Mares new limited edition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquaoren summarized quite nicely the way I feel about LE and Mares. Sorry, English is my 3rd language, not good at expressing things clearly in a concise matter:
I liked Mares before LE, and I still do. Got disappointed by LE overall due to very high expectations, but the products are probably very good, if not revolutionary.

It is nice to be able to interact with Stephano, even if he got frustrated and felt attacked. He overhyped the LE, but that's his job. Ours in this context is to make educated decisions about purchasing gear which main purpose is life-support. Cosmetic is not bad in itself if the primary functionality is fulfilled. I really hope to see some good reviews, lab and field tests on the LE, so that companies keep on putting effort on R&D (although, why would you limit production to 2,000 if lots of R&D was spent?).

All in all, I think I'm gonna move on to a different subject. Love that board, hope to see y'all in a different thread.

aquaoren:
The problem is that we were promised revolutionary products. The LE is maybe unique, possibly innovative, but there is nothing revolutionary in them as far as I can see.
Boogie is right here. When someone promises something and does not live up to the promises, he shouldn't be surprised that people are not happy and lose trust in the promises of the company. I'm saying that as someone who loves Mares products and owns a whole bunch.
While I applaude Mares attempts to be innovative, as a Mares customer, I am somewhat disappointed of the end result compared to the promises forehand.
Mr. di Martino, I think that was missed in your company is the fact that some scuba diver are maybe a little more informed about their gear than participants of other sports like Jogging or Tennis. It may have something to do with the fact that this is life support equipment and some of us tend to be more critical and demanding of such equipment.

boxcar:
Amen aquaoren...that is just what I was going to say...the standards for 'revolution' seem a bit low at Mares...I own some Mares gear and love it, but 'revolution', come on...

I found this thread quite interesting reading - and I don't even give a fig about Mares.

The first question that occurs to me is this: how do you 'revolutionize' scuba gear, anyway? It pretty much already works the way we want it to as it is, AFAIC.

I believe that the sport has reached a point where we understand how to do it. What we now need are more companies who manufacture stuff to the standards we require. For my own part, when I have a choice between the plastic one and the stainless steel one, I'm getting the stainless steel one, all else being equal. As a rule, it will last for decades longer.

THAT'S what I consider revolutionary - built to last. Of course, that's been pretty slow to come simply because 'built to last' isn't economical for many of the financial models out there - you need to sell new ones every so often in order to stay viable.

And that's precisely how we came to the invention of the commercial BC. <GDR>

longimanus:
Aquaoren summarized quite nicely the way I feel about LE and Mares. Sorry, English is my 3rd language, not good at expressing things clearly in a concise matter:
I liked Mares before LE, and I still do. Got disappointed by LE overall due to very high expectations, but the products are probably very good, if not revolutionary.

It is nice to be able to interact with Stephano, even if he got frustrated and felt attacked. He overhyped the LE, but that's his job. Ours in this context is to make educated decisions about purchasing gear which main purpose is life-support. Cosmetic is not bad in itself if the primary functionality is fulfilled. I really hope to see some good reviews, lab and field tests on the LE, so that companies keep on putting effort on R&D (although, why would you limit production to 2,000 if lots of R&D was spent?).

All in all, I think I'm gonna move on to a different subject. Love that board, hope to see y'all in a different thread.

It is the job of a representative of any company NOT to over hype new products unless it is justified. Anyone who does that is just asking for negative comments. What else should he expect when the product does not live up to the hype? As I said in an earlier post, without the word "revolutionary" in the advertising this thread would certainly not have lasted this long....

Diver Dennis:
It is the job of a representative of any company NOT to over hype new products unless it is justified.

Kind of interesting - when exactly is 'over hyping' justified?

When is 'hyping' even justified?

steve2281:
There are several posts in this thread that the text/message has been edited/deleated. Maybe those are the ones you are thinking of. I can remember a few specific comments for sure; that poster has not reappeared. cheers

That was me that deleted my comments. I still think the product is wonderful, however, since I have a personal issue that I will not discuss in an open forum I have chosen to delete my comments. With that said I will comment brifely on the product.
It is the lightest regulator I have ever seen or held. The all metal regulator is very functional with 4 DFC ports and the ability to place your hoses in any configuration you want, with breathing capabilites even at the deepest depths, coldest waters or warmest waters. The Morphos BCD has a metal thread throughout the BCD called 3D alutex, that makes it pliable, packable, lightweight and very durable. This is revolutionary. No one else does it. The new Quattro is very flexible with a metal strand running right through the center of the fin for even more water displacement and channeling than before. The buckle has even been improved for easier use. If it gear that will last through the years then yes this will serve the purpose. If you are looking for style then yes, this is it. It will all be out in a year except for the metal strip in the Quattro fin. Oh, but see, I am only talking to a majority of people who haven't even been to the local Mares dealer to look at it, touch it or dive with it.

But you see the comments I made above are not really what you all are looking for. You just want to trash and bash the new and innovative. I pulled my comments ( among other reasons) because I just didn't want to be apart of your little flame war. You can't really convince people who have already made up their minds.

As for the comparison to the DVD/VHS section of this thread I was one of those people who bought a $1000 Satellite Dish when Direct TV first hit the market. I appreciate new technology and get excited about things. I get the point he was trying to make, some of you didn't. Keep an open mind, it is freeing.

In all fairness to Mares... I don't believe they overhyped the situation. Just because it doesn't meet the standards of some, does not make the accomplishment of the smallest reg available ill conceived. Perhaps the detractors can show us the gear they introduced this year so we can compare it with Mares.

doole:
Kind of interesting - when exactly is 'over hyping' justified?

When is 'hyping' even justified?

You're right Doole. It is never good to overhype a product. What I should have said is that if the new product was truly revolutionary then it would have lived up to the hype and no one have been disappointed.

You seem to have a very personal relationship with these new products. With that in mind, I have a simple question:

If the fin is so incredible, and the regulator is so unique, and the new BC is so "revolutionary", then why is it only being produced for a limited market?

Your compadres have stated that they will not be available after the LE edition. I don't know about everyone else, but this makes ZERO sense from a manufacturers point of view, except in the short term. If it was SO GOOD, let the whole world buy it for as long as it was for sale.

2+2 does not add up to 4 here.

Debraw:
That was me that deleted my comments. I still think the product is wonderful, however, since I have a personal issue that I will not discuss in an open forum I have chosen to delete my comments. With that said I will comment brifely on the product.
It is the lightest regulator I have ever seen or held. The all metal regulator is very functional with 4 DFC ports and the ability to place your hoses in any configuration you want, with breathing capabilites even at the deepest depths, coldest waters or warmest waters. The Morphos BCD has a metal thread throughout the BCD called 3D alutex, that makes it pliable, packable, lightweight and very durable. This is revolutionary. No one else does it. The new Quattro is very flexible with a metal strand running right through the center of the fin for even more water displacement and channeling than before. The buckle has even been improved for easier use. If it gear that will last through the years then yes this will serve the purpose. If you are looking for style then yes, this is it. It will all be out in a year except for the metal strip in the Quattro fin. Oh, but see, I am only talking to a majority of people who haven't even been to the local Mares dealer to look at it, touch it or dive with it.

But you see the comments I made above are not really what you all are looking for. You just want to trash and bash the new and innovative. I pulled my comments ( among other reasons) because I just didn't want to be apart of your little flame war. You can't really convince people who have already made up their minds.

As for the comparison to the DVD/VHS section of this thread I was one of those people who bought a $1000 Satellite Dish when Direct TV first hit the market. I appreciate new technology and get excited about things. I get the point he was trying to make, some of you didn't. Keep an open mind, it is freeing.

The personalization, the metal strip in the fin, and the numbered edition will not be available after this year. I would like to ask why everyone seems to think they will have to overpay for the product? I keep reading comments where people don't want to pay extra money for personalization. Who said you had to?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom