Which hose length do you use

• 5 feet

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • 7 feet

Votes: 51 76.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, that BC. I'm using a BC now and its not a big deal to stuff the extra in a waistband. I can't see the BC being a factor in the decision really.

There is just more to stow for her because she is a lot smaller.

To me, context is everything. When I hear someone recommending a 7' hose for OW diving I think one of three things:

1.) That person is also a technical diver who currently uses a 7' hose for that application and doesn't want to switch back and forth.

2.) That person was trained by an agency/subscribes to a phylosophy that places a high degree of emphasis on standardization, thus believing that the gear worn on a highly committed overhead dive could (should) also be worn on a simple recreational dive.

3.) The OP has indicated they wish to pursue overhead technical diving.

Using a 7' hose makes sense if one falls into one of those three camps (no criticism here) but not everyone fits into those camps. If it is not needed for a larger framed person, and the above provisios are absent; I am hard pressed to find a reason to carry 2 extra feet of hose on every dive that one will never need. Particularily when some of the same people who would recommend stuffing 2' of hose would also recommend cutting the knobs off of BC dump valves or removing the little mouth guard thingy on the BC oral inflator because they are unneccisary hinderances. They might also complain about large capacity wings because the extra volume of gas in unneccisary.

It may be possible to highly optimize a rig for technical diving and also dive that same rig in simple recreational settings but it doesn't follow that the same rig would be "optimized" for recreational diving. There are applications that become sub optimal when the setting changes. It happens when we move up the commitment ladder and when we move down.

If you are only considering the longhose for it's primary donation/bungiied secondary value in an OW setting, and not because you need to swim single file through a restriction, buy the hose that routes best for you and that does not present extra length that needs to be continuously and uselessly "managed".

Question whether you make gear choices based on what works best for you and your daily diving requirements or because it's what some other divers think you should be wearing. The context for each may be different. Whatever one chooses, one ought to be able to justify the reasoning behind it.

If, after hundreds of OW dives where one has stuffed extra hose on every dive for no valid reason, will one be able to say that theirs was a optimized rig that followed Hogarthian principles?

To me, context is everything. When I hear someone recommending a 7' hose for OW diving I think one of three things:

1.) That person is also a technical diver who currently uses a 7' hose for that application and doesn't want to switch back and forth.

2.) That person was trained by an agency/subscribes to a phylosophy that places a high degree of emphasis on standardization, thus believing that the gear worn on a highly committed overhead dive could (should) also be worn on a simple recreational dive.

3.) The OP has indicated they wish to pursue overhead technical diving.

Using a 7' hose makes sense if one falls into one of those three camps (no criticism here) but not everyone fits into those camps.

OP is not in one of those camps. We've done some more advanced diving like ice diving, but we haven't run out of things to see yet and don't currently feel motivated for tech or penetration diving (wreck or cave). The day may come where she has interest to do so, and if we need to change a hose, we'll do it then. No need to buy it now "just in case".

I posted about my experience that made me decide to switch my reg configuration a few pages back. After some thinking, she decided she wanted the same.

If it is not needed for a larger framed person, and the above provisios are absent; I am hard pressed to find a reason to carry 2 extra feet of hose on every dive that one will never need. Particularily when some of the same people who would recommend stuffing 2' of hose would also recommend cutting the knobs off of BC dump valves or removing the little mouth guard thingy on the BC oral inflator because they are unneccisary hinderances. They might also complain about large capacity wings because the extra volume of gas in unneccisary.

It may be possible to highly optimize a rig for technical diving and also dive that same rig in simple recreational settings but it doesn't follow that the same rig would be "optimized" for recreational diving. There are applications that become sub optimal when the setting changes. It happens when we move up the commitment ladder and when we move down.

If you are only considering the longhose for it's primary donation/bungiied secondary value in an OW setting, and not because you need to swim single file through a restriction, buy the hose that routes best for you and that does not present extra length that needs to be continuously and uselessly "managed".

That really is the question here. Is a 7' hose troublesome to a smaller framed person? Or is there really no difference in managing it over a 5'.

Question whether you make gear choices based on what works best for you and your daily diving requirements or because it's what some other divers think you should be wearing. The context for each may be different. Whatever one chooses, one ought to be able to justify the reasoning behind it.

If, after hundreds of OW dives where one has stuffed extra hose on every dive for no valid reason, will one be able to say that theirs was a optimized rig that followed the Hogarthian principles of bringing only what one needs?

Obviously, you haven't met the OP. I think she needs to go to Hogarthian principles class, because this chick hauls stuff around like a little sherpa. :wink: My truck springs would appreciate a little more optimization.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments. She didn't start this thread for a debate on the merits of a long hose. That decision has basically been made. Now, she is just trying to narrow it down to a 5 or a 7 footer. Fortunately, many retailers have a generous return policy, so if I order the 5' for her and she doesn't like it once its here, I can return it and get her the 7'. I "think" that's how she is leaning - at least at lunch time it was.

I am sure we are all looking forward to Dragon Eye's next gear configuration question, it sounds like you guys have the right attitude both about your diving and gear choices-enjoy and have fun :) even better drop us a line on how you make out:cool2:

Last night, we did some "tests" with my long hose and her gear simulating a 5 foot and a 7 foot. She gave me the green light to order her a 7 foot. So, 7 foot it is.

Last night, we did some "tests" with my long hose and her gear simulating a 5 foot and a 7 foot. She gave me the green light to order her a 7 foot. So, 7 foot it is.

So what do you guys do between lunch and dinner? :popcorn:

Good decision :thumbs-up

Thanks everyone for your help and input!

In the end the routing of the 5 ft vs 7 ft made the largest difference. The 5 would of been okay had it not looped right where my drysuit inflator valve would be- had some issues earlier with the chest strap hitting the button for me (which was a easy fix to just not use it)- so I went with the 7 ft because tucking in the extra made a nice v around where that button is and seemed to be more out of the way. There certainly isn't so much extra hose that would hang out anywhere so for me the 7 ft was the best choice.

My ex g/f is 5'2" and has a roundish figure (Size 12). I started her in a 5' hose and when I bought the second canister light she immediately switched to a 7' hose and has not looked back. Many people will use a pocket or even shears work great for holding the hose in place.

As to Miflex vs a conventional rubber hose, I much prefer a Halcyon branded hose. They are better quality than the average hose, and much thinner, yet still have a firm shape. I do not want a floppy hose as I scooter.

For those of us that dive in kelp the long hose adds in another means to exit under the canopy, that could be a brutal crawl, in the event of a loss of gas.

I'm 5'8" on a good day and I just did my first dive with a 7' hose today after using a 5' hose since last year. I'm a pretty slim feller so I had a bit of excess, even after tucking it under my shears holster, but I liked how I didn't have to worry about trapping my hose under the backup lights I use regularly.

Ultimately the 7' hose is going on a set of doubles in preparation for more demanding diving in my future but I think I will keep the 5' on my singles rig just because it routes cleaner on my body and I'm used to using it in that configuration. I even remember to not trap my longhose (most of the time.

As for your purchase of a 7 footer, congratulations! Make sure you take some time to practice deploying, stowing, and air-sharing with it. Having a tool is no good if you don't know how to employ it properly.

Peace,
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom