Mares new limited edition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After wading through pages and pages of this thread, I'd like to offer some clarification, some applause and some constructive critism.

I am probably one of the most demanding people I know when it comes to regulator performance. I am also not, and never have been, a fan of plastic cased regs. Despite the marketing hype over "lightweight" and "small size" attributed to plastic regs, neither feature is relevent or important in the water where performance should eb the primary issue. I have always suspected that the real motivation of the industry toward plastic second stages was the potential to simplify production and drastically lower production costs (Dealer cost on plastic cases is about $5.00, so they are VERY inexpensive to produce).

On that note I applaud Mares for returning to a metal cased second stage design as it is absolutely a move in the right direction. Metal second stages do not have the dry mouth issues common to plastic cased second stages and as a frequent very cold water diver (bottom temps close to freezing) I can confirm that an all metal second stage is extremely desireable and freeze ups are virtually unheard of.

However I have not been able to use one of the new Mares regs yet. I'd love to but we have in fact not even seen a Mares/Dacor sales rep since before the merger. I do the reg repair for a small land locked shop and I have been left with the impression that small shops are not a priority for Mares.

Steve2281's approach is a little confrontational but his concerns are valid. In the US in particular, divers are still upset by what has occurred since Mares acquired Dacor and eliminated parts and service support for many of Dacor's designs - designs that were originally sold with a lifetime warranty. It has, to put it bluntly, created a major credibility problem for Mares in the US and has alienated a large percentage of the more experienced divers here.

Those same divers are going to be very careful about buying from Mares when companies like Scubapro and Aqualung have a history of providing parts support for their regs for decades rather than a few years and in fact still provide parts for regs that are 30 plus years old.

As a technical diver I can also understand the concern over making an already very equipment intensive sport even more equipment intensive. The HUD and BC advances are no doubt revolutionary, but it is a revolution that worries many divers as they see it as the potential basis for a further degeneration in the skill level of the average diver. For example BC's were themselves reovlutionary 35-40 years ago and opened the sport to many more divers who otherwise would not have had the fitness or swimming skills to dive safely - arguably a mixed blessing.

The limited edition marketing approach also comes off as being a little elitist, something that is often not well regarded in the US even if we, or the elected leaders we often unwisely elect, hypocritically act that way.

Hi all,

I would say I agree definitely with our moderator. By the way I would say that LE is not a revoution in scuba but puts a significant enhancement in regulators and fin technology.

The first stage has indeed the potential to be the first one on the market you can fine tune the LP in.

The fins are as interesting as the regulator. The blade and the opb enhances the already perfect avanti quattro.

As a good wine needs a good sommeiller...

algoman:
Hi all,

I would say I agree definitely with our moderator. By the way I would say that LE is not a revoution in scuba but puts a significant enhancement in regulators and fin technology.

The first stage has indeed the potential to be the first one on the market you can fine tune the LP in.

The fins are as interesting as the regulator. The blade and the opb enhances the already perfect avanti quattro.

As a good wine needs a good sommeiller...

Welcome to the board Algoman. Thanks for your input in your first posting on this board. It's raining here in KY, how's the weather on the other side of the pond??
steve

algoman:
What exactly does this mean, algoman?

on a side note, it's amazing to me the amount of people who are joining th eboard just to post in this thread, and whose only posts are in this thread, one has wonder about their motives..

mossym:
on a side note, it's amazing to me the amount of people who are joining th eboard just to post in this thread, and whose only posts are in this thread, one has wonder about their motives..

I noticed that also. Makes you wonder.

mossym:

Hi! As I wrote, i usually read this board.

This time i decided to write (and signin) cause I think that if a brand tries to do something different and its CEO tries to talk with us is GOOD.

I don't agree with most of you that just attacked this kind of operation.

I'm here to say to Mr. Di Martino to go ahead and to keep his attention on this board.

It's just too easy for people to complain without any costruction!

Bye

I joined Scubaboard the day I bought the LE Reg. I did some web research a couple of days earlier, typing "Mares Limited Edition Metal" and Google came up with this thread. Read it with great interest and decided to join so that I could share my impressions on the LE. Hope to contribute in the future on other topics.

Stephano, I work in a non-scuba related business in NYC, not a scuba manufacturer or dive shop. I'm a PADI Divemaster candidate, love my Mares Morphos Pro, own ScubaPro 650X with which I had problems initially, own ok-Tusa fins and great Tusa mask, ok-non-branded wetsuit. See, I try to be objective with the gear I own and know. Apologies for some sarcastic comments, I'm European like you. I'm sure you understand.

If you read my comments closely, you will see that I was (subjectively, agreed) harsh with the fins, but actually recommended the BC (because I know/love the Morphos Pro and the LE BC looked even better), and I actually purchased the Reg. I believe I said I liked Mares and made some compliments here and there, except for your marketing. Didn't wait 4 hours in the cold, just 30mn because I expected, from all the hype, that the whole thing was going to be sold out within minutes of the opening.

I didn't join this thread to bash Mares products; if one were a competitor trying to kill your product, one would have joined much earlier to kill the hype, making false calomnious statements.

Stephano, good one, you questioned the ethical value of the only person in this thread who actually purchased a product from the LE. I won't share my personal data online, but you can find me in your LE client database since I registered the Reg on day 1 under the same nickname. Question: what do you intend to do with my personal info?

Boogie711:
Stefano - let me approach this in a constructive manner.

I don't think people are upset with the products themselves. I think as the President of Mares, you should be keenly aware that you have upset people as a result of your marketing.

Calling something revolutionary is 'marketing.' Choosing to limit production is 'marketing.' Let me assure you, Stefano - your marketing staff have failed you on this project.

As a result, it's now Monday morning and you've got a bunch of pissed off divers, some disappointed dive shops, and a bunch of people who now no longer trust Mares when it comes to product claims.

Stefano, your marketing staff have created a credibility shortage for your company. Why should a future customer believe claims on durability, utility or design when they were promised something 'revolutionary' in the past???

And on a side note - the creators of the DVD didn't attempt to limit production to the first 2000 people, did they?

I think once again Boogie you have clarified the problem here. We are not saying that the new products are not somewhat innovative, quality products but that the "revolutionary" hype did not live up to what we saw when these were released. As any company must, you have to temper your advertising. The agency that you hired produced what I am sure was a very expensive campain but it is you the company that must realise that to go over the top and make such claims as "revolutionary" means there will be a lot of eyes on these new products and they had better deliver on that claim or else you will be in the position you are here, defending your product. IMO the problem lies in the word "revolutionary".

For what it's worth...

None of the first time posters appear to be sock puppets. ScubaBoard welcomes each and everyone of them with open arms! Glad you joined!

Possibly, we should try and do a reg test on the forum that is trusted most by divers. I have wanted to get into this arena, and maybe this is the way to do it.

Back
Top Bottom