LDS Package Discount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ren127

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm in the process of purchasing gear, and keep hearing that when you buy bc, reg, gauges, and computer at the same time the LDS will usually do a package deal.

What type of discount does your LDS give? Is it a flat percent off (If so how much)? Or do they throw in extras like lights, bags, t-shirts, pool time, etc.? Just curious what different LDSs offer.

As as second question- when buying an individual item does your LDS sell things at list or are they more competitive with the online shops?

Thanks,
Lauren

Shop around, locally and online. Scuba gear carries a fairly high markup but there is always somebody offering sizable discounts. I am not a fan of packages as most include stuff you would not have bought otherwise. If you can build your own package, that might be the way to go as it should reduce the shopping hassle.

Sticker price in most local shops is MSRP, sometimes higher.

Some manufacturers just don't give much of a discount no matter what, Scubapro comes to mind, so a lot of the ability of the LDS to save you money will depend on just what scuba companies they represent. Like most things you buy, there is more than one company that makes good equipment, so get prices from different manufacturers whether it's a package or not.

It varies from shop to shop. Try to do your research on what you want to buy. I recommend buying your main gear like regulators and BCDs from a good LDS, because they can service them and if you have issues you can bring it right to them. Plus its nice to support the local guy. Also remember when you are price shoping to compare apple to apples. I get so many people who come in to a store and see what we have and the price and say well I can get a reg online for x amount cheaper. I ask from where and what brand and look it up and its like comparing a kia to a BMW.

Recommend buying regulators and BCD from LDS. If first time buying a wetsuit I would buy local so you can try them out for fit, then later down the road you can buy elseware. Computers can be bought either place, and same for accessories. I try to suppport the local guy but they have to be compative. I would suggest doing some research talk to to your LDS and tell them you are shopping around and would like to buy from them and see what they can do.

If I were doing this top to bottom @ this time, I would shop around & try to buy things individually ie 'late model used stuff'----there's a lot of good used stuff out there, will take more time but might be worth your while...........&....
.....btw, 'Who Dat', GEAUX SAINTS......

My LDS basically sells gear at MSRP. I get a 15% discount for the stuff I buy there. I have seen some of the order books from there and a large sporting goods store that sells dive gear. For the gear I was looking for at the time (regs) there was a 100% markup between dealer cost and MSRP. Even when my LDS gives me 15% off, he is still making a decent profit.

As atedeschi mentioned, buying regs locally isn't bad because you have someone you can easily work with if you have issues. BCs are good to buy locally if you are worried about fit.

Usually I do my research and figure out what I want. If my LDS can get it, I ask him for a quote. If the quote is too high, I find another place to buy. A perfect example of this is SS Bolt Snaps. Most online retailers are selling them for between $5-$10, depending on size. The cheapest ones in my LDS are $20. While I really like my LDS, I can't really afford to pay that much markup on a piece of stainless steel.

The whole "support local" is a good concept but it means something different to each person. My LDS is run by a great guy, is owned by good people, and more importantly, my LDS really pushes diving as opposed to gear buying. They put an emphasis on getting people out diving and to keep them diving. Their dive club is all about keeping people in the water. These are all aspects that I like supporting. So when it comes time to buy equipment, I can accept the fact that I pay a little more at times because I see exactly where the money goes: keeping people diving and setting up trips. That being said, I won't blindly buy local without checking around first.

While your LDS may not be able to discount equipment much, they can throw in other things like air fills or a class. When I bought my drysuit, my LDS includes the drysuit class in the cost. While their prices may not have been as low as some online places, I felt I got a good deal because of the free instruction.

The one thing I will say is that shops would always rather sell you gear they have in the shop than stuff they have to order. They own the gear in the shop. When they sell it, they turn a profit on gear they already own and they clear out expensive inventory. If they order you gear, they have to spend more money to make a profit and they don't clear their stock. You can use this to your advantage by seeing if they are more willing to negotiate if you buy what they have on hand. On the other hand, if you really want a specific product that they don't have in stock, don't let them sell you gear out of the store because they don't feel like ordering stuff. Get what you want. If they can't help you, find someone that can.

There has been a lot of debate about the markup of dive shops. Some people feel it is their right to know what the shop is buying gear for so that the buyer can determine what is a fair price. I think that's stupid. I don't know what his overhead is so I can't decide what is "fair markup." Besides, it's his business not mine.

Just like anything else, you have to feel like you are receiving value for your money. The value may come in different form but you need to feel it. If getting the gear for the lowest price is all that matters (as is the case with some) then buy online. You will save money. If you plan on diving locally, hanging out in the shop picking their brains, going on their trips, then consider buying locally. If nothing else, you can always tell the shop what you want and what prices you've been able to buy it for. Maybe they can match it, maybe they will laugh in your face, who knows. At least you give them a chance to work with you.

Thanks for all of the replies- the LDS I was certified OW and Nitrox with says they offer package prices, and made a suggestion that I look at getting everything at once instead of a piece at a time- claiming it would be better for me.

I went in last week and they said they had three packages already put together or they could do a package price based on the gear I wanted. I picked out the Scubapro A700/MK25 (figured I'd do that once and it would last for a while), the Aqualung Pearl BC with airsource 3, and a Suunto Vyper 2. I also told them to price in any other gauges and things I would need. Everything but the BC is in stock. I was pretty disappointed when they came back with list price on everything and offered pool time (which they offer with the purchase of any major gear). I was even more disappointed when I found out the Vyper 2 has been discontinued and most shops are selling it at a discount already. I emailed the shop back and asked about the package discount confusion and was told to come in to the shop.

I'm going over there tomorrow to try and get this figured out, but this is getting really frustrating. I told myself I was willing to pay about a $200 premium (over internet) because I could justify it for the pool sessions, but at all list prices they are coming in almost $300 more than what I could by the exact same equipment from another LDS a couple of hours away and almost $500 more than the internet companies.

I'll update tomorrow afternoon after I go to the shop - any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lauren

Lauren,
It's interesting that one shop's "good deal" is actually not very good when compared with another LDS, let alone the internet. I have always preferred to send new divers to a good LDS who can be of actual assistance in fitting, etc., and can do competent reg service. But, IMO there is a limit to the premium that should be paid for these services. Experienced divers, OTOH, can often do much better on the internet because they do not need as much guidance.

You seem to be on the right track. Assuming that all else is equal, I would give the original LDS a chance to meet (exactly) the price of the other LDS. If he won't, I would WALK.

If I was starting out, buying gear again. I would shop online to buy the best make and model of each piece of equipment (for me) and if my LDS could not package a deal on what I wanted, or if I couldn't find it local on sale, then I would look online.

What I did my first time, is went with a buddy to the LDS who was training us on AOW and we both bought complete gear packages (the same stuff) and got a bit of a discount (10% discount on an already "on sale" package). It still was not as good of a deal as if I had shopped around.

I recently went to the new shop I deal with, and put together a negotiated package on about a half dozen steel tanks, and got as good as deal as I could have got online, but yeilded a better relationship with the shop and since I fill with them and by other sundries there, I think it was a win/win.

I'm in the process of purchasing gear, and keep hearing that when you buy bc, reg, gauges, and computer at the same time the LDS will usually do a package deal.

What type of discount does your LDS give? Is it a flat percent off (If so how much)? Or do they throw in extras like lights, bags, t-shirts, pool time, etc.? Just curious what different LDSs offer.

As as second question- when buying an individual item does your LDS sell things at list or are they more competitive with the online shops?

Thanks,
Lauren

How Long is a piece of string?

Everyone here has said the best thing to do - shop around.

As an example I purchased my regs and computer (Sherwood SR1, Octi and Wisdom2) and received almost $1000 off. So the mark up is huge - especially in New Zealand where I am.

The only other advice I would give is make sure you try things like your BCD before buying... it'd suck having an uncomfortable one! :)

Back
Top Bottom