Length of regulator hoses - recreational setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to Alec Peirce, merely changing from rubber coated hoses to flex hoses will save you about 1.5 lbs, and that's for a standard rec diving length hose setup:

At 8:15:

And you get the added feature of the interior of the hose crumbling undetected and clogging your 2nd stage orifice! Sounds GREAT!

I just had my first "flex hose" fail. It is >7 years old, and came on a used set I had picked up.....

And you get the added feature of the interior of the hose crumbling undetected and clogging your 2nd stage orifice! Sounds GREAT!
Yeah, Mr. Peirce said in his video that the flex hoses have the same looking as the rubber ones, just coated differently on the outside. Not true. He's a great personality, and hits the notes, for the most part, but I'm not sure he's as current as he used to be. Maybe I'm wrong.
@PfcAJ , you remember where that picture is, that showed the crumbling stuff? I can't find it.

Yeah, Mr. Peirce said in his video that the flex hoses have the same looking as the rubber ones, just coated differently on the outside. Not true. He's a great personality, and hits the notes, for the most part, but I'm not sure he's as current as he used to be. Maybe I'm wrong.
@PfcAJ , you remember where that picture is, that showed the crumbling stuff? I can't find it.
Alert Diver | Invisible Crystals

Thanks! I bought a long hose brush for that very reason, shortly after that appeared. Every year or so, I'm going to see what sprinkles out of my (few) flex hoses.
Not to bash the Chinese, but I wonder how many of those are with cheapo versions with who knows what polymer inside?
Anyway, time will tell. Now that I've got my brush, I'm not really concerned. As with everything, preventive maintenance usually keeps you out of mechanical trouble.

I had several unused bc inflation hoses of the braided material. I hooked one up one day and got a leak in the middle of the hose. Grabbed another new but unused hose that was stored for a few years. As soon as I bent the hose it started.

I cut two of the hoses in half and the inside clear
Plastic liner was crumbling, soft and cracking everywhere. Threw all the similar new hoses out immediately.

Not wanting to dispute the evidence, but to add some balance and context. I use braided hoses here in the Middle East where the temps are really extreme.

Granted I change all my hoses every 18 -24 months, but that's mainly because of the harsh environment, particularly UV.

I check mine occasionally and cut them open on change. No issues in 6 yrs 600 dives with them.

Last edited:
@Dogbowl

My preference for my OW kit is 40" hoses on both my primary and my secondary. My secondary is on a silicone bungee and it never comes off by accident, even in turbulent and high current conditions.

My Secondary comes from the left, because it's more comfortable for the recipient of an air share that way , and for me without having to twist or have a hose across me. I've shared air numerous times to customers while I'm guiding.

Both my regs have a 90 degree swivel which works well. I keep the primary at 40@ because I find it more comfortable than the standard size and in-case that one becomes the donor reg.

Yikes, that's definitely something to keep in mind. Thank you for sharing that

Thanks! I bought a long hose brush for that very reason, shortly after that appeared. Every year or so, I'm going to see what sprinkles out of my (few) flex hoses.

Do you have a link for that long hose brush?

More on topic question:

I see a lot of people recommending the 40" primary and 22" secondary for rec diving when using a necklace. I haven't tried this exact configuration yet, but am I correct to assume that the secondary would come over the shoulder to the necklace, while the 40" primary would run under the arm pit, and not be wrapped around the neck?

I'm currently running my secondary hose under the arm pit to my necklace (its about 30"), and my long hose goes over the shoulder and wraps around my neck once. This is a pretty comfy setup, and keeps all my hoses fairly tight against my body, but I'm about to replace my hoses, and wondering if I would be better off switching to the above mentioned config, and what the advantages would be over what I'm currently doing.

Lastly: what hose length is usually recommended for the HP SPG? I currently have a 34" hose that is clipped to my left hip D-ring. I like that I can read it without needing to unclip, but I think I could shorten it probably to 26". Thoughts?

Yikes, that's definitely something to keep in mind. Thank you for sharing that

Do you have a link for that long hose brush?

More on topic question:

I see a lot of people recommending the 40" primary and 22" secondary for rec diving when using a necklace. I haven't tried this exact configuration yet, but am I correct to assume that the secondary would come over the shoulder to the necklace, while the 40" primary would run under the arm pit, and not be wrapped around the neck?

I'm currently running my secondary hose under the arm pit to my necklace (its about 30"), and my long hose goes over the shoulder and wraps around my neck once. This is a pretty comfy setup, and keeps all my hoses fairly tight against my body, but I'm about to replace my hoses, and wondering if I would be better off switching to the above mentioned config, and what the advantages would be over what I'm currently doing.

Lastly: what hose length is usually recommended for the HP SPG? I currently have a 34" hose that is clipped to my left hip D-ring. I like that I can read it without needing to unclip, but I think I could shorten it probably to 26". Thoughts?
If you have to donate in that congif I think youll find that the hose wrapped around your neck will get in the way of the bungeed backup.

22-24" HP hose, unclip to read.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom