Mares Quattro buckle FAILURE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Volo which comes with the lock feature.

I dont use it coz the buckle is so tight that opening the "quick release" gets me breathing fast..

Otherwise, it is a great fin.

Last Friday, after 17 years of regular diving, I lost my first fin---a Mares Quattro purchased about three years ago. The fin came off while I was descending. I was puzzled because I know that I checked the buckles before jumping in and they were closed. Now I may have an answer.

Incidentally, the fin is black and was lost off of Palm Beach. If anyone finds it let me know.

FLL Diver don't know if this will be of any help but mares straps tend be a fairly standard size and other brands will fit the quattros and be of better quality. I have beaver straps on mine and my buddy has typhoon straps on his. Both of which were bought for about £5 without the whole buckle system and both seem to be lasting much better than any of the mares straps.

I got a pair of Quattros because they were a top rated fin in Rodale's Scuba magazine. I tried them twice and both times a buckle came undone. Plus, they were too long to fit in my dive bag. I sold them and went back to using my black rubber Rocket fins.

I love my fins and the way they do up etc but I broke two straps within a month or two. They looked like they had been cut in two with an exacto knife. There must be a sharp edge in there somewhere. Anyway, I lost a fin (not the Mares) doing an ascent one time and it's no fun. I don't want to risk any more fin problems so I've gone to coil straps and I like them a lot.

Phish-phood once bubbled...
FLL Diver don't know if this will be of any help but mares straps tend be a fairly standard size and other brands will fit the quattros and be of better quality. I have beaver straps on mine and my buddy has typhoon straps on his. Both of which were bought for about £5 without the whole buckle system and both seem to be lasting much better than any of the mares straps.

Thanks for the info. I did use generic straps for a bit, but I guess I'm a touch obessive/compulsive as I like both straps to be the same and I wanted the OEM Mares ones.

Anyway I have made the changeover to spring straps and like them, and my daughter now has a whole bunch of spare straps and buckles. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom