leisurepro worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsm

Reaction score
So, is it worth it to save the money (about $2700 in my case) and buy from someone like leisurepro? Or is it better to go with the lds?

I like the dive shop and the people there, but we are talking about saving a huge amount of money.

Any comments?

Jon

I'd go the Lesiure Pro route and save a bundle. I did. You can always find a shop that will be helpful with gear even if you didn't purchase it from them.

I have had excellant luck with Leisure Pro and refuse to pay 40-50% MORE for my gear than I need to!

DiveInn and Leisure Pro have done good things for many on this message board!

Good luck!

I don't own a dive shop.
I do teach for one, how ever.

So why should you buy from a dive shop?

1) Is the mail order company going to supply you with air?
Most dive shops bairly cover the cost of the compressor, electricity and filter cartridges with the air fill price.

2) Is the mail order company going to handle your warranty or service requirements, when your gear need maintenance.
Most mail order companies only offer the manufacturers warranty, which means "you" have to ship it back to the manufacturer.

3) When it's time for a visual, or hydrostatic test on you tank, is the mail order company going to provide that service.

So is it in your best interest to keep your locak dive shop in business?

Mike D

:blfish:

Anyone who says money can't buy happiness,
clearly has no idea where to shop!

Raise fill prices by a dollar, and once a year I'll stop by and hand you a check for 50% of the amount of money I saved by not patronizing your shop.

I'll still save up to 30% off your prices, and you'll probably make more money to boot!

Just put up a sign in the store that says "Go buy things online, and let us know where we can send you bills to help with the rent here. Save Save Save!"

There will always be a place to get a tank fill, even if I have to buy a compresser and sell fills out of my back yard.

It is never the consumer's problem if a business is failing.

There has been long discussions about this. So far, I went to LeisurePro three time (I live close by :) ) and all experiences were very possitive.

If I can pay $200 instead of $450, I will go and buy from them. It is the same equipment at the end. All of the stuff I got was brand new and very good. I'm new with diving and I hate to see that all prices are very tightly controlled by manufacturers and we end up paying extra extra money to get it.

so in summary, if I can get it online, I will....

You need to buy at your lsd as much as possible. With out them you have no service or air.
If the cant make money they will go out of business and you will loose the service too. If all you can afford is to mail order, then be careful and use common scene. Scott:eek:

Good luck getting warrenty on some items from Leisure Pro. Just check out Dive Rite's web site, they clearly state that Leisure Pro not only is not an authorized dealer, and that items purchased from them will not be warrentied. Further to that, Leisure Pro used catalogue images of Dive Rite's product without the knowledge or permission of Dive Rite. Do you really want to deal with them, and other so called "online dealers" who run their business that way?

Two words come to mind, Buyer Beware!

It's a free world, you are free to make your own purchasing choices, just understand all that comes with making those choices.

pt40fathoms is right on target. Just because it says it has the product line doesn't mean that LeisurePro or any on-line dealer has official authorization to sell/service the merchandise. {See:www.diverite.com/dealers/start/warning.htm}

Some items that are not life-saving/protecting can be purchased on-line from these stores (although I'd never use DiversDiscount.com ever again; their "no-hassle" return is just the opposite) but knock-offs, "special purchases", whatever synonym you choose may not be worth the so-called savings when trying to get proper service or warranty coverage.

Again, if the LDS goes out of business, where are potential AND established divers going to go for instruction, advice, trials of materials? In my area, there are only 2 or 3 shops in a 30-50 mile radius: if one or two or all go under (let's face it: their margins are tight, and they can't compete against the "Walmarts" of the on-line world on price alone) then we are all screwed, and sometime in the future, we may all pay more just because there is less competition, camaraderie and support.

BTW, I don't work for a dive store, I've purchased new and used equipment recently from our local LDS via a rent-to-own program with NO interest and NO extra charges. Could I have saved a couple hundred bucks from LP or DiveInn? Probably. Would they let me use different regs/computers, BCs, wetsuits, etc. prior to purchase? HAH HAH HAH HAH HAHHHHHH!!!!

Thank you local dive store owner.

Pay for service... you'll still save in the long run, and end up giving your LDS some business.

Hydros and Visual inspections? So long as there are fire departments, these necessary services will be provided, even if it isn't at a dive shop.

No one sells air? Please... if there wasn't any place to pay for an air fill, you'd be a fool NOT to buy a compressor. If you only did 10 $5 fills a week, it would pay for itself in the first year.

Don't get me wrong, I do quite a bit of business with several shops in the area. I just don't think it's my responsibility to buy from them if there are greater benefits to not.

I've gone in with unwarranteed regulators on numerous occassions, and been more than happy to pay $50 for a tuneup and replacement parts for a first stage and two seconds. I need the warrantee more than hundreds of dollars because of what exactly?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom