Deep Six Eddy - love 'em execpt...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea_ledford

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I recently got a pair of Deep Six Eddy fins. I love them! Switched from Mares Avanti Quattros and the neutral buoyancy is perfect for everything I've tried so far (Single tank , no suit, 3mm wetsuit and drysuit). Haven't used them with my CCR yet, we'll see how that goes in a week.

I have found them to be excellent in every regard until this week. I'm teaching an SDI Divemaster class this semester and I have a couple students that can't pass the swimt test yet, so I've been swimming with them to work on their strokes and just get some swimming fitness. I swam competitively in high school and have never had any problem passing any sort of dive swim test. The DM swim test is pretty easy except for two components: a 400M swim in under 10 minutes (still no problem for me even though I'm an old fart now, non swimmer students have some struggles with it though), and an 800M snorkel in under 17 minutes, which pretty much kicks everyone's butt the first time they try. That works out to a 50m kick every minute, 16 times in a row with a bonus minute of flub time. Last time I swam it, I did it back to back in two different fins (quattros then my freediving fins just to compare) in something like 13 minutes each time. This was a couple years ago and I did have knee surgery a year and a half ago, but...

With my Eddies, I can't even make one 50M lap in under a minute! It's like having 2x4's duck taped to my feet. I just can't make them go fast. Dolphin kick is moderately better. With a surface flutter, I think I can go faster with no fins on. It is mind bogglingly slow. And frogkick isn't a fast enough stroke to make the time either, or at least my frogkick isn't.

So two things:
1) Do they get better as they break in? I realize they are not optimized for flutter kicking or sprinting, but I think it's the lack of flex that is killing me.
2) I have a completely new respect for the students struggling with the swim, especially if they are in stiff fins!

It is very humbling... going to try again with my quattors to make sure it isn't just me!

Frog kick only. Don't try to go fast.
I did my 800m and 400m divimaster swim the same say and was the only one not worn out.
I am lazy and out of shape. The person that did better than me swam regularly.

Eddy's are flippers, not fins. @cerich

and for the record, doing surface kicks in any kind of scuba fin sucks. that's why its a good idea to lean into your snorkel and kind of swim on your side a wee bit on the surface. keeps the fins in the water and prevents you from looking like a spazz kicking up spray.

It is not (just) you. They are a stiff power fin. They were simply too stiff for me on a long dive, and I would get (or near) cramping. It is a shame because I really liked them otherwise.

Sometimes an all-rounder doesn't do a particular job well and you you need to match the tool to the task.

I used to do lots of pool laps with mask, snorkel, fins, and a kick board. The Eddy fins are stiff for that. They’re really more made for frog kicks.
And IIRC you had the smalls which have a softer compound.

I recently got a pair of Deep Six Eddy fins. I love them! Switched from Mares Avanti Quattros and the neutral buoyancy is perfect for everything I've tried so far (Single tank , no suit, 3mm wetsuit and drysuit). Haven't used them with my CCR yet, we'll see how that goes in a week.

I have found them to be excellent in every regard until this week. I'm teaching an SDI Divemaster class this semester and I have a couple students that can't pass the swimt test yet, so I've been swimming with them to work on their strokes and just get some swimming fitness. I swam competitively in high school and have never had any problem passing any sort of dive swim test. The DM swim test is pretty easy except for two components: a 400M swim in under 10 minutes (still no problem for me even though I'm an old fart now, non swimmer students have some struggles with it though), and an 800M snorkel in under 17 minutes, which pretty much kicks everyone's butt the first time they try. That works out to a 50m kick every minute, 16 times in a row with a bonus minute of flub time. Last time I swam it, I did it back to back in two different fins (quattros then my freediving fins just to compare) in something like 13 minutes each time. This was a couple years ago and I did have knee surgery a year and a half ago, but...

With my Eddies, I can't even make one 50M lap in under a minute! It's like having 2x4's duck taped to my feet. I just can't make them go fast. Dolphin kick is moderately better. With a surface flutter, I think I can go faster with no fins on. It is mind bogglingly slow. And frogkick isn't a fast enough stroke to make the time either, or at least my frogkick isn't.

So two things:
1) Do they get better as they break in? I realize they are not optimized for flutter kicking or sprinting, but I think it's the lack of flex that is killing me.
2) I have a completely new respect for the students struggling with the swim, especially if they are in stiff fins!

It is very humbling... going to try again with my quattors to make sure it isn't just me!
Eddy's are for frog kick, back kicks and tech style.. they are not the flippers you want for flutter as you have discovered..

By the way, for some reason everyone goes to flutter for those swims thinking is better, try them with a good frog kick and be amazed that it is fast and doesn't kick your butt

Frog kick only. Don't try to go fast.
I did my 800m and 400m divimaster swim the same say and was the only one not worn out.
I am lazy and out of shape. The person that did better than me swam regularly.
you can go fast with a good frog kick using your legs correctly and the blade, the reason people think is slow is not the speed you get moving forward, it's that your legs aren't moving as furiously as a flutter.

Eddy's are for frog kick, back kicks and tech style.. they are not the flippers you want for flutter as you have discovered..
Wow, I did not know that scuba fins were being made that are not for flutter kick. That is pretty much all I do.

you can go fast with a good frog kick using your legs correctly and the blade, the reason people think is slow is not the speed you get moving forward, it's that your legs aren't moving as furiously as a flutter.
I'm taking that as a challenge! I'll report back next week.

And I am aware that I am using them for something outside of their design parameters. I still love them for everything else!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom