Length of regulator hoses - recreational setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have to donate in that congif I think youll find that the hose wrapped around your neck will get in the way of the bungeed backup.

Not at all, perhaps you misunderstood my current setup...it's primary donate, and my primary currently is routed over my shoulder and around the neck once. If I merely grab the reg from my mouth and slightly tilt my head down, it comes over my head with no obstructions.

My octopus is routed underneath my armpit, and is plugged into the lower LP port of my first stage, so the hose never even touches my primary hose when I donate.

I came to this config merely out of convenience because I wanted to try the primary donate/necklace octopus method and was making the best of my existing factory regulator hoses -- so I simply swapped the primary/secondary hoses from the factory config (so that the longer hose went onto primary instead of octopus), and then also swapping the first stage ports that they are plugged into, so that octopus comes out of the lower port on my first stage.

Now I'm considering buying new hoses, so I'm re-evaluating my setup...I could either tweak the lengths using my current routing, or I could try a different routing system, so that's why I was asking how they are normally routed using the 22"/40" lengths

Last edited:
@Dogbowl try taking the secondary off before you pull your mask down, or use one of the silicone necklaces where the reg pops out when you tug on it. I would in this case put a bolt snap on the secondary so it doesn't flop around and get broken.
Going to a recreational setup won't really change your situation that much and may cause more problems with regulators dangling everywhere and does it really make sense to go to a less than ideal setup for the "in-water" portion where it is a safety concern to accommodate something at the surface?
You can easily get your rig "prepped" while you are on your safety stop or ascent. With the 40"/silicone necklace, you get to the safety stop, clip off your primary, and then are breathing from the secondary for your ascent. When on the surface, you shed the rig like you have been, clip off the secondary after you get out of it, and you're good to go. Rig is consolidated so nothing will grab or get banged around, you maintain the ideal primary donate setup for the actual dive portion, and all is well.

Side note, is there a physical reason why you can't climb the rig up the ladder, or is it a convenience thing? If it's a physical reason, I get it, but if it's a convenience thing, not all dive ops will do that for you, so it may be worth getting used to carrying it up the ladder and then you won't have to worry about it

This is one example, but most dive shops have them.
Sea Elite Necklace Octo Holder
100% agree. Especially the point about going to a less ideal setup for in water safety just to accommodate a minor thing on the surface.

According to Alec Peirce, merely changing from rubber coated hoses to flex hoses will save you about 1.5 lbs, and that's for a standard rec diving length hose setup:

At 8:15:
I’m sure he means well but don’t just blindly follow what he says about everything.

Standard rubber hoses are far safer and in general better than flex and I used to use all flex

A silly observation as I am new to this alternate hose routing stuff.

I have once in my life witnessed a diver with a hose wrapped around their neck. My industrial accident background screamed out Nooooo and I had to resist the urge to pull on his hose and choke him to death.

Every tried getting on a ski lift with a scarf?

Things wrapped around your neck are a chocking accident waiting to happen.

What do I not understand?

A silly observation as I am new to this alternate hose routing stuff.

I have once in my life witnessed a diver with a hose wrapped around their neck. My industrial accident background screamed out Nooooo and I had to resist the urge to pull on his hose and choke him to death.

Every tried getting on a ski lift with a scarf?

Things wrapped around your neck are a chocking accident waiting to happen.

What do I not understand?

I assume you are talking about the DIR hog loop. That loop only goes 3/4 around your neck. To get it to choke you would require one helluva bad stroke of luck. If the front of the hose gets pulled it pulls your neck down and to the side which usually pulls the reg out of your mouth. If by some miracle it gets you from behind, again it's going to pull the hose out of your mouth, same with either side. It is secured behind your head and in your mouth. It doesn't wrap on itself at any point or clip to any point while it's in your mouth and because it doesn't do a full circle around you there isn't really any way it can choke you since your mouth will give long before anything else

I assume you are talking about the DIR hog loop. That loop only goes 3/4 around your neck. To get it to choke you would require one helluva bad stroke of luck. If the front of the hose gets pulled it pulls your neck down and to the side which usually pulls the reg out of your mouth. If by some miracle it gets you from behind, again it's going to pull the hose out of your mouth, same with either side. It is secured behind your head and in your mouth. It doesn't wrap on itself at any point or clip to any point while it's in your mouth and because it doesn't do a full circle around you there isn't really any way it can choke you since your mouth will give long before anything else
The one I saw was completely looped around the divers neck. I now assume they were doing it wrong?

The one I saw was completely looped around the divers neck. I now assume they were doing it wrong?

yes. More info here
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/singles-regulator.html

but it is supposed to look like this. If you look, the only way it could strangle you is if someone took the reg out of your mouth first then you twisted the wrong way. Pulling on any part of the hose just rips the reg out of your mouth

39be37677c7f9e014b2bd3b96e92186c?AccessKeyId=F8E9CED369DBB0C87419&disposition=0&alloworigin=1.jpg

I saw a dude just a few weeks ago on a charter that had a longhose wrapped multiple times around his neck.

...bruh...
How strong was the urge to give his reg a yank?

For everyday rec diving I've found a 40 inch primary hose routed under my arm and setup with an elbow to be very comfortable. The backup reg is on a 22 inch hose held in place by a bungee necklace.

I use different length hoses for the inflator and SPG than shown in the video linked below, but the reg setup is pretty much the same.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom