Lake Pleasant conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok im a newbie, just saw this. We are taking our 2 weekends of testing at Pleasant and my question is, what are you seeing when you dive in the Lake? It just seems so murky and without the coral and high vis is it really that much fun?

And lastly, are most of you doing shore dives or do you all own boats?

Thanks in advance!

Gene

Vis can get up to 25 feet in Lake Pleasant. There's a lot of rocky formations that fish like to hang around. There are quite a few species of fish in the lake. We do shore dives there. There are a few areas you can park right next to the water and walk right in.

scrapdizzy:
Ok im a newbie, just saw this. We are taking our 2 weekends of testing at Pleasant and my question is, what are you seeing when you dive in the Lake? It just seems so murky and without the coral and high vis is it really that much fun?

And lastly, are most of you doing shore dives or do you all own boats?

Thanks in advance!

Gene
Hey Gene,

I second what Rob said. Also do not base your opinions of the Lake on your OW checkout dives, you'll be in a inexperienced group, yourself included, there for the purpose of doing drills while mucking up the bottom :D You probably won't see any fish and you'll probably walk away thinking it sucks at the lake. But at least 1 time, maybe a tune-up before you head to the islands, come out with your wife and dive with someone who can show you some of the more positive things the lake can offer; this board is a great resource for that. It's not the ocean and definitely won't hold a candle to Hawaii, but it's wet, the conditions are great right now and you can work on your buoyancy, skills and comfort level.

A group of us went diving last night, we did a twilight and night dive. Viz was about 20', water temps in the 80s and we all had a great time, saw Bass, Bluegill, Carp, Catfish, Crawdads, etc; caravaned to dinner afterwords didn't get home till 1 :11:; remember diving is a social sport and sitting around swappin' sea stories and fish tales is as much a part of the experience as the dive.

And while I don't know your individual situation, I think I recall you travel alot, but if you find yourself "High and Dry" in AZ the lake offers a way of combatting that and is a great place to do a tune-up before the next trip, practice or try out your new gear, meet new folks or just to get out of the AC, have some fun and burn a couple tanks for a few hours.

I was gonna shoot some video with my little P&S camera but my memory card had a problem, you can click on the link in my sig for some photos of a couple recent lake dives.

And in the interests of full-disclosure the lake conditions are not always this good, so take advantage when you can. :wink:

Garrett

Well said shark.byte. Another way to look at it might be that while conditions aren't what yyou'd like to dive, it offers practice opportunities to check things out like octos that might leak :wink:, search and recovery, breath and buoyancy control. When you can deal with these things that aren't in ideal environments they' ll become rote in excellent conditions. Anytime I can blow bubbles underwater and not be in a pool is a good thing (except for body recovery). Time spent underwater is experienced gained. IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom