Loosing watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ba_hiker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was diving with my sister and brother-in-law (trained in germany). They wore their dive computers and watches with extra loops, like you might use for a light, as backups for the straps. this way if the watch strap broke they would not lose the computer and/or have to abandon the dive.

I looked at the way watch bands attacy, and they use little spring pins to hold them to the watch. any one (of the four) spring points fail or retract and the watch (or computer) is gone.

Is it common to provide redundentcy in watch straps?

btw: i use the nylon/velcro watch bands instead of the providd straps and they are less failure prone. They require both spring pins to fail to lose the watch/computer.

You might check the "DIR" method with bungies.
OR you might try the "Bling, bling" style where you utilize a gold chain (not surgical tubing) and hang it from your neck!
:eek:ut:

Redundant loops are common for those of us diving wrist mounted gauges in dry suits, as the dry suit compresses at depth and your wrist gets smaller. I have seen women with wrists the same width as their hand with 5mm gloves and the wrist seals on their dry suit. We use the same lanyard as you use for lights. They are attached to the gauge in a manner the gauge will not be lost if it slips off or the strap breaks.

I have found 2 computers below the mooring buoy at a popular dive site here in BC. I found the owner to one of them the other has joined my back up computer supply.

I recently moved everything except my SPG from consol to wrist and, instead of straps, I made elastic bands that just make it over my glove rings. Easy to don and doff. No way to fall off.

Replacing the bands that come with a watch with a velcro band solves the problem. Remember to replace the velcro band when it wears out. I've found several watches with original bands, none with velcro bands.

Hehe...

So far, the only watch I've "lost" diving is a timex that was supposed to be water resistant to 100 meters.

It wasn't...

It didn't flood completely but it fogs up now at quick temperature changes. I figgure that little bit of salt water in there is doing wonders for the electronics.

Now I have a titanium G-Shock "Frogman" that's supposed to be good to 200 meters.

We'll see.

So far it's been to 240 fsw (about 80 msw) and it's just fine.

dc4bs once bubbled...
Hehe...

So far, the only watch I've "lost" diving is a timex that was supposed to be water resistant to 100 meters.

It wasn't...

Now I have a titanium G-Shock "Frogman" that's supposed to be good to 200 meters.

I have seen more timex's go than any other.

I had the same Frogman you have. Loved the thing. Esp. with the ability to track SI and bottom time.

I have a Seiko aviator watch that is waterproof to 100 meters and I took it diving once thinking it would be fine. It ended up going back to the factory for the required repairs. Turns out it, like many "water resistant" watches, the case is water resistant to 100 meters as are the buttons, BUT only if they are not pressed during the dive. I was told that is normally not a concern at recreational depths on most watches rated to 200 meter, but it's still a good idea to read the manual.

My normal dive watch is now your basic timex ironman. The G shock in one of it's many forms is reported to be an even better choice and is the choice of many commerical divers. Both are cheap and if they do flood is not a major disaster.

I did look at a couple simple 200 meter rated dive watches (a Citizen and a Bulova, both with one way ratcheting bezel, locking crown and the date but no other frills) a month or so ago but both ran about $200. I'll stick with my $40 Ironman.

Well i have had similiar experiences with timex and animal (surfing brand), the case will somehow let water in and fog up behind the screen, very annoying!

The frogman was over $200 when i checked it out, hardly any different than most other "dive" watches or simple wrist computers out there. I have the one from wal-mart from aqua-something, suggested by Rodales in an article some time this fall. It was only $6 Only rated to 164ft/50m, but i keep pretty good track of time, depth, air as we go along, so if it were to bust/fall off, i would hopefully know how long we had been down and even so, its time to get up anyway if that happens! Didnt really think of the buttons like that, but again, $6 for a new one isnt going to hurt.

As for velcro, i love the stuff for watch straps, except the smell when it gets used a lot.

Back
Top Bottom