Keys w/SoCal divers Saturday 8/7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys have a wonderful dive and godspeed to all. Wish scbababe and I could join in, but that will be another date.

p.s. Anytime the winds are anywhere from the west (SW, SSW, W, NW, NNW) the seas are usually FLAT. the 2 - 3 is probably a disclaimer. However, beware of strong currents at the Grove with near flat seas. Everytime I've dove it with near flat seas (probably 5 out of the 8 times I've dove it), the current has been of about 1.5 - 2 kts. (enough to make you a flag on a pole at safety stop) and is usually travels from south to north (stern to bow).

Just got off the phone with Brian at Island Ventures. As long as at least 10 people are on the boat, we get the discounted rate. He said that there are about 20 of us! Whoo Whee!
Also, TANKS ARE INCLUDED. I dont know about Nitrox, but air is included. Also, the iteniary is up to us! Dive on!

Thanks to all who went out with us today
I enjoyed your company
Calm seas with a cool breeze is pretty nice
Till next time
NO STRESS DIVING
Capt. Brian

Wow, we even got Cpt. Brian on board!! Thanks much for a great day, Brian; please pass on the thanks to Kelly and the rest of the staff as well. You guys kept us together and moving all day long, seamlessly!!!
A "brief" dive brief, for those anxiously awaiting a report--weather worked out well; some spots of overcast and a short shower, but all worked will, with seas flat in the AM and rising to maybe 2-3 by the end of the day. Scubaguy, you were right on, the current on the Grove was ripping, and we pretty much all stayed at the very top, for fear of being dragged away, never to be heard from again....then off to French reef for our second dive....I learned quickly just how much Keys diving is NOT like West Palm drift diving (ahem)....some remedial training in reading a compass is in order for me (as well as further apologies to my patient and attentive buddies)...
After lunch and tank fills, we hit the Duane--which I think we all agreed was a much more enjoyable wreck dive. Some 15 giant barracuda's were on guard, pacing and following as we explored. Some swear there was also a large eel there to greet us as well...though that still seems to be a rumor...
Last dive of the day was Molasses reef, where large green moray were happily free swimming from reef to reef, and a remora decided to make friends with buddy Paul's tank the entire dive (made even more amusing because he just couldn't figure out what I kept laughing and pointing at...)
After the dives, everyone began mobilizing to head for Hobo's for dinner. I had to take off, having the longest drive home, and am positive that some great stories will come out of that part of the evening.
Plans are to continue the fun and games first thing tomorrow morning, where a sunrise dive may or may not be organized at the unofficial Conch Diver's Clubhouse at Hibiscus at Lauderdale by the Sea. Dives will be occuring throughout the day, I'm sure, so hopefully we will catch some more divers!! Come on out; see everyone there!

And what of the SoCal divers?

Did they make it?

Was Ken sportin' his new BPD (Black Pocket Diaper)? :wink:

Enquiring minds....!

Do tell!

Christian

bberry:
Thanks to all who went out with us today
I enjoyed your company
Calm seas with a cool breeze is pretty nice
Till next time
NO STRESS DIVING
Capt. Brian
Hey Capt.Brian!,
Your crew did a great job. We will be back.
Oh and thanks for the "wake up" call about my tanks. I was about to head north when I recieved your msg. Almost forgot about the tanks.
"TANKS" again for a great time.

Chuck

headhunter:
And what of the SoCal divers?

Did they make it?

Was Ken sportin' his new BPD (Black Pocket Diaper)? :wink:

Enquiring minds....!

Do tell!

Christian
Ken and his wife made it and were a great addition to the Flo.Conk group (ya'll need to move down here). Ken takes great pics and his wife is a wonderfully friendly person , despite hiding my mask from me.. Don't know about the BPD (what ever that is..lalalala my ears are closed), at least he didn't brag about it, as far as I know.

A very BIG word of warning for anyone coming to the Keys! Buy, steal or procure whatever chemical, electronic or hybrid of the two, mosquito repellant you can afford! There are gazillions of them and they attack in mass. This is not a joke. I have never had so many bites in my life. The Nile may be interesting but west nile is a real drag. I saw locals congregating around the repellant aisles discussing the merits of each repellant.
Get the point! And these were locales!

SmokeAire:
Ken and his wife made it and were a great addition to the Flo.Conk group (ya'll need to move down here). Ken takes great pics and his wife is a wonderfully friendly person , despite hiding my mask from me.. Don't know about the BPD (what ever that is..lalalala my ears are closed), at least he didn't brag about it, as far as I know.
Glad to hear that they were in good form to represent SoCal!

The BPD would be the name that Ken gave the X-Shorts that he bought for the trip. They're neoprene shorts with pockets.

Christian

I saw those shorts but didn't know they were new.

I had a blast this weekend. We should all have blank faces today since WE DOVE OUR FACES OFF!

Friday: Ken, Jaye, Simon, and Charlie did 2 dives on the Rampage in West Palm Beach.
Friday night: Ken, Jaye, Simon, and I did a beach dive at the Yellow Brick Road in Hollywood. I brought the lobster gear, just in case, and released 2 shorts, missed a couple and brought 3 home. HID lights are great for catching lobster. Fun!
Saturday we were split up on two boats, with Simon, I, Marc and Melissa, Charlie, and a guy named Jeff (soon to be a member of SB, perhaps) on one boat, and everybody else on the bigger boat.
Dive 1: Spiegel Grove. Good current. We were dropped on the stern. Decided against dropping over the side since the upwelling was so strong, so we grabbed ahold of the railing and hung on, flapping in the upwelling for 10 minutes. It was incredible seeing the fish have almost no problems just hanging, while we were flapping like flags. Fun. Eddy the DM was in the water helping us back on the boat, right there every dive to assist with whatever needed done. Good Job Eddie!
Dive 2: French Reef. Very pretty. Brian and Island Ventures is the best! He dropped us as a drift dive, picking us up over an hour later. We got to explore the reef, see the usual critters.
Then back to the dock for a lunch. I opted to stay on the boat and grabbed some shut eye.
Dive 3: The duane. Awesome Dive! I am looking so forward to doing this one again. The coral growth is beautiful, Ken got some really nice shots of it. I looked over the bow at 100ft and could see the bottom.
Dive 4: Molasses Reef. This reef is so beautiful. It is like swimming in an aquarium with the crushed coral base, prolific sealife and just plain pleasing to the eye to see.
Post dive we ate at Hobos, sharing the adventures of the day.
Simon and I headed back to Hollywood.
Sunday: Bright and early, or should I say while it was still dark out, K, J, S, and I hit Douglas Street in Hollywood for a sunrise dive. We missed getting in the water in the dark, but it was a good effort, especially considering the previous days activities. I didn't have my license with me. Bummer. The vis was way down from Friday night, but still relativelly calm seas.
We all then headed up to Lauderdale By The Sea for a beach party. Rain and thunder cleared the beach of most folks and calmed the waters down. Once it cleared up, we headed out. I buddied with Kevin and Justin, and headed for the second reef. Vis was way down and there was a good surge. Oh well. Ken, Jaye, and Simon followed Marvel out to the ledges where the vis cleared up nicely.
Marvel provided a dunk bucket for gear. Then it was off to Mulligans for a bit to eat before saying out goodbyes. Awesome weekend everybody. Very nice seeing everybody, and meeting new folks, Toby and family, Justin, Charlie, Ken, Jaye, Kevin, Jeff. Hopefully I didn't miss any one. ken and Jaye, I am so glad to have met ya'll. Ya'll are more than welcome here anytime, even got a couch, er, ok an airbed to sleep on! Good seeing everybody else also. Andy, wish we coulda dived a bit more together. You are so fun. OH, I think I have a Tshirt of yours. Chuck, the hat was perfect for the weekend, but I really missed the smell of flowers :D, of course nice seeing ya again. Krista, always good seeing ya. Marvel, you were a wonderful host, as always. Simon, my bud, you know where the couch is, you are welcome. Good diving with ya and chatting (what did you say?) with ya.
Angie and Rick, next time we shall do a dive or two.
Ok, if I missed anybody, my sincere apologies. I am still trying to recover from the boat, and its early in the morning, sans coffee..

When is the next party?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom