Which hose length do you use

• 5 feet

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • 7 feet

Votes: 51 76.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would wager my 7 ft hose is much more streamlined than your 40in
What do you see as the principal benefit of the huge difference in streamlining between the two configurations?

I'm a 5'4" petite lady and I agree the 7' is not very streamline with the single cylinder. It doesn't seem very efficient to route it under the light canister and then the extra tuck, so passed on the 7' until the extra length is necessary for more advanced diving.

If you are diving with a light canister on your waist band--try a 6' hose which should route perfectly with the single cylinder and seems plenty long for shared gas ascents/side by side kicks at rec limits. It works great for me.

If not diving a light canister, it is common to use a 5' hose with a single tank or like others have said just tuck the 7' hose.

The above works best with a BP/W set up, if you are diving a recreational BC then it's probably best to go with a 5' hose.

That being said:

Your thread just inspired me to swap from the 6' hose to the 7' hose (on my doubles rig) tomorrow to see how it feels--as the 6' hose is a little restrictive with doubles even at 5'4"

If I ever move to scooter/overhead environment diving (in singles or doubles) I'll dive a
7' hose for safe single file gas share exits/towing.

Have fun diving ;-).

Last edited:
What do you see as the principal benefit of the huge difference in streamlining between the two configurations?

I don't have a bow in my hose flopping out in the slipstream. The statement was in response to you saying "my 40in hose is streamlined" or words to that effect

The benefit of streamlining for an OW diver is reduced air consumption. The more surface area outside the "slipstream" of your body, the more drag it creates and the more force it takes to overcome that which translates into additional air usage.

This is especially noticeable in heavy currents where the way a 40" hose loops off the tank causes it to vibrate or "sing."

For some people air consumption may not be an issue, but I found that my air consumption greatly decreased when I learned how to properly streamline my gear.

Unless penetrating a wreck or Cave diving I see no reason for a long hose, IMO a standard length hose should work fine for recreational Open Water dives, but hey to each his own.

Damn, Rox beat me too it.

Unless penetrating a wreck or Cave diving I see no reason for a long hose, IMO a standard length hose should work fine for recreational Open Water dives, but hey to each his won.

Make a long swim back to an ascent line while air sharing and you might find an appreciation for the longer hose. But like you said, to each their own.

I don't have a bow in my hose flopping out in the slipstream. The statement was in response to you saying "my 40in hose is streamlined" or words to that effect
It is streamlined, it is routed almost straight down from the tank, under my arm, and there is no bow flopping in the slipstream.

Make a long swim back to an ascent line while air sharing and you might find an appreciation for the longer hose. But like you said, to each their own.

In situation where I had to share air probably an OOA situation I would no be taking a long swim back to the ascent line, I would be making a emergency accent right where we are and would have though a 40" hose would work fine in this situation.

I'm 6'1 and use a 5 ft hose. If I was to be pedantic I'd say I find it just a tad short to loop around but is quite usable. A swivel would make it sit a little better.

I think the main advantage of the 5 ft is if I drop my reg while standing it won't hit the ground.

Back
Top Bottom