Which hose length do you use

• 5 feet

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • 7 feet

Votes: 51 76.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm thinking those against the 7' hose most likely have never dived a BP/W.
With a BP/W the webbing at the waist conveniently doubles as a long hose retainer, but how about a jacket BC? Imagine shoving the excess hose in and under a jacket BC, like wearing a muffler.

You can always hide the excess in some kind of pocket :) or stuff it under bungees :D

I'm thinking those against the 7' hose most likely have never dived a BP/W.
With a BP/W the webbing at the waist conveniently doubles as a long hose retainer, but how about a jacket BC? Imagine shoving the excess hose in and under a jacket BC, like wearing a muffler.

Most jacket BC's have all sorts of clips and such on them. Easiest thing would probably be to at a loop of bungie as a retainer. The loop of long hose could be pushed into the bungie to hold the excess, yet still easily pulled free when needed.

I've also found an uncanny pattern that most divers who are loudly outspoken against the 7' hose have never dived one.

:D FORMERLY Guilty---

My best advice now when I see someone on the path I was is.. Go diving with some cave diving chicks and get schooled about trim, fin kick, streamlining etc in a long hallway of a wreck penetration and you'll be enlightened.

It would seem to me that in the case of wreck or cave diving, the length of hose would depend more upon the size of the buddy than the size of the donor. If you are doing a single file exit with the OOA diver in front, how long should the hose be?

If you are planning to continue into wreck or cave I wouldn't make that the guiding choice for the length of your hose, it really is a matter of personal choice and comfort but you should also think about how you use each setup and what you really need .

If you had included the complete quote John, "but you should also think about how you use each setup and what you really need" We are talking about a single cylinder OW setup. It is a personal choice as I said, and I still maintain that you do not need a 7'0" hose for this kind of diving. If you are diving cave or penetration it would go without saying that you would use a 7'0" hose as per your scenario.

shortie

( snickering )

Watch it Randy:duck:

j/k :)

But back to the topic. Like I said I'm short and dive the 7'. I tuck it into my waist strap and have never had an issue. I'm a new-ish diver, so many things that would not bother an experienced diver, bother me. But the long hose has never been one of them. I switched to it one day, and never noticed any discomfort.

As a shorter diver I found the 7' hose a bit cumbersome when wearing a single & light can. Route the hose under the light can and still there is lots of hose, an additional tuck was not too efficient. The 6' hose routed perfectly under the light can.

Singles with no light can, the 7' hose and one tuck seems efficient enough.

With the doubles the 7' works fine, it's just a little loose.

It's nice to have the extra hose for s-drills and shared air ascents/swims, but the 6' has posed no limitations in recreational limits.

Has anyone asked if the OP is wearing a BP/W or a BC?

As a shorter diver I found the 7' hose a bit cumbersome when wearing a single & light can. Route the hose under the light can and still there is lots of hose, an additional tuck was not too efficient. The 6' hose routed perfectly under the light can.

Singles with no light can, the 7' hose and one tuck seems efficient enough.

With the doubles the 7' works fine, it's just a little loose.

It's nice to have the extra hose for s-drills and shared air ascents/swims, but the 6' has posed no limitations in recreational limits.

Has anyone asked if the OP is wearing a BP/W or a BC?

As I recall the OP is diving a BC

I'm 5'-2" and I dive a 7' hose, whether diving singles or doubles. I've never had any issues with it....though I do suspect that if I didn't have a can light, the excess hose might be cumbersome.

If you're diving a bp/w with can light, a 7' hose should be no issue for you. If you're diving a traditional bc or a bp/w with no can light, a 5' or 6' may be a better option.

Do make sure that you talk with someone who has experience diving the long hose / bungeed back-up before you start diving it. While it's not inherently tricky, there are things that should be avoided (some very important, others for comfort....e.g. you'll want to take your bungeed back-up off before you remove your rig....otherwise you'll quickly remember that it's still attached to your head!).

She is diving an Oceanic Hera BC.

This BC?
OceanicHeraBCD1Lo.jpg

I've heard others mention that 5' hoses are easier to route/use with BC's but I have no experience using BC's and long hoses together. Perhaps somebody else does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom