Sea King Photogrammetry Model (Imperial Beach, California)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A couple years ago, Tyler Stalter and I found and eventually identified a new Sea King SH-3A helicopter wreck. It was an epic journey to get the identification correct and, for a short while, we even thought it might have been the infamous Helo 66.

At the time, we were mainly focussed on identifying the wreck and not photogrammetry so I only had enough pictures to build an "okay" model of only one section of the debris field. Given that it is a debris field, it adds to the complexity of building a model (keeping track of what you have covered, covering the empty areas, etc).

I went back last week and took 1,100 photos (@ 210 fsw) and built what I think is a superb model of the entire debris field. I've posted the details of the dive along with a link to the "live" online model and a bunch of screenshots.

Below is one screenshot of the model where you can actually see a fish in the left foreground (it posed for the pictures and didn't move!) along with the main debris field with the dipping sonar and main rotor in the right foreground along with a couple of the main blades. The background has the tail section, the tail rotor, and one of the main landing gears.

sb-cover.png

We are working on a couple more local projects we hope to finish before the end of the year so stay tuned... :)

Regards,

- brett

How well does this system work with wrecks where you are accessing both the outside and the inside? Does this confuse the software?

If you do it correctly, it actually works. Here is an example of the Ruby E in San Diego:

If you look through the post and take a look at the on-line model, you can actually "navigate" into the engine room and see both of the 6 cylinder head engines.

I've got a few other examples of engine rooms and interior spaces and have a plan to publish an in-depth article about it but need to find the time. There are some not-so-obvious challenges to doing photogrammetry on internal spaces.

- brett

Ah, the Cyane. I spent about 6 years trying to identify the remains of one of her sister ships, the USS Hermes.

Thanks for the info!

oh yes, I saw that when it was posted. I meant the photogammetry model. That is a non-trivial task with such a huge ship!

oh yes, I saw that when it was posted. I meant the photogammetry model. That is a non-trivial task with such a huge ship!

Yeah, definitely non-trivial also given the depth and the time available. I have discussed the idea with a few others and I know there has been some progress made, but it is a monumental task.

Right now, I'm working on finishing the Yukon off San Diego which will hopefully be completed soon.

- brett

This is rad! Thanks for sharing. I’m local to San Diego and so this is especially interesting to me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom