Lauderdale by the Sea Dive Reports 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

....., saying its was State Law that you need to stay back 300ft.
LOL,,,they thought you were carrying another "point & shoot" device for the 300ft to apply. But with the exception of a couple of gulf side county 'local rules' that were grandfathered into the FWC rules,,,you were correct. When a LEO tries to over-extend a statue, we just ask them if their phone is working and if they can show us the statue/rule. They never do. >>Excellent photo's as always !!

Went to LBTS this past Saturday and Sunday for diving. I have found that when visibility is not good at BHB, it is often times better at LBTS. That proved true both days. Visibility was ok, 30ft-40ft depending on where I happened to be, with some green water on top and some big particulate matter as well. Sea temp was steady at 85f. On both days I did back to back dives, spending a total of five hours underwater each day. The majority of time was spent underneath the pier. Broward Sheriff did not show up on either day, and their were lots of other divers and snorkelers. mostly snorkelers under the pier as well. Searched for Tessellated Blennies and found them, also found Pearl Blennies, lots of Molly Millers and Atlantic Oyster Blennies as well. More than a few Southern Sting Rays, but hardly any Nurse Sharks, and not one Tarpon. Large Schools of Lookdowns, Irish Pompano, Bigeye Scad, Moonfish, and Jack Crevalle, with other species mixed in like Amberjack, Horse Eye Jack, Permits, and I even observed a single Bluefish mixed in with the Lookdowns. Respectively, Bi
10-07-23 Bigeye Scad.jpg
10-07-23 Bigeye Scad1.jpg
10-07-23 Tunicate.jpg
10-08-23 Spadefish.jpg
10-08-23 Spadefish1.jpg

Nice! We were there Sunday morning, opting to head to the drop off instead of the pier. I put the viz at 30 max, with comfortable water temps. On the way back in, we stopped for (according to the time stamps on my photos) 18 minutes to converse with a couple squid.

Attachments

• 1426 03 banded butterfly.jpg
    1426 03 banded butterfly.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 1426 09 squid.jpg
    1426 09 squid.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 1426 12 squid.jpg
    1426 12 squid.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 1426 14 squid.jpg
    1426 14 squid.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 1426 13 squid.jpg
    1426 13 squid.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 49
Nice! We were there Sunday morning, opting to head to the drop off instead of the pier. I put the viz at 30 max, with comfortable water temps. On the way back in, we stopped for (according to the time stamps on my photos) 18 minutes to converse with a couple squid.
nice pics

Went to LBTS for diving yesterday. There is little to no wind, and from the beach the water looked absolutely gorgeous. Visibility was about 40ft with a bit of green mixed in with the blue, and visibility increasing the further I got from the beach. Sea temp was 80f.

Headed east underneath the pier. Lookdowns, Moonfish, Bigeye Scad, Irish Pompano, Blue Runners were all present in abundant numbers. Permits, Horse Eye Jacks, and Crevalle Jacks, Barracuda in smaller numbers. As well as the normal compliment of grunts, angelfish, snappers, and smaller fish like blennies. Did not linger under the pier, continued east to the second reef, searching for species I have not document for inaturalist. The only species I added for the day was a Kittens Paw. At one point was surrounded by a 200-300 member school of Blue Runners keeping me company. Headed a bit south and turned west to return to the first reef. On the first reef observed a small Green Turtle with a stunning shell pattern. The turtle seemed unconcerned with my presence, so I the video was three minutes long.

When about to leave the first reef, I heard a boat so did popped my head up for a look see. The Broward Sheriff was close to the pier chasing divers and snorkelers away. I headed to the Sheriff's boat to ask them what was the specific ordinance not allowing divers and snorkelers. His reply, " I think it is in 327". I replied, "no sir I read it three times, its not in 327". Then he replied that he thought LBTS and Pompano had ordinances in place for the piers. I explained I was not trying be argumentative, I just would really like to know. It was a cordial exchange. Not sure why I had not searched LBTS ordinances before, but he was correct there is a LBTS city ordinance.

Sec. 5-5. Surface diving, surf casting, scuba diving and skin diving prohibited in certain areas.
Surface diving, surf casting, scuba diving, and skin diving shall be prohibited at any point less than 300 feet north, south or east of fishermen's pier in the Town.
(Code 1962, § 5-4(b); Ord. No. 2009-27, § 1, 10-13-2009)

Respectively, Kittens Paw, Green Sea Turtle, Surface Condition, Sea Turtle Video, and Blue Runner Video.

10-21-23 Atlantic Kitten's Paw.jpg
10-21-23 Green Sea Turtle.jpg
10-21-23 LBTS.jpg

Attachments

• Sec._5_5.___Surface_diving__surf_casting__scuba_diving_and_skin_diving_prohibited_in_certain_...docx
    16.2 KB · Views: 44
Little greenie got a chunk of right hind flipper missing...

As for the ordinance, my understanding is that you can't dive any any pier. However, lienency has been granted over the years.. till now.. when the pier is closed to fishermen.
Everytime that pier gets closed, the divers enjoy a treat being able to under..

As an aside. We did the erojacks today. Coming back in, came in too far south and ended up next to, then under the pier.. whoops.. Lifeguards were blowing their whistles when we surfaced. Shuffled away a few feet and all was well.

And how do you know that the pier is closed to the fishermen? Is there a schedule?

And how do you know that the pier is closed to the fishermen? Is there a schedule?

Some of the piers have clean ups once a year usually organized by a dive shop. Dixie Divers organizers one for Deerfield Pier in June and another for (not sure when) Pompano Pier once a year.

With regards to LBTS Pier, the picture below is the stated schedule of when the pier is closed to fisherman, since Idalia last fall.

1698076645456.png

Attachments

• 1698076673597.png
    1698076673597.png
    872.9 KB · Views: 32
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom