Long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just used zip tie/snap bolt in the end.

Thanks for the various bit of advice, little tips and tricks and photos!

Cheers,
John

I like your idea and am trying to implement it as we speak, in my bedroom, kids milling around. I'm clearly missing something. I'm leaning towards the 'I am clearly stupid' statement but will save that for the moment.

How do you get the o-ring to attach to the (non gated end) bolt snap? This looks like one of those tricks you see at kids birthday parties where the magician manages to joining two independent hoops.

Any enlightenment?

Thx,
J

Apologies for not replying sooner, and since you already have a solution, it may be pointless, but what the heck! Unscrew the second stage from your hose. Then take the bolt snap and an O-ring (I didn't use a tank O-ring, as I erroneously reported earlier - I used a bigger Viton O-ring) and stick the squeezed-together O-ring through the base of the bolt-snap. Then loop the O-ring around itself and slide the hose through the bigger loop in the O-ring. Re-attach the second stage, and you're done!

Aha! Yeah, it was the o-ring size that was the obstacle. I removed second stage from the hose but from there I was stumped :)

All good now and will remember next time to get larger o-rings. At least I now have some tank o-rings which given the pop rate some liveabords I've been on can't be a bad thing.

Cheers,
J

Hate to sound snobby but it's been a while since I've carried a snorkel.
Bring a snorkel to Cocos and keep it handy (on the panga, if not on your person)! We interrupted one dive to quickly relocate to the fringes of a bait-ball. Hundreds of predators--silky, Galapagos, and blacktip sharks, tuna, dolphins and diving birds--were feasting on a slowly dwindling ball of bait fish. It lasted for hours and the dive masters insisted that we snorkel it--no tanks allowed.

I went through a while of forgetting to take my necklace off, that a few people have mentioned. So that's a big thing to watch for. :) Now that you have a bolt snap on it make sure you *always* clip it off when it is not in your mouth or otherwise secured well. I forgot this a bit at the start and dropped my second stage a few times. Other people who've borrowed my regs have done the same and it is not nice to hear the whack as it hits the ground or other solid surface... I do mod-S drill now before every dive too. Have fun on your trip :)

I went through a while of forgetting to take my necklace off, that a few people have mentioned. So that's a big thing to watch for. :) Now that you have a bolt snap on it make sure you *always* clip it off when it is not in your mouth or otherwise secured well. I forgot this a bit at the start and dropped my second stage a few times. Other people who've borrowed my regs have done the same and it is not nice to hear the whack as it hits the ground or other solid surface... I do mod-S drill now before every dive too. Have fun on your trip :)

I'll *try* to remember but it sounds like one of those things you can only fully remember through repetition of pain and humiliation :D

But I'll try, I'll try.

Vladamir - thanks for the heads up on the snorkel. I'll go get a bendy one and see if it'll squeeze in pocket beside integrated weights (another down side to integrated weights). I'm starting to get to the point now though that every new piece of kit is turning into a right old puzzle about where to attach or stow. It does keep my family amused though as I walk around the house trying to find the perfect place. I hate dangly bits. So I can't see that I'd attach the snorkel to my mask habitually.

Thanks again for the top tips!

J

I'll *try* to remember but it sounds like one of those things you can only fully remember through repetition of pain and humiliation :D

Yes exactly. This is the only way I learn things too. :)

You'd never have a photo of that would you? And what's a bolt snap? Please excuse my ignorance - I learn what I learn here, on the occasional dvd and through meeting divers mostly on vacation (for work, family and boats constantly cancelled reasons, difficult for me to get out often here so much lingo new to me) I may well have several bolt snaps, just wouldn't know what they're called.

Ta,
J

Sorry for the delay. Here is a photo of a rig with the o-ring on the 2nd stage. I have a half dozen rigs that my wife/buddy and I use so O-rings are more efficient than snaplinks. And, while the weight is almost nothing it does save a little. I keep a double ender on a chest D-ring and clip off when needed. I use the pictured snap links on my SPGs but I attach them with a piece of inner tube rather than cave line just to give the connection a little flexibility. It is quite a stretch but work fine.

Speaking of snorkels and long hoses, when deploying the long hose during an OOA situation, it is easy for the hose to get tangled up with the snorkel, so it doesn't swing off your head as easily as you would want.

I ran into that when I took my rescue diver class w/ a long hose setup. The first time we did an OOA drill in the pool, the hose got tangled in the snorkel and I ended up handing the 2nd stage to my OOA buddy upside down. A good lesson to happen in a pool session rather than RL.

Speaking of snorkels and long hoses, when deploying the long hose during an OOA situation, it is easy for the hose to get tangled up with the snorkel, so it doesn't swing off your head as easily as you would want.

I ran into that when I took my rescue diver class w/ a long hose setup. The first time we did an OOA drill in the pool, the hose got tangled in the snorkel and I ended up handing the 2nd stage to my OOA buddy upside down. A good lesson to happen in a pool session rather than RL.

Yeah, sounds like a good place to learn that particular lesson! I'm pretty clumsy by nature anyhow so I'd guessed I'd wrap them round each other given half a chance. That's why I like to have nothing protruding (except my tummy which no zip tie in the land is going to rein in) :D

J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom