Lauderdale by the Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timetraveler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We leave tomorrow for several days in Lauderdale by the Sea. I've read the threads started by Stingray Brett and the Insider Information Sticky. Beyond that, I'd like to know if you all can recommend a local dive shop to rent tanks, get information and arrange boat dives.
Primarily we want to do shore diving. This will be our first time shore diving in South Florida. Any suggestions? In reading through previous threads, I didn't find (or recognize) much about shore diving in Lauderdale by the Sea. Can someone please give me the details - or direct me to them?

We leave tomorrow for several days in Lauderdale by the Sea. I've read the threads started by Stingray Brett and the Insider Information Sticky. Beyond that, I'd like to know if you all can recommend a local dive shop to rent tanks, get information and arrange boat dives.
Primarily we want to do shore diving. This will be our first time shore diving in South Florida. Any suggestions? In reading through previous threads, I didn't find (or recognize) much about shore diving in Lauderdale by the Sea. Can someone please give me the details - or direct me to them?

Shore diving in LBTS rocks! Just be sure to bring plenty of quarters, parking is limited and the meter maids do check. I'd recommend any entry south of the Commercial pier. Surface kick out past the first set of swim buoys, then drop down and you'll be in less than 20 feet of water. If you continue to head east, you have the opportunity to see multiple reefs, with areas of sand in between. Bring your dive flag, and beware of careless boaters and jet skiers.

As for a dive shop, there are several in the area. Force E could probably provide you with more information. If you're intested in joining a dive boat and doing a wreck dive, with lots of Goliath Groupers, I'll be diving the Castor in Boynton Beach, with Splashdown Divers. Otgherwise, continue to post here and I'm sure that you'll find willing buddies.

My favorite local dive shop is UnderSeas Sports on U.S. 1, they are just a little south of LBTS. 954-564-8661, they rent gear and arrange charters and they are the oldest dive shop in the area. Matt, the owner, can also give you tips on local beach diving.

We're staying at the Driftwood Beach Club, 4417 El Mar Drive, Lauderdale by the Sea.

The easiest thing to do would be to wear your BC and carry your other stuff to Deep Blue Divers next to the pier, rent tanks, put everything on while you're getting directions from the owner, walk the short distance to the reef, put on fins in four feet of water, swim out to the reef, follow the reef against the current (either N or S), drift back, swim to beach, walk back to shop,
drop off tank................... The alternative involves 20 lbs of quarters.

OK, I just realized you're much closer to the pier than I usually am. You can just get tanks or fills the night before, walk straight to the ocean and take a right (in tthe water) do the dive, and swim back home . If the current is eddying south, come in closer to shore where it will probably be going north and float back home. I almost feel asleep on my back doing this once. Watch for the killer nurse sharks.

Thanks for all your help. We followed your advice and got in several good dives. The water was warm and the vis good enough to see two nurse sharks, a large southern stingray, a green moray, several yellow rays, and fish everywhere.

Thanks for all your help. We followed your advice and got in several good dives. The water was warm and the vis good enough to see two nurse sharks, a large southern stingray, a green moray, several yellow rays, and fish everywhere.

Thats great!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom