Which hose length do you use

• 5 feet

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • 7 feet

Votes: 51 76.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dragon Eye

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
:D

I'm 5'3" little lady and am looking to change up my reg configuration a little and add miflex. I tried out my hubby's primary 7' and it seems to be a little long for me...... Can you give me some recommendations on the 5' vs 7' hose length? Would 5' be enough or would there be a compelling reason to go with the 7' and just tuck in the extra hose.

For ease I made a quick poll to see which is most popular, but if you have something to add I'm listening!

Thanks in advance!

Probably 99% of all divers would tick "other," but I guess they're not the targets of your poll. I use a 40" primary with a 90° fitting, which is comfortable, easy, and streamlined.

From my very limited experience 7 feet if you have doubles. Something
less if you are diving a single tank. Most importantly find what is comfortable for you.

Probably 99% of all divers would tick "other," but I guess they're not the targets of your poll. I use a 40" primary with a 90° fitting, which is comfortable, easy, and streamlined.

I would wager my 7 ft hose is much more streamlined than your 40in

From my very limited experience 7 feet if you have doubles. Something
less if you are diving a single tank. Most importantly find what is comfortable for you.

Lots of people dive long hoses with single tank rigs.

I dive with a 7' hose on single tanks and doubles. The excess can easily be tucked into your waist strap. I'd rather have the extra hose than not.

I don't dive doubles or have a can light, but I'm 6'1" and I've found that a 6' works just fine for me.

I'm 6 foot 1, and I use a 5 foot hose on a single 120, and its just barely enough. After this summer I'm probably going to switch it out to a 7 footer

Have to admit; that thread title is an eye catcher! :D

if you can get a 5' hose to tuck/route properly, I see no need for a 7' hose, especially for an open water/recreational diver (non cave or wreck penetration). If you're petite, I should think 5' is fine, the best thing to do is actually try (maybe the store will let you borrow one off the shelf while you're there) and install a 5' hose on your reg, then gear up in the store, tank, reg, BC, and while looking in a mirror and having hubby also check you out, REALLY find out if a 5' hose is gonna work. If you're not using a canister light, find something else you can route the hose under (I use a large Halcyon mask pocket, works great!). Personally I don't like just stuffing extra length somewhere under my waist belt, so I want something (Can light or decent sized mask pocket) to route the extra lenght under.

Back
Top Bottom