Length of regulator hoses - recreational setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you only going to be diving on holiday (sorry vacation) you might as well use the standard setup.

I get enough comments and questions because I have the alternate source (Octo) from my left.

Yes, definitely considering that as an option.

I would agree that if you are only diving in warm water conditions then the standard set up is fine. If you plan on diving locally in our cold water you may wish to persevere with the Hogarthian setup as freeflows and air sharing are more common.

Five pages of comments on a very simple question about appropriate hose length for second stages for recreational diving, AMAZING!!

Five pages of comments on a very simple question about appropriate hose length for second stages for recreational diving, AMAZING!!
Well, its winter and they sell the hose by the inch!:poke:

Last edited:
I found with them that as long as you turn it so the mouthpiece is down, they don't really come out. They don't work well with some of the floppy mouthpieces or regulators with narrow outlets *old scubapros/aqualungs*, but work really really well with the Apeks/Aqualung mouthpieces and you have to pull on it to get it out

Tom,
How does that work - turning the reg "mouthpiece down"? Doesn't the reg body bump you in the chin? Or if the necklace is long enough that it doesn't, doesn't the weight of the second stage just roll it back to its "mouthpiece facing aft" position?

Tom,
How does that work - turning the reg "mouthpiece down"? Doesn't the reg body bump you in the chin? Or if the necklace is long enough that it doesn't, doesn't the weight of the second stage just roll it back to its "mouthpiece facing aft" position?

the hose connections on mine are stiff enough that they don't roll around on their own. Mouthpiece is down is while you're horizontal vs. vertical so it's mouthpiece facing away from you. If the mouthpiece is pointed towards your feet then it is prone to freeflow from any current depending on how stiff the tuning is

the hose connections on mine are stiff enough that they don't roll around on their own. Mouthpiece is down is while you're horizontal vs. vertical so it's mouthpiece facing away from you. If the mouthpiece is pointed towards your feet then it is prone to freeflow from any current depending on how stiff the tuning is
Ah! Got it. Thanks tbone - makes sense.

Just teasing you...this should have almost zero effect on weighting
:poke::hugs:

According to Alec Peirce, merely changing from rubber coated hoses to flex hoses will save you about 1.5 lbs, and that's for a standard rec diving length hose setup:

At 8:15:

According to Alec Peirce, merely changing from rubber coated hoses to flex hoses will save you about 1.5 lbs, and that's for a standard rec diving length hose setup:
@flyboy08 was talking about buoyancy weighting.
Mr. Peirce is talking about baggage weighting.
Both right.

Back
Top Bottom