Long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can see the bolt snap hanging off the hose in the left picture:

spg-attachment.jpg

A mod-S drill is a mock-deploy. While you're sitting geared up, have the primary reg in your mouth and take a few breaths from it. Then, deploy it as if there's an OOA diver in front of you. With your left hand, insert the necklaced backup reg into your mouth and take a few breaths from it. Free the entire length of the long hose from underneath your right arm. Then, stow everything back the way it was.

Performing this drill fully ensures that your tank valve is one, that your regulators are functioning, that your long hose is not trapped under your backup hose or anything else, that your backup is necklaced around your neck, and that you've routed the long hose correctly for a clean deploy.

One thing to keep in mind with the long hose is that you have to keep the right side of your body fairly clean for it to deploy easily.

If you were used to clip a large light, camera or slate on your right (chest or hip), consider moving it left. Stowed lights (snug against the harness) and small items usually aren't an issue.

Thanks for the top tip! I'm left handed so keep *most* stuff on left anyhow but will bear in mind keeping rhs area clear.

One annoyance actually that I remember is that checking my gauges was a slight pain. My primary and necklaced secondary clash so need to move necklaced out of the way to look down. Annoying but not awful.

Thanks for the advice, appreciated.

J

You can see the bolt snap hanging off the hose in the left picture:

spg-attachment.jpg

A mod-S drill is a mock-deploy. While you're sitting geared up, have the primary reg in your mouth and take a few breaths from it. Then, deploy it as if there's an OOA diver in front of you. With your left hand, insert the necklaced backup reg into your mouth and take a few breaths from it. Free the entire length of the long hose from underneath your right arm. Then, stow everything back the way it was.

Performing this drill fully ensures that your tank valve is one, that your regulators are functioning, that your long hose is not trapped under your backup hose or anything else, that your backup is necklaced around your neck, and that you've routed the long hose correctly for a clean deploy.

Thanks for that and as I kinda thought, yes I've plenty bolt snaps. Or 'gold things' as I call them :D

Re mod-S drill, ok cool. Was doing that in pool and at home. Actually lots easier than looks. Found it slightly tricky to make sure hoses weren't tangled to kick off with and can see how mod-S drill will confirm set up correct or not.

Thanks for the post and picture - very useful.

Cheers,
J

This is a silly one one, and not necessarily long-hose specific, but rather specific to the bungeed back-up. I can't count the number of times I forgot to take the necklace off before I took my rig off. I would notice as soon as it pulled tension on my neck, but by that time, I just had to set the rig down and bend over with it (cause there's no putting it back on once I have it slipped off).

As for the long hose, re-read the things Gombessa pointed out. You need to make sure that you can deploy the hose, so that means you have to put the bungeed back-up on first and route the long hose second, so it's not trapped. You need to duck your head slightly so the hose doesn't get caught when you're trying to deploy it. Check this in your pre-dive sequence....physically take the second stage from your mouth, holding on to the hose, duck your head and deploy the long hose. If it's caught up, fix it before you descend....if it's all fine, start your dive.

Finally, if the second stage is not in your mouth (or your buddy's mouth), it should be clipped off to your right chest d-ring. This will save it from getting tossed around, stepped on, smashed, etc.

My frog kick is fine thank you! But all right, all right, I'm over there now! :wink:

(p.s. my frog kick probably isn't fine either :D)

Cheers E!

J

Erm, cunning linguist though I be, dutch is, sadly, not my forte. Pray tell where English version?

This is a silly one one, and not necessarily long-hose specific, but rather specific to the bungeed back-up. I can't count the number of times I forgot to take the necklace off before I took my rig off. I would notice as soon as it pulled tension on my neck, but by that time, I just had to set the rig down and bend over with it (cause there's no putting it back on once I have it slipped off).

That's got me written all over it. Will bear in mind yet guarantee I'll do it 75% dives. I'll probably learn once lesions in neck start oozing :D

Finally, if the second stage is not in your mouth (or your buddy's mouth), it should be clipped off to your right chest d-ring. This will save it from getting tossed around, stepped on, smashed, etc.

Ok great thanks. Just so I'm straight - idea is to zip tie bolt just south of primary second stage so can be easily hook into right top D-ring?

Thanks,
John

Gotta run to bed but thanks a million for the advice - small things perhaps but they're the things that can be a real PITA so glad to pre-learn, as it were.

Buenos noches amigos,

J

Ok great thanks. Just so I'm straight - idea is to zip tie bolt just south of primary second stage so can be easily hook into right top D-ring?

Thanks,
John

I attach my bolt snaps with cave line. HERE is a "how to" on attaching bolt snaps with cave line. I attach my bolt snap right to the hose, where the metal fitting meets the hose, this way if I want to clip my primary off at any time, it's right in place for me to grab and snap in one motion (sometimes it's as smooth as it sounds....sometimes not so much! It takes practice and I'm still getting there).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom