Length of regulator hoses - recreational setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is one example, but most dive shops have them.
Sea Elite Necklace Octo Holder

A piece of bungee cord with the ends tied with a fisherman's knot to form an adjustable loop to hold the mouthpiece serves the same purpose.

IMG_0426.JPG

rectotec: HOW TO: TIE A REGULATOR NECKLACE

A piece of bungee cord with the ends tied with a fisherman's knot to form an adjustable loop to hold the mouthpiece serves the same purpose.

that's what we teach our students to make, but it's not as easy to get the regulator in and out of while bobbing at the surface vs. the silicone necklaces. I use that style of bungee suicide strap though, but they don't "pop out" of it without pulling the knots open.

@Dogbowl rowing machine and stair master.... when you get good, start wearing your weight belt or a weight harness on the stair master.

I have and been using the bungee cord tied at both ends. It requires both hands to remove. There’s more chance that the Octo can pop off the silicone with one pull, and clipped onto a d-ring. And therefore more convenient for my needs, as discussed above.

that's what we teach our students to make, but it's not as easy to get the regulator in and out of while bobbing at the surface vs. the silicone necklaces. I use that style of bungee suicide strap though, but they don't "pop out" of it without pulling the knots open.

That's a problem with the knots tied in bungee. In elastic bungee a simple overhand knot will roll and unravel.

If you look at that blog you will see he uses clove hitches on each end. And you need to leave a decent bight on each end for the knot to roll a little before it settles.

I tried a silicone one but found the regs would pop out when you didn't want them too.

That's a problem with the knots tied in bungee. In elastic bungee a simple overhand knot will roll and unravel.

If you look at that blog you will see he uses clove hitches on each end. And you need to leave a decent bight on each end for the knot to roll a little before it settles.

we use double fishermans knots that slide, I have one that probably has 500 dives on it and the knots haven't come loose and I take it on and off every day. When I said "pulling the knots open" I think that was probably worded poorly. It is more sliding the knots back so the hole opens up enough to remove the mouthpiece.

@grf88 if you have a bolt snap on it, you can clip the bolt snap to the necklace, but I found with them that as long as you turn it so the mouthpiece is down, they don't really come out. They don't work well with some of the floppy mouthpieces or regulators with narrow outlets *old scubapros/aqualungs*, but work really really well with the Apeks/Aqualung mouthpieces and you have to pull on it to get it out

@tbone1004 Gotta put myself on a weight lifting regimen in the new year. Thoughts on what exercises to do there is also appreciated!
Squats with free weights help with walking up the ladder. I think weighted dips would help with pulling up into a mini boat, but not sure.

Squats with free weights help with walking up the ladder. I think weighted dips would help with pulling up into a mini boat, but not sure.

Yes! Much appreciated! My thigh muscles are so weak that I’ve fallen over twice carrying my single tank rig...once walking to the open water, another time down concrete steps at a cenote. Legs just gave out from under me, and I’m not even that old! Grey haired senior divers came to my rescue lol! Totally embarrassing.

Back
Top Bottom