Airplane Wrecks of the USS Saratoga (CV-3) in Bikini Atoll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
During my recent trip to Bikini Atoll, I took on a "mission" to document the airplane wrecks that are scattered around the USS Saratoga (CV-3).

Before the "Baker" test, there were six airplanes on the deck (and some inside the airplane hangar). We have found most of them and even found a Kingfisher floatplane that was NOT on the deck of the Saratoga (details in the post below).

Each of the airplane types has been identified, pictures and a full photogrammetry model are also provided. I have also posted the "live" photogrammetry models on-line for readers to view, rotate, zoom, etc.

One of the airplanes has a tail section on the port and the front section on the starboard and, given the detective work, we believe that they might be the same plane that got literally crushed when the Saratoga hit the bottom.

Below is a link to the post and I've included a "map" that I created showing the locations of each airplane in case any future visitor wants the "cheat sheet" for where to locate it.

Enjoy!

Plane-Map-v2.png

PS - I mention this in the post, but it is also worth mentioning this here. Unbeknownst to me, Bradley Sheard had taken on a similar project a couple months earlier and we ended up doing a lot of collaboration after we both returned. His website also has a lot of information: bikini underwater photography wreck diving shipwrecks brad sheard

Amazing and appreciated as always Brett.

Wreck diving isn't my wheelhouse at all, but just wanted to say I read your blogpost and am in awe of the work you've done here - very cool! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! You are very welcome. If you haven't already, you should check out some of the other posts on the site. :)

- brett

Back
Top Bottom