Which hose length do you use

• 5 feet

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • 7 feet

Votes: 51 76.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The benefit of streamlining for an OW diver is reduced air consumption. The more surface area outside the "slipstream" of your body, the more drag it creates and the more force it takes to overcome that which translates into additional air usage.

This is especially noticeable in heavy currents where the way a 40" hose loops off the tank causes it to vibrate or "sing."

For some people air consumption may not be an issue, but I found that my air consumption greatly decreased when I learned how to properly streamline my gear.

It's amazing how how much your "air consumption" decreases when you start using "streamlined" CCR's :wink:

I think it depends on why you want to use a long hose. If you are planning to dive in confined environments such as wrecks and caves then the hose needs to be long enough to allow you to comfortably follow behind your buddy in an emergency situation. However if you simply want a longer hose because (like me) you find this a more comfortable way to share air in an open water environment then 5' may well be long enough.
Personally (I'm 5'7") I find a 7' hose perfectly managable with a single tank and no light cannister. I can then use essentially the same configuration for "recreational" diving as I do when I go Techy
The other point to consider is a long hose dose not have to be Hog looped. You could for example bungee the hose to your tank and route your primary as you do now, over your shoulder, or alternatively use the long hose (again bungeed to your tank) as your alternate air source (which was the option advocated when I did my ANDI Technical Safeair course).

I think it depends on why you want to use a long hose. If you are planning to dive in confined environments such as wrecks and caves then the hose needs to be long enough to allow you to comfortably follow behind your buddy in an emergency situation. However if you simply want a longer hose because (like me) you find this a more comfortable way to share air in an open water environment then 5' may well be long enough.
Personally (I'm 5'7") I find a 7' hose perfectly managable with a single tank and no light cannister. I can then use essentially the same configuration for "recreational" diving as I do when I go Techy
The other point to consider is a long hose dose not have to be Hog looped. You could for example bungee the hose to your tank and route your primary as you do now, over your shoulder, or alternatively use the long hose (again bungeed to your tank) as your alternate air source (which was the option advocated when I did my ANDI Technical Safeair course).

:confused: The principle behind using a long hose on your primary reg is because you will use it as the donor reg in the event of an OOA or buddy equipment failure because you know you are providing a working reg to a stressed diver. This has been beat to death so I am surprised to hear that an ANDI instructor would advocate that you bungee the long hose and make it your safe second.

Also using single cylinders as the OP is currently using, you will not be conducting overhead or penetration dives.

I have:
On single setup 5'
On doubles setup 7'

I prefer 5' and I chose that size deliberately as my diving was mostly OW. I had to do an overhead course and a 7' was required so that's how I ended up with 7' on my twins, getting used to it and it is not so bad now but I hated it at first. For OW diving, 5' is fine, 7' probably overkill but won't hurt.

Greetings Dragoneye and I actually use both. I have a friend who uses a six foot hose on his single rig because he is about 6'2 and it is more comfortable for him.
I like the 5' personally but I am 5'10 and it stows nicely.
Personally I would buy all three and use what works best then either keep the others for spares or sell them. I have done just that several times. There is always someone looking for a hose! Sorry for the pun, I could not help it!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

:D

I'm 5'3" little lady and am looking to change up my reg configuration a little and add miflex. I tried out my hubby's primary 7' and it seems to be a little long for me...... Can you give me some recommendations on the 5' vs 7' hose length? Would 5' be enough or would there be a compelling reason to go with the 7' and just tuck in the extra hose.

For ease I made a quick poll to see which is most popular, but if you have something to add I'm listening!

Thanks in advance!

Dragon Eye, my wife is about your size.

She started with a 7' hose; this was just a bit too long, and would not stay seated firmly at her right hip where the light can goes. When she'd tuck the excess it was just too much of a loop under the waist strap.

She ordered a 6' hose, and all the issues went away. Perfect for her build, and we haven't really seen any problem with S-drills, or, swimming during an air share in any configuration.

All the best, James

Dragon Eye, my wife is about your size.

She started with a 7' hose; this was just a bit too long, and would not stay seated firmly at her right hip where the light can goes. When she'd tuck the excess it was just too much of a loop under the waist strap.

She ordered a 6' hose, and all the issues went away. Perfect for her build, and we haven't really seen any problem with S-drills, or, swimming during an air share in any configuration.

All the best, James

Thanks James! I was wondering about the 6 ft as well but intentionally left it off my poll and question to see about the compelling reasons for going with each 5 and 7 ft size- maybe I'll have to sit down with the gear and the 7ft again and see how much hose I can loose comfortably.

I do appreciate pointing out the use of doubles and potential for cave or wreck thinking down the line.

Miflex does not appear to make a 6 foot hose as a standard choice. This leaves 5 foot and 7 foot as the choices.

Thanks James! I was wondering about the 6 ft as well but intentionally left it off my poll and question to see about the compelling reasons for going with each 5 and 7 ft size- maybe I'll have to sit down with the gear and the 7ft again and see how much hose I can loose comfortably.

I do appreciate pointing out the use of doubles and potential for cave or wreck thinking down the line.

If you are planning to continue into wreck or cave I wouldn't make that the guiding choice for the length of your hose, it really is a matter of personal choice and comfort but you should also think about how you use each setup and what you really need :).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom