Mares Quattro buckle FAILURE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well I have to admit I broke one strap and that was a fluke a new diver about fell over board while I was putting on my fins and I had grabbed her some how I broke my strap well being the smart person I am , I had a back up you can buy the strap and buckle assembly at leasure pro for like 14 dollars
cant complain about mine they work good for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a strap and a pin on my first time putting on the Volos - almost 200 dives later no other problems. I have never had a problem with them popping open - quite the opposite, so difficlult to open...

Jonathan

I have used Mares Plana Avanti Quattro fins for about 3 years. I like the fins, but the buckles and straps are terrible. On my first dive (beach dive), one of the buckles unclipped near shore. Due to the current and visibility, it was quickly lost. Luckily, the dive shop that I bought them from helped me get a replacement from Mares. After this very long process, I decided to purchase the locking clips from the dive shop at a cost of almost $30.00! On my next dive (boat dive), I broke a strap while using NO force whatsoever. Luckily I had a replacement with me. When I returned home, I noticed that the strap was obviously defective on BOTH of my fins. The small ridges that the clips use to grip on to were slit down to almost nothing along the edges of the ridges. Definitely a defect in manufacturing. I have been trying to get reimbursed for over a year now, but all correspondence to Mares has been ignored. I can't wait to see them at the local dive show next year!!! P.S. I have close-up pictures (and the actual straps). If anyone is interested in seeing them, email me. I'd LOVE to hear from someone else with this problem.

P.S. Sorry for the 2nd post, but I forgot to mention that the clips and straps from both BIO and TUSA fins will also fit the Mares quarter-size mounting posts. I am considering buying these, since, for me, any quick-release is worthless. The fin straps seem to stretch easily enough to slide down off my boots. My theory is that too many bells-and-whistles create higher costs and excess problems.

Tony, stop wasting your money on straps. Make or buy some spring straps for your Quatros and you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

DSCN5001a.jpg

DSCN5002a.jpg

They're awesome. I used to like the Quattro straps, until I tried on my very first set of spring straps. There isn't a little bit of difference - it's a lot of difference.

No entanglement hazard, no breaking buckles, dirt easy to take on and off, and when they're on, they STAY on.

I'll tell you what - anyone who's curious should look up spring straps on this board, or PM me and for the right price, I'll MAKE you a pair. No one should be without spring straps.

Incidentally, anyone who's put their Quattro's into storage because they don't like the straps - I'll be happy to take them off your hands.

Boogie711
I'll tell you what - anyone who's curious should look up spring straps on this board, or PM me and for the right price, I'll MAKE you a pair. No one should be without spring straps.
Incidentally, anyone who's put their Quattro's into storage because they don't like the straps
how you make them spring straps and how do you measure ect thanks also what would you charge for them or anyone else !!!

Want to try again?

If you're asking about Spring Straps... for a pair of Quattro's, I do them different than the example above.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/chatterton/Spring.JPG

To put a set of these together would cost about $30 in parts or so. The expensive part isn't the spring - it's the stainless steel anchor shackle, because they're about $3.50 or $4 apiece, and you need 4.

That's a really neat way to put on the spring straps! It gets rid of the floating plastic buckle that is a failure point (and annoying!).

Nice work!

Boogie711 once bubbled...
Want to try again?

If you're asking about Spring Straps... for a pair of Quattro's, I do them different than the example above.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/chatterton/Spring.JPG

To put a set of these together would cost about $30 in parts or so. The expensive part isn't the spring - it's the stainless steel anchor shackle, because they're about $3.50 or $4 apiece, and you need 4.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom