Length of regulator hoses - recreational setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not standard but I use a 40" and bungeed backup, I would probably change the backup to a 32" in the "triangle" to avoid the issues you are having. I have bolt snaps on my second so I can clip it off to avoid the dragging around issues.

You can change your reg configuration depending on the dive plan, so save the hoses in your dive locker for the next time you need them.

Bob

lengths should be identical. The difference is where the hoses are going and coming from.
Option 1 is "traditional" with the hoses going straight out of the sides. This isn't really ideal for the long hose or the HP hose.
Option 2 is similar to what we use on the left post of doubles where the HP hose goes down and the octo comes straight out of the bottom port. Much more streamlined and the hoses are pretty much all going in the direction that they need to be

Option 3 which is also worth looking at has the 40" hose on the bottom port and the first stage canted over at 45* and how many run the 7' hose.

Personal preference, but I use option 2

he was kidding about the hoses and buoyancy btw

I will have to “study” this...but ok, thanks! I’m not very DIY or mechanically minded, but try hard to compensate! :p

Hi @Dogbowl

My newer single tank setup has the primary on a 40 inch hose with an omniswivel running under my right arm and the backup on a 22 inch hose bungeed around my neck. I only have about 80 dives on it and have not yet passed final judgement vs. my very old setup with a standard configuration. The primary does have to be clipped off to avoid it dangling and being knocked around. I keep my regulator in my mouth until I am on the boat and clip it off just before or just after I sit down. I generally do not clip off the backup but like the suggestion made by @tbone1004 and will give it a try. The 40 inch primary occasionally seems to pull my regulator a bit to the right, fixed by giving a little pull on the hose. I never notice this with my old setup. I generally do not take off my BC in the water, but did before boarding the skiff on a two week liveaboard on the Red Sea. The 40 inch primary and bungeed 2nd would be a little more work in that circumstance than the standard configuration.

@scubadada with the omniswivel you can adjust the ball to whatever angle you want which should help. I just don't like the 40" hose because it aggravates my TMJ after 2 ish hours so I use a 7' hose in all diving now unless I'm diving my double hose or CCR

@Dogbowl this is option 3, albeit with a secondary hose that is too long, but it is good enough for demonstration

22829117_10159466553410134_1082948765032450816_o.jpg

@scubadada with the omniswivel you can adjust the ball to whatever angle you want which should help. I just don't like the 40" hose because it aggravates my TMJ after 2 ish hours so I use a 7' hose in all diving now...

Thanks @tbone1004. I also tried a 90* and a 70/110* before I settled on the omniswivel, which is easily the most comfortable with the infinitely adjustable angle. I think it is just that the hose pulls a little bit down and to the right. I generally notice it a more after 3 or 4 hours of diving. My wife and I just returned from a trip to Bonaire where I dived that long every day for 10 days. I will probably try a 5' and a 7' hose when I get the chance.

@scubadada that's probably just the weight of the hose/swivel/regulator and any current or drag from kicking. Unfortunately no real way to combat it and that is the reason I use a long hose whenever possible.
Since @Dogbowl is taking gear off in the water though, it appears that the comfort in the water is going to be negated by the convenience at the surface and the 5' & 7' hose is certainly VERY inconvenient for that type of exit

I think you just need to refine your doffing procedure.

Pop the backup in your mouth, coil up the long hose and clip it off, slip the bungee off your noggin, remove the backplate.

The long hose shouldn’t have the opportunity to ever get hung up or drag on the deck. It’s either in your mouth or clipped off.

Changing your gear is much easier than changing your habits. But I think changing your habits will have better value in the long run.

I think you just need to refine your doffing procedure.

Pop the backup in your mouth, coil up the long hose and clip it off, slip the bungee off your noggin, remove the backplate.

The long hose shouldn’t have the opportunity to ever get hung up or drag on the deck. It’s either in your mouth or clipped off.

Changing your gear is much easier than changing your habits. But I think changing your habits will have better value in the long run.

what is your method of coiling and stowing the long hose? agree with your statement, just never seen a good way to keep it controlled without tying things in knots

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom