Which hose length do you use

• 5 feet

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • 7 feet

Votes: 51 76.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In situation where I had to share air probably an OOA situation I would no be taking a long swim back to the ascent line, I would be making a emergency accent right where we are and would have though a 40" hose would work fine in this situation.

I once managed to get a VERY panicked OOA diver who was well off a wreck back to the ascent line safely, my 7' hose certainly made the job easier. Sure was nice bringing a panicked diver back to the boat and not having to babysit him for a long surface swim or force the dive boat to recall everyone, or worse, leave them hanging to rescue one diver.

you can tuck it in the waistband if you aren't wearing a primary light. that's what I do.
nothing wrong with a 5 footer I guess. but i would need a reason to buy another hose

I find tucking it in annoying and sometimes it comes out. I put a sheath on there instead now (as most of the time I don't have a primary light there) and that makes it better (never comes untucked), but 5' is just much more comfy for me. In OW I don't think 7' is necessary unless one prefers 7'. I just totally disagree with comments such as "5 footer isn't quite long enough for proper air sharing". In OW, it is fine.

I do appreciate pointing out the use of doubles and potential for cave or wreck thinking down the line.

If you are planning to continue into wreck or cave I wouldn't make that the guiding choice for the length of your hose, it really is a matter of personal choice and comfort .

It would seem to me that in the case of wreck or cave diving, the length of hose would depend more upon the size of the buddy than the size of the donor. If you are doing a single file exit with the OOA diver in front, how long should the hose be?

:D

I'm 5'3" little lady and am looking to change up my reg configuration a little and add miflex. I tried out my hubby's primary 7' and it seems to be a little long for me...... Can you give me some recommendations on the 5' vs 7' hose length? Would 5' be enough or would there be a compelling reason to go with the 7' and just tuck in the extra hose.

For ease I made a quick poll to see which is most popular, but if you have something to add I'm listening!

Thanks in advance!

A longhose setup is undoubtedly more streamlined than a standard setup with a 20" horseshoe coming around the side of your head and the other 40" half-moon down your side to your octo. Yes, you can stow the 40" octo hose (as I did when I was diving that setup), but the majority of divers I see don't.

I am 5'5", so height has nothing to do with it. There are several ways to stow the 7' hose. My preferred method is to tuck it in my waste band. Easy to deploy, easy to stow.

Not sure where this "7' is for doubles" is coming from. Never heard that before. I know a lot of singles divers that dive a 7' primary - myself included.

Dive whatever works for you so long as it can be done safely and not create a mess in a pinch. You will come to love that 7' hose in an air share. Anyone that tells you differently has probably never used one.

In regards to the 5 footer - I've dives with a few that have a 5' primary. They all tell me they miss that extra 2'. 5' seems like a lot - it's not.

I'm 5'11" and use a 5' hose. It routes well and is fine (IMO) for OW diving. On a petite person who wasn't doing overheads I'd question whether a 7' hose would hold any advantages at all compared to the disadvantages of having to stuff loose, extra hose all the time.

I found 5' hose always get's on the way while working with teh D-rings. 7' is not a big deal, it's just one extra movement of routing it behind the canister light

I found 5' hose always get's on the way while working with teh D-rings. 7' is not a big deal, it's just one extra movement of routing it behind the canister light

I've also found an uncanny pattern that most divers who are loudly outspoken against the 7' hose have never dived one.

I've also found an uncanny pattern that most divers who are loudly outspoken against the 7' hose have never dived one.

I'm thinking those against the 7' hose most likely have never dived a BP/W.
With a BP/W the webbing at the waist conveniently doubles as a long hose retainer, but how about a jacket BC? Imagine shoving the excess hose in and under a jacket BC, like wearing a muffler.

I'm thinking those against the 7' hose most likely have never dived a BP/W.
With a BP/W the webbing at the waist conveniently doubles as a long hose retainer, but how about a jacket BC? Imagine shoving the excess hose in and under a jacket BC, like wearing a muffler.

I can't imagine diving a jacket BCD.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom