Mask still fogging up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best mask cleaner I have found is Glass Stovetop Cleaner. This product is designed for cleaning stuck on food and other stuff, and will not harm the glass. This was recommended by a high end mask maker to resolve fogging issues in their $$$ masks. I have found that a good defog makes a big difference too. In my opinion the best commericial product is 500PSI, but we use a mixture of baby shampoo and water in a spray bottle aboard our boat and this works very very well.
I don't think it is a very good idea to spit in ones mask. Saliva contains a lot of bacteria and a "pink eye" infection is a possible outcome of this. I'm as "old school" as they come (diving for more than 50 years), but I won't spit in my mask.

Toothpaste works but it takes time. Apply liberally and leave it overnight- rinse in the morning.

Spit works as defog- No More Tears shampoo if you don't like spitting. Commercial Anti-fog is a rip off IMO.

I don't think that normally works. There's no chemical reaction between toothpaste and the protective coating on a mask. It's the mechanical act of the abrassive bits in the toothpaste being rubbed and washed around that get rid of the silicone coating. So no waiting is necessary.

Apply a few drops of Baby Shampoo to the mask before every dive, never have problems of fogging.

Use a spray bottle with a little baby shampoo mixed with water. Don't rinse the mask too well. And use the mixture to spray in your wetsuit or wet gloves. Makes them slide right on.

What ever is done to inhibit fogginh it has to leave a coating on the glass to act as an insulatoin barier. now the cold water temp is not exposed to the high humidity air in hte mask. For those that live in hte colder areas try smearing your bathroom mirror with a bar of soap. Not girly stuff but soap. then polish it up so it is clear. the mirror no longer fogs. Most antifogs are just rinced out leaving nothing if not allowed to dry or hase up.

Something that seems to work for me. I use sea drops and smear them around prior to boarding the boat. I rinse it out and lightly swish the water around for a few seconds prior to splash. I have had better luck letting the stuff dry on there for a few minutes before rinsing. I discovered a long time ago my spit doesn't work. I appreciate it when those who use spit don't rinse their mask in the rinse bucket. YUCK. I will use bottled water to rinse my mask out the first time I see someone rinse their spit off in the rinse bucket.

There are so many viruses and bacteria in the human body that some have said they play a role in evolution. We are surrounded by bacteria and viruses and then there are pryons. Who knows what else, and yet, people worry about spit. If spit could hurt us we would be dead eons ago.

Burn the mask, with a lighter, to remove the oils and films and then scrub with Dawn soap. Then use a commercial defog. Occasionally the mask will need burning again.

If there are oils on your hands as you rub the defog in, things like sun lotion etc., guess what.

N

Don't care, keep your spit on your mask and out of the bucket. I don't wish to share spit with you or anyone but my wife, thanks.
There are so many viruses and bacteria in the human body that some have said they play a role in evolution. We are surrounded by bacteria and viruses and then there are pryons. Who knows what else, and yet, people worry about spit. If spit could hurt us we would be dead eons ago.

Don't care, keep your spit on your mask and out of the bucket. I don't wish to share spit with you or anyone but my wife, thanks.

Forget the spit just think of the snot err...I mean mucus. I avoid the rinse bucket altogether. Same reason I don't soak my reg in the common bucket, on board or at the dock/resort.

---------- Post added March 31st, 2013 at 08:57 PM ----------

N

I agree we are too germ phobic and that causes its own set of problems but I see no reason to invite them in...especially if I am on a dive vacation!

The best mask cleaner I have found is Glass Stovetop Cleaner. This product is designed for cleaning stuck on food and other stuff, and will not harm the glass. This was recommended by a high end mask maker to resolve fogging issues in their $$$ masks. I have found that a good defog makes a big difference too. In my opinion the best commericial product is 500PSI, but we use a mixture of baby shampoo and water in a spray bottle aboard our boat and this works very very well.
I don't think it is a very good idea to spit in ones mask. Saliva contains a lot of bacteria and a "pink eye" infection is a possible outcome of this. I'm as "old school" as they come (diving for more than 50 years), but I won't spit in my mask.
Dan is right tooth stuff doesn't work you need a polish witch is no longer in most toothpaste any more use a nonscoring sink cleaner like bonine or soft scrub to ruboff the little participials from the outgassing of the silicone and dont wash out your spit after spiting in your mask

Back
Top Bottom