Let The revolution Begin!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think Genesis thought is a good one...I don´t know if a new agency is the right way to go but I think the level and training suggested are necessary to enjoy even "coctail-diving". I have the OW, AOW, Nitrox and Drysuit certs (so maybe I´m biased). I got these at my local LDS at the instructor there has been great. Now, I´m still pretty new as a diver so my trim and bouyancy could be better (and I expect they´ll continue to).

AOW is usually required on live-aboards and lets face it most dives go below 18 meters. So selling the need for these shouldn´t be a problem anywhere.

Nitrox and Drysuit will propably be harder and aren´t really necessary for most dives (I live in Sweden and dive wet for at least 6 mnths a year so the coldwater argument wont hold with me, a good 5+7 mm wetsuit is enough for some of my friends in 0C SW). Both the Drysuit and Nitrox are mostly about increasing comfort and a lot of people just wont want to pay for it.

If you package the thing as a "complete-whatever-kit" and stress that at least AOW is necessary to enjoy the kind of diving "most" (guessing here) people want to enjoy I think people would bite, specially if you consider that the cost efficency for the instructor should be able to make the complete package cheaper than getting the certs seperately.

Will this produce better divers (even if going thru existing agencies)?
-I think so, the concentrated, increased amount of dives alone should be enough to make you a better diver with better control over yourself and your equipment...

samsp:
What PADI has done (for better or worse is debatable) is created an OW certification that is sufficient to get people into the water and diving. The problem though is that at the end, most students probably have sufficient knowlege to be able to go down safely on dives with an instructor/Dive master. If however there are problems, they are not going to have the experience/knowlege to solve them. I don't think its sufficient to be able to walk into a dive shop, buy all the equipment, get some tanks filled and drop to 60'.

You've got some good points here. I came back from a recent dive trip I planned myself in Cayman. I got lucky in that I buddied up right away with a safe diver and she turned out to be an awesome buddy. Feeling safe right away definately helped as there were a lot of "firsts" for me on these dives.
First dive to 100 fsw. First dive in a BP/W. First dive in a 3mm shortie. First dive off a wall (with no "bottom"). Fortunately I was certified AOW in cold, dark quarry water. When I hit the tropical water it seemed much easier although my instructor told me to watch my depth in clear water. It was also good I had my own gear. I was able to get tuned up rather quickly and had some fantastic dives. I was impressed when a buddy team set their depth limit to 60' on their dives. They knew there limits and set them. I did however see some scary stuff out there with some other divers.

samsp:
Another requirement could be to have a temperature aspect to the certification. If you certify in warm water, the C card would specify that, and you would again have restrictions based on that. A new cert could be gained by taking a course in the appropriate waters, this could be offered by the LDS for somebody who learned in warm waters.

As I stated above I went from cold certs. to warm water. Gives you a skill set that warm water divers don't have. There should be something maybe for warm to cold.

Genesis:
- "An increasing number of charter operators are requiring AOW cards to go to the "cool" places (e.g. the SG) and if you actually would like to spend some time there, you need the Nitrox card as well."

What planet is this on? Last week, at the dock, after diving the Eagle, some kid asks me "What was the time on the first dive?" I tell him the time of day we went in the water, and he says, no, the bottom time. I asked him why he wanted MY bottom time, since he was already out of his wetsuit when I hit the ladder, and he said "for my log" I asked what his computer said, and he said he had none, and no timer either. He just followed the DM, and somehow knew he had been to 106fsw. Upon questioning, he had NO CLUE why he might want to know his own actual bottom time for a 106 foot dive. The boat crew and DM didn't know he had no computer or timer, or that didn't know why he should have one; he'd presented some sort of C-card, and that was it. I see this ALL THE TIME. The PRACTICED industry standard is an OW card to dive, and maybe, sometimes, a Nitrox card to get a mix fill. (I've never been asked for a card to get a Nitrox fill.)

Genesis - "This is why bundling those things is important. The Dry Suit is important because if you want to dive any of the charters north of Florida, you will want one and again, without the card nobody will rent you one."

I guess you weren't at Gilboa 1 June 2003. HUNDREDS being lent drysuits with NO credentials. It's simple, the OW card is the gateway. Give me an OW card, and I can finagle almost any kind of diving access. BTW, I've dove the NC, Ohio quarries, and Lake Erie in a 3mm wetsuit, and know many others who have.

GDI wrote that quality will outsell quantity.
I suggest he consider the following two quotes:

"How do we make money in America? Volume, volume, volume"
-David Letterman

"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence
of the buying public" - P.T. Barnum

Remember, GDI, the high Nielsen ratings record for a series is still held by "Laverne & Shirley," although the trashy reality shows have come close. People, on the whole, gravitate to the
least common denominator, unless carefully enticed or coerced otherwise. For those who persist in the naive notion that most consumers act in their own best interest, I submit the profits of the tobacco industry. Sturgeon's law applies to consumers, too.

Biscuit7 claims the standards are fine, but that the instruction can be crappy. The primary purpose of the standards is to prevent crappy instruction - the standards are the 'floor' for instructors, the level of crappiness they cannot exceed. Therefore, the existence of crappy instruction without widespread stansards violations is prima facie evidence that the standards are NOT adequate.

Diverbrian makes the point that his military experience taught him that the best instructor isn't the one who gives the student/customer what he wants. People in the military put up with mean but thorough instructors because they
don't have a choice. Again, most people will not accept instruction that doesn't meet their desire for immediate, no effort gratification unless they are forced to by making it a barrier to entry.

Mike Ferrara says "I would never want to compete with PADI for the portion of the market that is suited to their training. I can tell you that most people want a quick ticket to see the reefs and I don't even want them for students. That's a huge part of the reason I closed my shop. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be allowed to do it." Aw, Mike, you're the last person I expected to be so PC. I'll say it - they shouldn't be allowed. If someone whose life is defined by learned helplessness, who is unwilling to learn to take responsibility for themselves, doesn't get to dive, Oh boo hoo. It's NOT the equivalent of mass genocide that hyper-egalitarians make it out to be.

Airraider1 asks "Does someone REALLY need to have all these skills before they are allowed to enjoy the reefs?" The answer is, not as long as you can guarantee that Murphy's Law will take a vacation when they do. Sure, you can tell someone, put this in your mouth, don't hold your breath, and follow me. The rest of it is preparation for dealing with something going wrong. Is that necessary? Let's put it this way - a seatbelt is useless if you never crash.

By the way, Airraider1, I could maintain neutral buoyancy when first certified, and so could everyone in my class of 20+ people, because we had to practice so much in the course. Yes, I had the skills I advocate before being OW certified, and my OW course was FUN, not burdensome. People often balk at being required to do something to get what they want, then, once they're actually doing it, wonder what they were so put off about. The problem is, the decision is made BEFORE they've been able to experience it and realize it's not an ordeal, so you have to make a pretty big reward contingent on them making the effort.

Biscuit7 spoke of flight school - flight schools can be more rigorous because they have the FAA standing behind them, with the full power of the federal government, ready to play the bad cop and throw your hide in jail if you fly without meeting the requirements. What does a SCUBA agency have? Maybe 20% of the charter operators will bar you from maybe 20% of their dive sites, and not even that if you know how to fling the cattle feces fluently. Bottom line, if you want to raise the bar, any bar, you have to have a big carrot and a big stick, and virtual monopolistic control of that carrot and stick, meaning another entity won't offer the same access for less effort. The trend to dumb down training will continue until a tipping point is reached where there's a spike in fatalities, forcing the govt. to step in. There was a time when driving a car or flying a plane was unregulated, but there's nothing good in this world that can't be ruined by being 'discovered' by the mainstream.

Yeah, that's a bleak outlook. You want optimism, go watch Barney.

MikeFerrara:
Mike Ferrara says "I would never want to compete with PADI for the portion of the market that is suited to their training. I can tell you that most people want a quick ticket to see the reefs and I don't even want them for students. That's a huge part of the reason I closed my shop. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be allowed to do it." Aw, Mike, you're the last person I expected to be so PC.

dweeb:
I'll say it - they shouldn't be allowed. If someone whose life is defined by learned helplessness, who is unwilling to learn to take responsibility for themselves, doesn't get to dive, Oh boo hoo. It's NOT the equivalent of mass genocide that hyper-egalitarians make it out to be.

Well, ok. They shouldn't be allowed to dive where they can hurt anything that others might want to see and they shouldn't be allowed to mess up our vis or ruin our dive by putting use in a situation where we might have to pull them out but they have a right to do what they want otherwise.

A new diver doesn't know what they don't know. They go into a shop and buy a class in good faith. They may be willing to go for the cheapest but the agency sanctions it so it should all be valid to the untrained eye. This is wrong. When people are led to believe they are being taught to dive and they're taught pure useless BS under false pretenses it's wrong.

But then again just read the board. See how many defend these practices and make excuses. If I had a nickle for everytime we approached a silt cloud only to find a couple of divers vertical either standing or with their fins in the silt kicking to stay up while they stare at their gauges or have a frantic looking sign language conversation, I'd be wealthy. Usually they don't see us because they're so busy surviving but now we get their attention and ask them to get out of the bottom and point out the mess they made. They will crawl along the bottom right past a couple hovering horizontal and motionless and not even notice the difference as they blow the joint out in a sickening cloud of silt.

All we can do is offer it to those who want it. We can offer good classes. We can give free help here and we can dive with newer divers to help and set an example. You can lead them to water but if they refuse to drink you can't suck it up for them.

There is a dfference between diving and breathing underwater.

I smell a slogan somewhere in here.... :D

Genesis:
Do you think that the implied threat of the "video evidence" being there for posterity if there was an incident (and the impact it would have on your insurance) is enough? Or is more needed?

This assumes that the actual measurable standards are tough enough to begin with, of course.
Video would be a great teaching tool and yes it would or may help in legal battles. Videos or \CD's would cause a major record keeping headache

GDI:
Video would be a great teaching tool and yes it would or may help in legal battles. Videos or \CD's would cause a major record keeping headache

Not really. You have to keep your student folders around for 7 years as it stands. Now there's a disk in the folder. Why is this significant as a problem?

samsp:
The course outlined in this thread is a great course, its a thourough course and is probably what is needed for a Real open water certification. But you also have to look at economics. What PADI has done (for better or worse is debatable) is created an OW certification that is sufficient to get people into the water and diving. The problem though is that at the end, most students probably have sufficient knowlege to be able to go down safely on dives with an instructor/Dive master. If however there are problems, they are not going to have the experience/knowlege to solve them. I don't think its sufficient to be able to walk into a dive shop, buy all the equipment, get some tanks filled and drop to 60'.

I think we need the courses that are the current OW standard, as they provide a basic set of skills, within an attainable time/budget. You can go on a weeks vacation, spend 4 days of it taking the course and get a diving experience. That is what is really needed to know if you like diving / can handle it / want to do more.

What needs to change is the expectation as to what you can do with the certification you have recieved. I think the basic OW (as its currently taught/specified) should not be considered sufficient to go off diving with a (similarly trained) buddy. There should be more restructions as to diving with somebody better trained, either as a buddy or as a group, say six max, with an instructor. This would then meet the needs of resort divers who want to be able to dive on their vacations without having to go through the time in the classroom each vacation.

So that would mean that there would need to be more rigerous standards for "unsupervised" divers. The course outlined in this thread would meet that need. Its kind of what the AOW should be. The AOW may be that, but wasn't where I was taught. It sounds like this is somewhat happening in that some boats are requiring AOW/Nitrox to go diving. It could be policed that way, and also by the filling centers requiring more certification to get a tank filled.

Another requirement could be to have a temperature aspect to the certification. If you certify in warm water, the C card would specify that, and you would again have restrictions based on that. A new cert could be gained by taking a course in the appropriate waters, this could be offered by the LDS for somebody who learned in warm waters. This would be similar to driving licenses in the UK, if you take the test in an automatic, you license is endorsed as such and its illegal to drive a stick (manual transmission).

I think this scheme would work for both the resorts and the LDS. The resorts could get people diving, and have something to show for it, but it would also not be giving away the keys to the castle. The LDS that offers a longer, more thorough course can grant the higher certification. They can also do it in stages so that customers are not put off by sticker/commitment cost. It would also mean that instructors would have additional customers for supervised dives. Divers who want to learn more would have a path to follow, and get some good education/experience. The additional training could cover more theory as well, and therefore more class time - for example how to plan dives, how a reg works etc. The existing referral mechanism could be extended for this kind of course, so resort divers who live in colder areas could do the bookwork with the LDS and the dives in the Bahamas, and have the warm water cert. If they then want to dive locally, they could take the cold water conversion.

The only problem would be how to introduce this into the existing mix. One way would be to grandfather in a test for the new Advanced certification that could be taken by existing divers to prove their attainment of that level. The new level could be introduced, and divers given a year to take the test before the new restrictions apply.
You've got some good points here. Some agencies already have such statements on their cert cards like depth limits, fresh water vs salt water. SDI and TDI are an example of this

I admit to be one of the folks on the board that "justifys" the resort 3-day wonder certifications. Because I believe that they will always exist because they:
-- allowfolks to learn enough to enjoy warm shallow water diving while on vacation.
-- at a price that is affordable
-- this keeps enough folks entering the "sport" to make it a viable -- if not thriving internationally industry.

Personally I think that AOW is the cert that is broken. I am one of the folks that thought that I could dive after I received my OW. So after receiving my OW Cert in a 3 day class in hawaii I wanted to dive locally back in California. I am the first to admit that my training did not prepare me for cold water, low visability Kelp dives in Northern California wearing a 7mm wetsuit -- My bouyancy and buddy awareness skills sucked -- probably still suck, but they are slowly improving.

So now I am looking for additional classes. However I am extremely frustrated with what is available next (AOW). What I would like is a class that would teach me to dive better and I don't believe that AOW or any other class -- with the possible exception of DIR-F -- will do that.

My recommendation is to stop trying to design a better OW class, and instead try to design a better AOW course that could be taught to the millions of certified OW divers that are afraid to dive because they know that they really are not qualified to dive unaccompanied. Because I promise you they are out there (I know quite a few people that fit this category). I refuse to take a local OW class because I don't believe that they would teach me what I need. I have considered hiring DMs to accompany me and teach me (seajay had a few choice words about DMs on that post LOL).

So I sit here and read everything I can, I practice in a pool, and I dive easy shallow (30-40fsw) dives while I gain comfort and improve my skills -- and seriously consider ebaying my back inflate BC and 7mm, buying a BP/W and drysuit and enrolling in DIR-F.

Please don't give up on all of us bottom crawlers, some of us would really like to hover, but no one but GUE really offers that class, and I am not sure if I like koolaid that much :headscrat (actually MHK OR ScubaCowboy, you may be seeing me soon)

RJ

rjens:
I admit to be one of the folks on the board that "justifys" the resort 3-day wonder certifications. Because I believe that they will always exist because they:
-- allowfolks to learn enough to enjoy warm shallow water diving while on vacation.
-- at a price that is affordable
-- this keeps enough folks entering the "sport" to make it a viable -- if not thriving internationally industry.

Agreed. This is what got me into diving. What is missing from the OW course/certification is understanding that it is a base-line, and a shaky one at that.

rjens:
Personally I think that AOW is the cert that is broken. I am one of the folks that thought that I could dive after I received my OW. So after receiving my OW Cert in a 3 day class in hawaii I wanted to dive locally back in California. I am the first to admit that my training did not prepare me for cold water, low visability Kelp dives in Northern California wearing a 7mm wetsuit -- My bouyancy and buddy awareness skills sucked -- probably still suck, but they are slowly improving.

So now I am looking for additional classes. However I am extremely frustrated with what is available next (AOW). What I would like is a class that would teach me to dive better and I don't believe that AOW or any other class -- with the possible exception of DIR-F -- will do that.

My recommendation is to stop trying to design a better OW class, and instead try to design a better AOW course that could be taught to the millions of certified OW divers that are afraid to dive because they know that they really are not qualified to dive unaccompanied. Because I promise you they are out there (I know quite a few people that fit this category). I refuse to take a local OW class because I don't believe that they would teach me what I need. I have considered hiring DMs to accompany me and teach me (seajay had a few choice words about DMs on that post LOL).

I took the AOW thinking it would help, it did, but all it really gave was some experience on different dive types. The academic part of the course was "go read this book, fill out the questionnaire". I don't feel I know enough about how to plan a dive, particularly a multi-level dive that people tend to do. I was taught with the padi tables, which are for a |_| shaped profile. The instructor dismissed the wheel as too complex, and liable to warp, and most divers now use a computer.

Boyancy control was not taught either. Getting the weighting right is a start, but one of the students still was like a YoYo. The schools approach was to strap a uwatec to everyones wrist so they could listen for the ascent rate alarms :cut:

A more througough AOW, with more detailed, longer, modules would be a good way to go.

rjens:
So I sit here and read everything I can, I practice in a pool, and I dive easy shallow (30-40fsw) dives while I gain comfort and improve my skills -- and seriously consider ebaying my back inflate BC and 7mm, buying a BP/W and drysuit and enrolling in DIR-F.

Please don't give up on all of us bottom crawlers, some of us would really like to hover, but no one but GUE really offers that class, and I am not sure if I like koolaid that much :headscrat (actually MHK OR ScubaCowboy, you may be seeing me soon)

DIR seems very much geared to techniques for technical cave diving, with equipment designed for that environment. Is there anything of similar standards but for recreational Open Water diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom