Keys w/SoCal divers Saturday 8/7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Jenny:
We should all have blank faces today since WE DOVE OUR FACES OFF!
What? Could it be age? I'm ready to go again!

Oh I see it's 8:25 time for a nap. Later.

Hey ya'll,

Just a quick thanks to all the SBers who welcomed me on the dives Sat. I had a blast with the group and managed to pick up a few nuggets of info over the course of the day. Island Ventures is a very good operation, so a big thanks to the crew there. Thanks to Krista and my other dive buddy, I am sorry bur I can't recall his name, for having the patience of putting up with me. I hope I was a good dive buddy. I had fun and hope to do it again some time. I hope the SoCal divers had fun and enjoyed some warm water diving, come back now ya'll hear.

Paul

PS. Capt. Brian next time I'll remember my dive cards. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I think Jenny gave a brief recount of the dives. Some additional info, we dove with the Rampage on friday morning, did bath and tennis then breakers, all good except they took a while (10+ mins) to pick us up when we surfaced and played Jimmy Buffett (much to the disappointment of Ken and i) and the DM seemed to hook off the line every 10 mins to catch a bug - we just finger pinched the line rather than kicking into the current. There were only the 4 of us from SB on there that day, but it was nice, calm. Long SI until we got wet again on Michigan/Johnson/Yellow Brick Road, nice long dive with Jenny doing the an Oh $%*# ESA at the end of catching her last bug, she blamed her 75 min "short" dive on a half full 50 and carrying flag and lobster stuff - right, i just dont believe she has gills anymore :wink:

Dive order on saturday was as stated before, my dives were all cool, even the scary part where i narced myself right out at 110ft (big CO2 loading on the kick to the line and quick drop to 110 sorted that out). The current was fairly strong, but not too bad. The two reef drift dives were very cool, lots of life, aquarium style, the Duane was a great wreck, will look forward to doing that again in two weeks! It was a shame on saturday that i didnt get to hang out as much with some of my SB pals as they were on the popular boat, but we got some good dives. For those of you who this matters too (thinking Angie here as she mentioned it before), i had little to no trouble with my ears, sinuses doing that variety of diving, this bodes well for any kind of liveaboard/dive your face off vacation in the future, oh and i think i was the nearest to getting seasick, but that felt worst in some of the surge throwing me about.

Sunday was all good in the morning and afternoon. Viz wasnt all that bad, surge was fine, the second reef line we started on at LBTS would have been interesting enough, but Marvel decided to put on the afterburners and motor out to the third reef line, which was very pretty, but a long haul and double time for us and the gas consumption showed it, we were only down for 80 mins before i got low! Altogether for the weekend 9 dives and 9 hours 6 mins bottom time at depths ranging from 110 to 10ft! I really enjoyed the weekend, diving with Ken, Jaye and Charlie mostly, with a little Jenny and Marvel thrown in for good measure!

Will be looking forward to doing that kind of cheap diving off the shore there again soon! Thanks to all those who planned this, came and filled up the boats and parking spaces and made this a good weekend of diving :wink:

i have to say that i am so impressed with the SB divers we met, no matter what
their experience level.

it's so great to be in a boat with no CF's, no jerks, no annoying, arrogant know-it-alls.

thank you all for a great time!

and i have to say it again: there are no divers like SB divers!

Dang, I hate being right about the SG! I'm glad you guys enjoyed your dives though. Hopefully next time Angie and I will join you.

Regardless, it was nice seeing you, the usual suspects (Jenny, Marvel, Krista, Andy), and meeting those of you we did (Ken, his wife, Chuck, Simon, Wes, Theresa).

Safe ascents to everyone and we hope we all get to dive again soon. Angie's weekend camp out in the Keys is still on the planning stages, but we hope it can be done later in the fall (probably mid to late October, when it's a bit cooler, and not so many mosquitos).

It was good to meet and hang out with some new faces as well this weekend either on saturday or sunday. Finally meeting some of the SE FL crew, Rick, Angie, Marvel, Grier, Theresa and Jeff, and some others from around this part of the state, Wes and Paul, i dont know where some of the others that were from singledivers came from, lots of people, lots of fun!

Might have to see about the camp out thing, but cant hit the keys too many times in one year!! :wink: Looking forward to it again in two weeks!

SmokeAire:
What? Could it be age? I'm ready to go again!

Oh I see it's 8:25 time for a nap. Later.
When you get up from your nap, let me know. I am ready to go!

Scuba_Jenny:
When you get up from your nap, let me know. I am ready to go!
I saw that the "mighty fine hat" got some use that day, either covering Jenny's head whilst out on the boat or her face whilst taking a "power nap" - and who had to drive home with only 5 hours of sleep the previous night and no power nap????

BTW, i was just checking out the trip in two weeks that i booked up for (eagle and duane plus two reefs) and it said something about artificial wreck medallion - were we supposed to have picked up those somewhere? Or did we pay for them and i didnt pick it up whilst at IV?

Have to make trips further down the keys if i have already done the duane (twice), eagle and speigel, although i wouldnt mind doing those again i am sure, but its nice to see a range of wrecks!

simbrooks:
I think Jenny gave a brief recount of the dives. Some additional info, we dove with the Rampage on friday morning, did bath and tennis then breakers, all good except they took a while (10+ mins) to pick us up when we surfaced and played Jimmy Buffett (much to the disappointment of Ken and i) and the DM seemed to hook off the line every 10 mins to catch a bug - we just finger pinched the line rather than kicking into the current. There were only the 4 of us from SB on there that day, but it was nice, calm. Long SI until we got wet again on Michigan/Johnson/Yellow Brick Road, nice long dive with Jenny doing the an Oh $%*# ESA at the end of catching her last bug, she blamed her 75 min "short" dive on a half full 50 and carrying flag and lobster stuff - right, i just dont believe she has gills anymore :wink:

Dive order on saturday was as stated before, my dives were all cool, even the scary part where i narced myself right out at 110ft (big CO2 loading on the kick to the line and quick drop to 110 sorted that out). The current was fairly strong, but not too bad. The two reef drift dives were very cool, lots of life, aquarium style, the Duane was a great wreck, will look forward to doing that again in two weeks! It was a shame on saturday that i didnt get to hang out as much with some of my SB pals as they were on the popular boat, but we got some good dives.

Sunday was all good in the morning and afternoon. Viz wasnt all that bad, surge was fine, the second reef line we started on at LBTS would have been interesting enough, but Marvel decided to put on the afterburners and motor out to the third reef line, which was very pretty, but a long haul and double time for us and the gas consumption showed it, we were only down for 80 mins before i got low! Altogether for the weekend 9 dives and 9 hours 6 mins bottom time at depths ranging from 110 to 10ft! I really enjoyed the weekend, diving with Ken, Jaye and Charlie mostly, with a little Jenny and Marvel thrown in for good measure!

Will be looking forward to doing that kind of cheap diving off the shore there again soon! Thanks to all those who planned this, came and filled up the boats and parking spaces and made this a good weekend of diving :wink:
Well, Simon, you'll just have to come down more often & dive with Jenny & I so that we can teach you our secrets & tricks for super air comsuption!! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom