Mares Quattro buckle FAILURE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I owe that particular brainwave to our very own Wetman and mddolson. I believe they figured it out after browsing the "Cave Diving" section of Canadian Tire or Home Depot.

They work great, but like I say - stainless ones are about $4 apiece.

That's cheap insurance to make sure that your fins don't fall off.

Boogie711 once bubbled...
I owe that particular brainwave to our very own Wetman and mddolson. I believe they figured it out after browsing the "Cave Diving" section of Canadian Tire or Home Depot.

They work great, but like I say - stainless ones are about $4 apiece.

What size is the bow shakle, please. Very sharp set up and application. Also where did you find the springs?

Make sure you get it in Stainless Steel. You can get them in Galvanized for a lot cheaper, but you don't want it rusting on you.

The straps are the standard ones from McMaster Carr... the product number USED to be 3932K24, but they don't sell that one anymore. They do suggest an alternate, which is the spring pictured there. I just don't remember what the product number is. The alternate suggested spring is just fine.

The length is 11" which works just fine for me - although it would be nice, for me if it was 12. And the tubing is just regular PVC tubing you can buy in a hardware store. I used an extra piece as a sheath for my Shears in my thigh pocket.

I have quattros and love them, had no probs until recently when one strap broke along the very last ridge.
I simply replaced both straps with Beaver straps which are much more hard wearing and they seem fine but the true test will be when I dive them in Ireland next week.

If they break again though it will be spring straps all the way, I am not paying £5 to replace the straps every 20 or so dives.

Buckles have never had a problem with popping open in fact mine are so hard to open that I've taken a nail off my finger trying to open them :wink:

Anyone? To all those who have experienced Mares fin strap failure... which part fails?

The buckle?
The strap itself?
The point of connection between the buckle and the fin?

Thanks!

I don't have access to parts to make my own spring heel straps.

jplacson once bubbled...
Anyone? To all those who have experienced Mares fin strap failure... which part fails?

The buckle?
The strap itself?
The point of connection between the buckle and the fin?

Thanks!

I don't have access to parts to make my own spring heel straps.

For me it was the buckle. Until I got spring straps (and Jets), I used some cable ties to permanently close the buckle. It worked very well.

jplacson,

I had serious strap issues. Please read my earlier post.

For me it was the buckle -- theree is a pin that holds the 2 pieces of the buckle together. THe pin popped out and the buckle came apart.....allowing the strap to slip out as well. Luckily I was just in a pool swimming laps -- I was able to find the pin on the bottom and replace it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom