Learn how to Spearfish : Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@BeckyKagan
wrote:

"Hey Guys, I started spearfishing when i lived in Tampa for college! While i worked at my local dive shop for many years i sold lots of spearguns and realized there was no books or video's to teach back then. I produced this educational video with local expert spearfishermen out in the Floria Middle Grounds and it's finally up on Vimeo! I hope it's not rude to post here but maybe you can direct any new spearfishermen to this informational video and learn a lot of great tips and tricks!
Happy Hunting! "

Becky
I think we meet some time ago at DEMA in Florida -You have come a long way and are producing exceptional footage ! So very impressed !
I also think we both agree Elwin Gates makes a superb bullet proof cameras housing

You promote "Spearfishing" using the Mark one bubble machine, this is called by the established spearfishing community as "shooting fish," any darn fool with a bubble machine can "go among them" (to quote John Wayne) Spearfishing is with out the use of breathing apparatus, weather it be a open or closed circuit. The only records recognized as world records MUST be speared by breathe hold diving.

I suspect your target audience judging from the size of fish and the use of bubble machines is the beginning spear fisherman who only abilities require SCUBA...And you have done a heck of a great job creating a great tutorial for the modern bubble blower spear fisherman -- Bravo !

I take exception to your statement "Lots of spearguns and realized there was no books or video's to teach back then."

* I would suggest that you begin with Mr. Gilpatric for spearfishing instruction books and review all books published since his monumental work was released ---and they are numerous. Some recent, some old, some common and inexpensive , some rare and very expensive -- but there was a multitude of books published on Spearfishing !

* there are a number of spearfishing instructional videos I would suggest that you begin with Dr. Maas

Keep up the good work -

Dr, Sam Miller, 111

@Akimbo (FYI - understand now?)

giphy.webp

BwaHaHa!!!

(OK, I'm better now.)

Allow Sam his reminiscing. :)

Looking forward to my gun, thinking about downsizing and modifying free shafts for freshwater smallmouth and panfish. Mill and weld my own 'shark fin tab' shafts...

'Ray's Law': You are only as good as your next dive.

Peace.

I've had some time to think about this. This is the Underwater Hunting forum so I'm talking with a limited subgroup of the diving population, divers and freedivers. And the curious. Maybe even most especially the curious.

None of us wants to know exactly how our beef or chicken made it to our table. I'll let that go there, as I do know. I love fish when properly prepared. I once ordered flounder at a fairly good restaurant at the beach. (Now you know its Delaware, 'shore' would be New Jersey) I got a nice plateful of well-prepared fish. I mentioned that there isn't a single legal fish on my plate. I was reassured that all is fine, that is bycatch.

So it seems that real spearos and bubble blowing cheaters are divided by self-aggrandizement. I have no intention of shooting the finest of any species just for bragging rights. I see that as an unfortunate waste of a fish that somehow managed to avoid all manner of peril to get to that size. Let it breed, we need those genes.

I've been a fisherman all my life, threw back tons of unwanted catch. Some gut-hooked. The thing that fascinates me about spearfishing is that it is so deadly precise. You don't shoot it unless you are going to eat it. Everything else gets a free pass unharmed. Compare that to those enormous commercial drag nets.

It's the DIR of fishing. The sad truth is hook and line can never be a good way to fish the way it is currently done. Look at recreational charter and head boats for example. They are not required to carry descending devices. So even if they are only taking home legal sized fish, they are killing nearly everything they bring to the surface.

This should be required on every fishing vessel.

Spearfishing is selective, only taking the correct size fish and leaving no line and hooks behind. We also don't kill a bunch of bait. Hell, most experienced divers don't anchor either so we're not beating the hell out of the coral with an anchor.

I disagree completely with Sam's assessment. First off, the sport, whether tanks or apnea, should be united and defended. Second, while there are some great freediving shooters out there, there's a dozen more who aren't worth a shot. I see nothing sporting in snorkeling down 20-40 ft., shooting a pelagic right in the fillet, and then letting a float line and buoy tire out the fish while the diver sits on the surface and then reels in the dead weight. Compare that to the guy on tanks who wrestles every fish at depth. Shoot a big AJ or Cobia and if you're not careful that fish will wrap you up and bash your teeth in. Not to mention, if you're snorkeling and a big shark(s) shows up you can hop right out of the water. On tanks, as you know, it doesn't work like that.

Ultimately, in the 60 ft. and up range a scuba spearfisherman will never be able to harvest the amount of fish a snorkeling spearfisherman can. The game fish are scared of bubbles, plain and simple. One key to being a successful tank spearfisherman is not appearing like you're hunting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom