Jup Rpt May 18 - Where's the Bulls?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnoly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
The beginning & middle of May is the Jupiter Bull Shark Migration on the 120 to 100 ft deep ledges and holes. If you are a harvester, it's not unusual to have 15 or 20 bulls circling your group of divers right after they get to the bottom. We jumped on the two tank Thursday hunting trip on ScubaWork's boat DivOcean. Flat seas made for our Capt. Brooks push the throttles down for a fast run to the popular deep dive site BlackRock. A normal 1.5 knot current with 80 ft of viz but also a strong westward push blowing us off the ledge. Thermocline at 80 ft dropping us to 74 from the top water at 79°. Was a 35 minute dive in 3 digits deep and I didn't see a single Bull Shark, just one nurse that was sleeping. They may have moved more north but don't know.

Second dive inside at 85 ft was a great lobster spot with plenty of hogs, jacks & lions,,but no legal grouper. There was half a dozen 'hole pokers' clanging the dinner bell over and over & filling up the cooler for Memorial weekend BBQ's, but no bulls showed up to this holiday party all day.

20230518_115920.jpg

Thanks @Johnoly

Doesn't look like JDC has been to Deep Ledge lately, anybody been there? Emerald?

I'll be down in a few weeks, 1st dives since I broke my left leg, trying to make plans.

I'll be down in a few weeks, 1st dives since I broke my left leg, trying to make plans.
I talked to some of the commercial guys and they said reports of the bulls following the 25 passenger hook & line party boats that hit the deep ledge. But they also are not seeing huge numbers of Bulls like we normally due during the 'Bull Run' of May each year. It's really cool to see that many circling your group!

Glad to hear you are getting back in the water. Please pick a calm day, because you've seen people getting smacked and whacked with the boat ladders in bouncy seas.

@Johnoly Nice Hog! Thanks for the temp report too going out of Pompano tomorrow for 3 trips (morning afternoon and night 2 tanks each) was trying to decide what suit to bring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom