Lauderdale by the Sea- Trip Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Redfoot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking to do Lauderdale by the Sea in early November (tentative 11/5-11/10)

I really like the idea of staying somewhere I can walk out the door and dive/hop on the dive boat.

Looks like Sea Experience and Bahia Mar offer that, as well as Sands Harbor and Southeast Florida Dive Headquarters.

A few questions:

-How is November diving in Lauderdale?
-Any preference on operator/hotel combo from anyone here?
-Any operators offering guided shore dives in the area?

Thanks in advance

Thanks in advance
I never found a guide to be necessary for shore diving in LBTS. Such an easy dive. Diving & Snorkeling | Lauderdale By The Sea

But if you really want a guide, a couple local shops there offer them.

I really like the idea of staying somewhere I can walk out the door and dive/hop on the dive boat.

Looks like Sea Experience and Bahia Mar offer that, as well as Sands Harbor and Southeast Florida Dive Headquarters.

A few questions:

Thanks in advance

LBTS is primarily shore diving. I have zero experience diving there so others will have to cover that.

If you want to hit the offshore sites off of Ft. Lauderdale, Sea Experience is a great option. I've dived with them a number of times. They run a great operation and they have a really nice location there at the Bahia Mar. Right across the street from the beach and plenty of restaurants and clubs within easy walking distance. They hit all of the usual recreational wrecks and reefs off of Ft. Lauderdale. They occasionally run down to Tenneco Towers as well off of Miami Beach.

Thanks- I have been leaning towards Bahia Mar/Sea Experience. I like that everything is right there.
I hate going on vacation and then spending significant time driving, parking, sitting in traffic, etc. Especially shorter trips, I get too frustrated!

Check out Aqui Water Ports in Lauderdale by the Sea. They can rent all the gear you need including backplate/wings and steel tanks.

Fair warning, if you try diving a backplate you may just wind up buying one!

Staff at Aqui is super helpful and can guide if needed, or just follow their directions on where to go if you don’t want a physical guide. If you want, you can show up in the morning, rent gear, walk a few hundred yards to the beach kitted up and right into the water.

They also offer training of all sorts if you want to expand on your skills.

Aqui Water Sports linky

November can have very high wind days, like 25mph for a week.

Very good point!! When hurricane season ends, wind season begins. As @Texasguy rightly says, between Nov-Mar we can have periods of multiple days to a week or more of winds that preclude both offshore boat diving and unsheltered shore diving. It's just something that has to be monitored. Even if the conditions are diveable they are rarely as calm as we see in the spring and summer.

Gold Coast Scuba (up commercial blvd a few blocks from Datura) does a meetup, which you can see here: Gold Coast Scuba Divers (954) 616-5909

They often meet up for the LBTS reef dive but as others have said, it's an easy one. There is a map on the beach and it's hard to miss the reef heading straight out due East.

We often check the tides/wind forecast using magicseaweed

You do have to bring a float for your dive party no matter what. You can probably rent these at the local shops too. We're local here so don't know the resorts/hotels really but like anything 'location location location' would be good to just walk to the beach and get in for your diving

Windjammer Resort is at LBTS. www.sunny.org/webcam uses their camera. Right on the beach. Sometimes there are some good deals to be had. Just a couple blocks south of "downtown" LBTS, shops, restaurants, etc. Easy to uber to different areas around Ft. Lauderdale.
Me, personally, I haven't dived LBTS in a few years. Last time I went I was so disappointed I haven't gone back. Course all inshore reefs along the coast is hit n miss with coral bleaching, and algae. But, you get what you pay for. And for an easy shore entry, unlimited bottom time, it's decent.
As others have said, the weather is hit or miss, and might be worth it to look into what to do if it's too windy to dive.
Oh, yes, you HAVE to have a flag.
Good luck.

A few questions:

Thanks in advance
I dive LBTS almost every weekend with friends. We surface swim about 30 to 40 mins before dropping down. Nice reef system if you go out that far. Take a dive flag!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom