Maltese court convicts dive buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we can conclude that @mac64 dives in a very restricting and confined set of parameters that doesn't match basically anyone anywhere. In his world,
There can be other conclusions drawn as well.

A few years ago I went through a very painful process in a thread with mac64. I will spare the details, but it had to do with using basic dive tables to plan multi-level dives. I kept asking the same question in different ways in an attempt to get a straight answer from him, but each of his replies was more evasive than the one before. What he was saying was truly impossible, but he would simply never respond directly to any point I made. I finally gave up.

So another possibility is that there are some people in all walks of life (I am not saying he is one of them) who make a problematic statement and then go to any length to defend it, not caring how far into the land of the absurd that requires.

To me, this makes as much sense as if you shoot an armed intruder dead in your own home at 2am, they find out you were a veteran with weapons training, and then charge you with murder because you didn't put the bullet in a non lethal place on his body.

There can be other conclusions drawn as well.

A few years ago I went through a very painful process in a thread with mac64. I will spare the details, but it had to do with using basic dive tables to plan multi-level dives. I kept asking the same question in different ways in an attempt to get a straight answer from him, but each of his replies was more evasive than the one before. What he was saying was truly impossible, but he would simply never respond directly to any point I made. I finally gave up.

So another possibility is that there are some people in all walks of life (I am not saying he is one of them) who make a problematic statement and then go to any length to defend it, not caring how far into the land of the absurd that requires.
To sumarize: ignore mac64. Got it.

I take it you have never been any sort of search & rescue role.

The last thing you do is increase the number of victims. That is what you are expecting of Mr. Castillo. This is an unreasonable expectation and contrary to how the world works.
This was also emphasized in my Wilderness First Responder course and in all the recertifications. You always make sure that the situation is safe before you tend to or rescue someone else.

I have seen that attitude in threads on ScubaBoard over the years, even in cases where the victim clearly suffered a heart attack during the dive. Well, what happened during the dive that caused that heart attack? If the dive buddy didn't do something to cause the diver to panic and have that attack, then the fault must lie with the instructor and agency that did not supply the quality of instruction that would have prevented the (unseen) panic that caused the attack. (After all, all heart attacks are the result of panic.)
It's a regular phenomenon in the US (and probably elsewhere), where lets say a mean-person does something very bad, creating one, two, or dozens of victims. The bad-person either ends themselves, or is too broke to sue.

So the victim families go after anyone and everyone else, including people and companies who had absolutely 0% of anything to do with the incident (i.e. "Walmart sold the knife!" "Bob did a news-report" "Joe, the gas-station attendant let them fill up their car!" "Carl was crossing the street nearby and could have done something!").

And then a certain culture that circle's the wagons. You cannot criticize (a) the "victim" (b) the victim's family (c) anyone hiding behind a pretense of noble cause, etc. Sure, I feel for the victim(s) and their families. But what they do in the aftermath is create a massive number of other victims, abusing the legal system to do so.

It's a regular phenomenon in the US (and probably elsewhere), where lets say a mean-person does something very bad, creating one, two, or dozens of victims. The bad-person either ends themselves, or is too broke to sue.

So the victim families go after anyone and everyone else, including people and companies who had absolutely 0% of anything to do with the incident (i.e. "Walmart sold the knife!" "Bob did a news-report" "Joe, the gas-station attendant let them fill up their car!" "Carl was crossing the street nearby and could have done something!").

And then a certain culture that circle's the wagons. You cannot criticize (a) the "victim" (b) the victim's family (c) anyone hiding behind a pretense of noble cause, etc. Sure, I feel for the victim(s) and their families. But what they do in the aftermath is create a massive number of other victims, abusing the legal system to do so.
In today's society, everyone's a victim LOL. This is my own personal bias, but honestly, I mostly blame politicians whose entire business model is pitting people against each other for votes and power. And the media/social media, acting as the propaganda arm of certain political parties, just encourage it more. Sounds like tin foil hat stuff but it's not hard to see how that has played out over the years.

In today's society, everyone's a victim LOL. This is my own personal bias, but honestly, I mostly blame politicians whose entire business model is pitting people against each other for votes and power. And the media/social media, acting as the propaganda arm of certain political parties, just encourage it more. Sounds like tin foil hat stuff but it's not hard to see how that has played out over the years.
Yes, but if a similar scenario as the Linnea Mills death occurred in Malta, there would be criminal prosecution and no one defending the accused.

As litigious as the United States is, even when there is negligence involved, criminal prosecution is a rarity. Or was Corbett Douglas prosecuted in the Tuvell death? My memory and Googlefoo say no.

I think we can conclude that @mac64 dives in a very restricting and confined set of parameters that doesn't match basically anyone anywhere. In his world, the basic rules of putting oneself at risk don't exist because there is someone else to step in. Besides the fact that he would never do the kind of dive that Gauci & Castillo were doing, but let's just say hypothetically he could set up his rope and bells and took Castillo's place. It would be someone else taking care of Gauci, not him.

That's how his world works. That isn't how the world works for everyone else.
All I can conclude is I'm talking to rank amateurs with zero experience of any kind of exploratory diving.

All I can conclude is I'm talking to rank amateurs with zero experience of any kind of exploratory diving.
I would feel safer diving with @wetb4igetinthewater than you any day. At least he lives in the real world.

Unless I wanted to do some ropes and bells dives, then I would find someone else who lives in the real world, still not you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom