Lauderdale by the Sea Dive Reports 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to LBTS for diving today. It was the opposite of BHB yesterday, Datura Ave was empty, and there were not any other divers entering at 0825 when I entered. Wind was out of the southeast and moderating to less than 10 kts. Waves were about three feet, sea temp 73f, and visibility was 30ft with a green/blue color. Current was to the north but not particularly strong.

Though there were plenty of Man Of War Jellies, and By The Wind Sailors on the beach I did not see any while diving, then again not spending much time near the surface does not really help in a search for the same, or the Pilotfish, Man Of War Fish, and Banded Rudderfish that accompany them. Hit the first reef and headed south and slightly east until I hit the large Montastrea landmark and headed east. Crossed the sand to the second reef, headed north to the coral arch landmark. Turned west crossed the sand back to the first reef and returned to the beach. Did a REEF survey of 45 species in 60 minutes. I find 73f a little uncomfortable, even with a 5mm wetsuit, a hooded vest under the wetsuit, and a beanie hood under the hooded vest. It makes it somewhat difficult to concentrate on macro for more than a few minutes at a time. I have been taking images of the coral arch landmark for more than two decades now. Always happy to see that it has not collapsed. Unlike the pier which has another two segment which have collapsed into the water. One closer to shore hanging at 45 degree angle, and the perpendicular piece at the very end. It is definitely a hazard. Wonder if they will do something about removing the rest of it before it collapses. I am sure it must give Broward Sheriff fits, trying to keep people away.

Respectively, Coral Arch Landmark, By-The-Wind Sailor Jelly, Sand Perch, Flamingo's Tongue, and Purplemouth Moray
03-03-24 Arch1.jpg
03-03-24 Sailor.jpg
03-03-24 Sand Perch.jpg
03-03-24-Flamingos Tongue.jpg
03-03-24-Purple Mouth Moray.jpg

My friends said they met you on shore there yesterday. They ended up not diving, both agreed the exit may have been problematic.

Went to LBTS for diving this past Saturday and Sunday. There was no wind on Saturday, and just a little breezy on Sunday. Saturday there seemed to be a lot divers in the water, on Sunday not so much. Sea temp was 77f on both days, with visibility in the 40ft range, with a little haze and a touch of green color to the water.

Entered the water both days at about 0725. On Saturday, I stayed on the first reef heading south against the a north current, to drift back with the current at the halfway point. Find of the day was an Roughback Shrimp. I had only previously observed one at BHB. Did a REEF survey of 42 species in 60 minutes. On Sunday there was no current, the water was very still. Headed east to the ledge of the first reef. Turned south along the ledge. At the Montastrea waypoint, I turned east again and headed to the second reef. Once hitting the second reef turned north until hitting the arch on the sand/reef interface, and turned west towards the beach. Did a REEF survey of 52 species in 60 minutes. The friendly reverse phase Goldentail Moray was the find of the day. Respectively, Roughback Shrimp, Roughhead Blenny, Goldentail Moray, Roughhead Blenny, and Flamingos Tongue with Fingerprint Cyphoma.

04-20-24 roughback shrimp.jpg
04-20-24 roughhead blenny1.jpg
04-21-24 goldentail moray.jpg
04-21-24 roughhead blenny.jpg
04-22-24 Flamingos Tongue and Fingerprint.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom