I did this 3 times and after it dried I put it on. After about a minute ( not in the water, just wearing the mask in my house ) it completely fogged up.

I wore the mask for some laps in the pool a few days ago with basically no fog, why would the mask start fogging I went through the process which is supposed to make the mask not fog? Did I do something wrong? How can I fix this?

I'm leaving in 2 days and need to figure this out! Thanks in advance

---------- Post added March 30th, 2013 at 12:37 PM ----------

Can a mod delete this please? I just saw a thread below asking the same question..

Are you perhaps exhaling a bit into the mask through your nose when you notice it fogging up? That will keep putting warm, moist air into the mask.

The toothpaste abrasive will remove any residual cutting fluid from the glass, but it will not prevent the mask from fogging, although it will HELP prevent fogging.

To totally prevent fogging, you must still apply an anti-fog solution.

The free way:
Spit on each lense (no phlegm please)
Rub it around with your finger for a few seconds
Dunk twice to rinse some of it off, then immediately don.

The "proper" way:
Purchase a bottle of McNett's Sea Drops
Apply one drop to each lense
Rub around with your finger
Dunk twice and immediately don

I have some advice and it works. There have been several threads regarding this and I have posted before. Take a match, light it and hold it where the flame touches the inside of either lens. If you see black soot starting to form that is your problem. I use a long lighter, instead of a match, on all of my masks from time to time, but always when new. I burn the soot and then clean the lens as normal, toothpaste, soft scrub, etc. A mask with tempered glass and not plastic, will be fine under a flame. My advice is free and you can take it or choose not to. But, it does work and it works well without harming the mask or the rubber / silicone portion. Mark

Mask fogging is a problem that we all face and that is why there are so many defog products on the market: Scuba diving gear Masks Mask Accessories at Scuba.com

I've personally tried toothpaste, soft scrub (w/out bleach) and the burn method. All do a decent job at removing the residue left behind from manufacturing, however it will not permanently fix the fogging issue. You will still need some kind of defog applied before you dive. You can use spit, baby shampoo or something made specifically for preventing mask fog. If I am doing multiple dives, I like to reapply the defog before each dive.

Hawkwood brings up a good point. Try to pay attention to how you are breathing. If you are breathing out your nose with you mask on, it is probably going to fog up a little.

Note: If you try the burn method, it's at your own risk. Be careful not to damage the skirt or frame.

Have a wonderful trip to Belize.

Cheers,

After you've tried whatever measures you are willing to take of those offered above, and checked to see if you are exhaling through your nose or not, then there's one more thing that can be done. While horizontal in the water and face down, let a bit of water into your mask, slosh it about by gently moving your head from side to side, then purge your mask of water the usual way. Voila! Clear mask at least until you fog it up again.

Adimi24

Clean, Test and Defog. Details Here

While swimming laps the faceplate was probably in ~80F water and somewhat resistant to condensation. Around the house was probably cooler.

Pete

The scientific answer is that it is impossible to prevent all fogging without any preventative maintenance each time you put your mask on.

To explain the process:
Fogging lenses are prevented by double panes predominantly in most products. Two lenses with a vacuum or inert nobel gas sealed in between. This helps compensate for temperature differences on either side of the glass that contribute to fogging.
Scuba masks do not come in double pane, simply because the pressure changes at depth would not allow for this method to work.
Things like ski goggles however, can and often do, especially in high end goggles.
Modern house windows are always double pane

Particulate matter also contribute to fogging. Masks come with a silicone coating to prevent scratching on shipping from the warehouse. Abrassive toothpaste and the likes get rid of this which makes fogging less of an issue.

But your face is hot, and the air temp is not, so on dry land this will always make your mask fog. To prevent this, apply a defog (spit or commercial in-a-bottle). Rub it around and lightly rinse it out. Put it immediately on your face and your mask should not fog.

Toothpaste works but it takes time. Apply liberally and leave it overnight- rinse in the morning.

Spit works as defog- No More Tears shampoo if you don't like spitting. Commercial Anti-fog is a rip off IMO.

I had a lot of problem with fogging, I too was exhaling into the mask causeing fog. I used the anti fog stuff and it did not work. So i stopped read the instructions and then followed them. no more fog. I needed to let the anti fog dry on the lens before wiping it off. Think of it like car wax.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom