Mares Quattro buckle FAILURE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and my new Manta spring straps arrived today.

We've been through three our out four straps the past few months, and instead of buying full assemblies I thought I'd try spring straps. I guess th eplastic just gets into failure mode after a year and half or so.

I'll let everyone know how they work out this weekend.

Marc

FLL Diver once bubbled...
and my new Manta spring straps arrived today.

You will love them. Careful installing them, they will dig right in if you get it right.

For people interested in DIY spring straps look at this thread. Several different configurations discussed and some howtos are presented. You can make your own springs in a couple of hours and it will cost around 10 bucks for a set.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29296

Here is a picture of spring straps for quatros I made for myself.

attachment.php

Hope this helps,
Eugene

on my Quattros, never broke a strap, never lost a buckle, never had a problem. Great fin, strap and buckle.

Hmmm... I had an idea (dunno if it's new or anything) I was thinking of just replacing the strap itself.

Since the buckle doesn't seem to fail or break as often as the strap does... I was gonna use plain 1" or 3/4" nylon webbing. Measure it to my foot... then tighten. Since the buckles are quick release anyway, the fin strap will be snug for my foot...no loose ends dangling.

I'll see what I can do... :)

The quick release is where the point of failure is on many of the quattros.

jplacson once bubbled...
... I was gonna use plain 1" or 3/4" nylon webbing. Measure it to my foot... then tighten.

Interesting idea. But the molded straps have ridges on them that catch on a small bar in the buckle to keep them tight.

For us it's always been the straps that fail. I wonder if it's a combination and of the salt water and ultraviolet rays that breakdown the plastic straps after a year's use? Maybe both of us tend to make them too tight?

I've never had a problem with the buckles. In fact I have three extra sets of buckles, soon to be five. :)

Marc

Can't you buy the straps w/o the buckles?

thinking of just replacing the strap itself...

Why? If you're going to go to all that trouble, it's a kluge. You're not fixing the problem. You still have a crappy buckle.

If you're going to make your own straps, make spring straps. Fixes all your problems.

detroit diver once bubbled...
Can't you buy the straps w/o the buckles?

You used to be able to, but for some reason everyone is "out" of the Mares straps. All they seem to have is teh full strap/buckle assebly. Even the online stores.

There's plenty of generic straps available, but the Mares ones are wider, seem more substantial, and say Mares across the back. Personally, I like the OEM if only they didn't keep breaking.

As an aside, I used my new spring straps today. I think I'll reserve judgement one more dive before I make a final decision. Today highlighted both pros and cons for me personally.

Marc

Back
Top Bottom