Length of regulator hoses - recreational setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coil it, shove the 2nd stage into the coil so it makes kinda an overhand knot, clip off.

fair enough and that's what I do on the surface if I'm moving my gear around assembled, just never really thought it was a great solution. I just try to avoid taking it off in the water to begin with....

fair enough and that's what I do on the surface if I'm moving my gear around assembled, just never really thought it was a great solution. I just try to avoid taking it off in the water to begin with....
Yeah I’d rather not either but sometimes you’ve gotta do what you’ve gotta do.

For my recreational rig, I use a 40" hose for primary with bolt-snap at second stage (on a 110 elbow) to clip to BC D right shoulder strap when not in use and a 24/22" hose for backup on a necklace. I donate the primary to an OOA buddy and I use the back up ss. BOTH stages are the same top of the line second's.

If your long hose is looped under a canister or cutting device it should not be swept over your head. If you are having to take your gear off in the water maybe use your safety stop to stow your long hose and remove the bungee from your neck in preparation for removal of your gear at the surface. It is a good time to check your backup anyway.

We just came back from a week of diving in Cozumel and was using the 7' long hose configuration with bungeed safe second on a 22" hose. Having now experienced this configuration, we don't prefer this setup for ocean diving mainly because of the following:

Typical recreational setup like used in almost all PADI OWD classes is a 30" hose on the primary reg, 40" hose on a stowed secondary reg, secondary donate method for OOA, no bungee on the neck, no boltsnaps on regs. What other constraints do you have? Did you get taught primary donate for OOA and want to stick with it (nothing wrong with that), or are you flexible in this regard?

If your long hose is looped under a canister or cutting device it should not be swept over your head. If you are having to take your gear off in the water maybe use your safety stop to stow your long hose and remove the bungee from your neck in preparation for removal of your gear at the surface. It is a good time to check your backup anyway.

I think long hose with bungeed octopus is inconvenient for boat diving if I need to remove my rig in the water.

I actually had to modify my original setup because the bungeed necklace simply will not work. Instead of placing the octopus on a necklace around my neck, I bought a regulator holder and attached my octopus to a d-ring. The reason is, when I surface, I will remove my mask and slide it down to my neck. I do not put it on my forehead “distress” style or backwards for fear of the waves knocking it off. With my mask on my neck there’s no easy way to remove my necklace. I was not able to think of a reasonable workaround for this so I used the octopus “recreational style” and thought I could still use the 7’ hose. But in reality, it really is somewhat a PITA in this situation.

Typical recreational setup like used in almost all PADI OWD classes is a 30" hose on the primary reg, 40" hose on a stowed secondary reg, secondary donate method for OOA, no bungee on the neck, no boltsnaps on regs. What other constraints do you have? Did you get taught primary donate for OOA and want to stick with it (nothing wrong with that), or are you flexible in this regard?

I’m flexible and would prefer to use an ideal setup for the diving conditions. I simply don’t think that long hose/bungeed Octo is “ideal” in my case, where I remove my rig in the water and hand it off to the captain to haul onto the boat. Sure, there are workarounds but why not just switch hoses if recreational or shorter hoses without the necklace would be more ideal?

@Dogbowl try taking the secondary off before you pull your mask down, or use one of the silicone necklaces where the reg pops out when you tug on it. I would in this case put a bolt snap on the secondary so it doesn't flop around and get broken.
Going to a recreational setup won't really change your situation that much and may cause more problems with regulators dangling everywhere and does it really make sense to go to a less than ideal setup for the "in-water" portion where it is a safety concern to accommodate something at the surface?
You can easily get your rig "prepped" while you are on your safety stop or ascent. With the 40"/silicone necklace, you get to the safety stop, clip off your primary, and then are breathing from the secondary for your ascent. When on the surface, you shed the rig like you have been, clip off the secondary after you get out of it, and you're good to go. Rig is consolidated so nothing will grab or get banged around, you maintain the ideal primary donate setup for the actual dive portion, and all is well.

Side note, is there a physical reason why you can't climb the rig up the ladder, or is it a convenience thing? If it's a physical reason, I get it, but if it's a convenience thing, not all dive ops will do that for you, so it may be worth getting used to carrying it up the ladder and then you won't have to worry about it

This is one example, but most dive shops have them.
Sea Elite Necklace Octo Holder

@Dogbowl try taking the secondary off before you pull your mask down, or use one of the silicone necklaces where the reg pops out when you tug on it. I would in this case put a bolt snap on the secondary so it doesn't flop around and get broken.
Going to a recreational setup won't really change your situation that much and may cause more problems with regulators dangling everywhere and does it really make sense to go to a less than ideal setup for the "in-water" portion where it is a safety concern to accommodate something at the surface?
You can easily get your rig "prepped" while you are on your safety stop or ascent. With the 40"/silicone necklace, you get to the safety stop, clip off your primary, and then are breathing from the secondary for your ascent. When on the surface, you shed the rig like you have been, clip off the secondary after you get out of it, and you're good to go. Rig is consolidated so nothing will grab or get banged around, you maintain the ideal primary donate setup for the actual dive portion, and all is well.

Side note, is there a physical reason why you can't climb the rig up the ladder, or is it a convenience thing? If it's a physical reason, I get it, but if it's a convenience thing, not all dive ops will do that for you, so it may be worth getting used to carrying it up the ladder and then you won't have to worry about it

This is one example, but most dive shops have them.
Sea Elite Necklace Octo Holder

@tbone1004 , that silicone necklace may actually work. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I will give that a try. I like that idea.

Currently, it’s a physical reason why I can’t go up the ladder. I’m just not strong enough to go up and over the panga with my gear on, all drenched in water. I lack muscle strength, sitting in an office all day. Gotta put myself on a weight lifting regimen in the new year. Thoughts on what exercises to do there is also appreciated!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom