Mares Quattro buckle FAILURE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
I was swimming laps in the pool yesterday and brought along my recently retired Mares Quattros to get some finning laps in at the end of my workout.

As I reached the end of my third lap with the fins on, I felt my right fin slipping off. I paused to reach down and rebuckle the fin (I have the older style buckles bought back in 2000 WITHOUT the little red locking mechanism on them) -- I noticed that the buckle had come off the fin. Thinking that it had simply come detached (and was still attached to the end of the dangling strap), I swam to the end of the lane and brought the fin out of the water.

Bad news -- the buckle was nowhere to be found. I found it at the bottom of the deep end of the pool (of course), and brought the fin and buckle back to the shallow end to re-attach. While doing this, I noticed that the small plastic pin in the buckle that you loop the strap around was also missing (also found at the bottom of the deep end).

This further confirms my decision to stop using these fins due to the following that I have experienced multiple times (except for the buckle failure) first hand:

(1) Buckles popping open while diving (likely solved with new locking system)
(2) Buckles are easily entangled in any type of line
(3) Buckles are not very durable, and given how easy it was to pop the pin back in that I lost, I expect that this pin is a frequent failure point.

The fins themselves are fine...I would just recommend replacing the buckle/strap system with spring straps.

I have a pair of those gathering dust in my garage. I got sick of replacing the buckle. When a strap broke I was never able to to find the correct size to replace it. So I would always have to replace the entire buckle. And it was expensive.

Jet fins and springs, end of story.

We have been using the Mares hinged fin buckles since they came out in the mid 90s.

Total number of fins with this type of release to date: 6.

Total number of failures to date: 1. This was after a "washing machine" exit involving waves, and being smashed up against some rocks.

Conditions: pools, cold freshwater, warm saltwater, cold saltwater. Currents, non-currents, you name it.

Types of fins: Plana Avanti Quattros, Plana Avantis, and Dacor Tigers. We have also retro fitted them to at least one pair of USD Blades.

Neither of us has ever had the buckles pop open, even prior to the design change with the locking mechanism. In fact, both of us hate the locks so much we never engage them.

Just to let you know that there's always another side to the story. :wink:

~SubMariner~

Have over 400 dives on Mares Plana Quattros fins without any failure or problems. Replaced fin straps, 2X. Tape the loose end of strap- no entanglement. Great fin for all types of kicks.:eek:ut:

There's two pairs in the family, and we haven't had any problem with the buckles at all other than forgetting to release the lock occasionally. Great fins that have given yoeman service.

We have broken one strap, and have had a heck of time replacing it though. While there are plenty of replacement straps available, I wanted the straps on both fins to look the same and be the same size. (OK, so I'm anal :wink:) The original straps are bigger than any replacement straps I've seen, and say Mares on them.

All we could find anywhere was the full strap and buckle assemblies for replacement. At $12.95 it didn't break the bank though.

Marc :jester:

I always found the buckle system to be awkward and fiddly,but it kind of worked. Broke a few fin straps though..............

Got some spring straps. HUGE improvement. Much easier to don/doff, less entanglement risk and look like they will last forever. The ONLY way to go IMHO

More proof that spring straps are the way to go!

I had a problem with mine until I used a zip tie to permanently close the buckle! I swore that would never happen to me again.

Now it's not a problem, because I own a pair of Jet Fins w/ spring straps!:D

Back
Top Bottom