Used Gear Marketplace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noboruwatanabe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Having passed the newbie stage and realised purchasing all gear new from various LDS is probably not the wisest financial decision, I have been looking at used gear online - mainly SB classifieds, Facebook Marketplace, and Craigslist.

I am having a hard time knowing what is a good price. I understand general market principles and recent supply issues perhaps causing price increases, but it seems like there is no pattern. Multiple platforms also make it difficult to compare, particularly since there are generally few items for sale of a given brand/style at any one time.

As a software engineer, I have an urge to create a simple marketplace where divers can list (for free) used items for sale, which would allow purchasers to filter/compare products and prices, etc. Does anyone think this would be useful tool for the community? Or should I just find a price I'm happy with or go back to purchasing from my LDS :D

Cheers!

Biggest thing seems to be location and costs of shipping. Tanks especially are really cost prohibitive to ship, and am I willing to drive 10 hours for a good deal?

ScubaBay?

I am having a hard time knowing what is a good price. I understand general market principles and recent supply issues perhaps causing price increases, but it seems like there is no pattern. Multiple platforms also make it difficult to compare, particularly since there are generally few items for sale of a given brand/style at any one time.
Another financial issue to consider, is both the availability and cost of, say, regulator maintenance, when buying through the used market, if that is your intention. What may appear a great deal on its face, may more than double its purchase price, for an all-too necessary overhaul -- especially, among the bigger names, when considering parts and labor.

Also, not every brand supports its older models; so I would encourage purchase fron a company that has a good reputation and a bit of history. I can still readily service thirty-plus year old Poseidons; and a friend has a five year old Tusa, which no shop in his area of SE Florida was even willing to touch.

Covidiocy, supply chains, or not -- parts don't come cheap; so the ability to service one's own gear is a real advantage, when faced with the used marketplace. It is far too easy to get screwed.

I've had friends purchase over eBay, only to discover that the "lightly-used" equipment was in far poorer shape than advertised; or, in one case, that the interior of the full face mask that they had purchased, had been chewed through by rodents . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 3.43.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 3.43.54 PM.png
    663.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 3.45.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 3.45.54 PM.png
    395.5 KB · Views: 43
Having passed the newbie stage and realised purchasing all gear new from various LDS is probably not the wisest financial decision, I have been looking at used gear online -

There are used car people and new car people and the same with SCUBA. If you are willing to settle for another diver's mess which may need maintenance and repair and be sub optimal to your final needs then used makes sense. On the other thought, if you know exactly what you want as some do and will not settle for almost as good (which is usually code for not so good) and will not settle for anything other or less, then purchasing new makes complete sense. The extra money is for getting exactly what you want.

Being in New Zealand I can appreciate you may have a much more limited new and used market.

Regulators, fins, masks, plates tend to be durable goods and are serviceable for many years. Wet suits, dry suits, wings, BCs and similar are wear items that need replaced periodically, much more frequently than those things I listed as durable goods, even annually. At least dry suits are generally repairable to some degree but wets suits are a toss away.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom