learning english - deep 6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joebar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi
To improve my english I am participating an online service that gives me every day some english words to guess the meaning.
Todays word was "deep 6". As a member of this board my fist guess was it has do do something with water (Deep 6 outfitters). To my surprice it was to reject something. For me it has a negative meaning and I wonder if a company chooses a name with a negative aspect.

Am I completly wrong or has Deep 6 other meanings?

Native English speaker here and I had to google it find out what it typically means... :wink:

About Us

From that page:

" So in effect we were going to “Deep Six” the old model. Plus it’s nautical and that is where our gear does it’s stuff! "

I think it comes from sounding with a lead line. (Sounding refers to determining depth from the surface.) The call "by the deep 6" is a bit more than 36 feet (6 fathoms) or about 11 meters deep.

In slang it can mean to throw overboard, scuttle, or (less nautically) simply reject an idea or throw away an object.

Hi
To improve my english I am participating an online service that gives me every day some english words to guess the meaning.
Todays word was "deep 6". As a member of this board my fist guess was it has do do something with water (Deep 6 outfitters). To my surprice it was to reject something. For me it has a negative meaning and I wonder if a company chooses a name with a negative aspect.

Am I completly wrong or has Deep 6 other meanings?
The number 6 probably refers to a fathom of water which is 6 feet. 'Deep six' is something like saying deep fathoms. To discard overboard was the term's original nautical implication.

@cerich will have to correct me, but I think I remember him referring to the last 6 bunks in the sub in which he served as "Deep 6"
correct

Deep Six, what does our name mean?

“A nautical expression indicating a water depth of 6 fathoms (36 feet, 10.97m) as measured by a sounding line; "deep six" acquired its idiomatic definition from the fact that something thrown overboard at or greater than this depth would be difficult if not impossible to recover. Marks on a sounding line were traditionally placed at 2, 3, 5, 7, 10, 13, 15, 17, and 20 fathoms. The "leadsman" called out the depth as he read it off the line. If the depth was at a mark he would call "by the mark" followed by the number, if the depth was between two marks, he would call "by the deep" followed by the estimated number. Six fathoms would therefore be reported as "by the deep six."

Verb[link]

deep six

1. (idiomatic) To discard, cancel, halt; to completely put an end to something.”
Why did we choose it?

When we decided to create Deep Six we had a vision of a new type of scuba diving brand, one that was responsive and answerable directly to the consumer. We knew this was a radical departure from the norm and to make it work we needed to rethink and reformulate every step of the process from the manufacturer to the consumer. We decided to approach our business completely focused on what the consumer needs from a scuba brand, not what a dive shop, training agency, sales rep or instructor demands. So in effect we were going to “Deep Six” the old model. Plus it’s nautical and that is where our gear does it’s stuff!

Who are we?

Back
Top Bottom