Question Completing beginner setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I initially rented gear, but now I have my own.

You must feel on top of the world

When I first started diving 50yrs ago where all you needed was basic gear, most of which I couldn't afford
I enjoyed carrying a big knife, inside my lower leg not particularly sharp, but for poking and prying things
and for pushing myself away from rocks and pylons I was going to be pushed against, and also to plunge
into the bottom if a current picked up to help from being swept away to the other side of our big oceans

The knife we call them BFKs really helped on my journey to perfecting buoyancy when the ocean was not cooperating and I could excavate things, found a piece of an aeroplane once and remove lost fishing line

Later on I found a cheap light in a disposals store, and saw the critters I was missing in nooks and cranies

As time and love for scuba diving progresses, you tend to accumulate things, and I still carry those knives
especially duing my first love, shore diving, where you'll gain oceanmanship, that sets you up for all dives

Make the most of your magnificent journey best wishes

Started with the D550 but found it is not bright enough in our muck during the summer in Puget Sound. The D710 is brighter and sufficient. It has lower settings for night diving and a battery level light on switch.
Go with local knowledge. The DGX equivalent of the Orcatorch D710 is the DGX Gears 1000-8 BUTTON Handheld Light .

Tech divers often want a twist light because there's one less thing to go wrong, but having an easily accessible low power option via a button is a real advantage for open water divers.

Back
Top Bottom